iPhone X Will people be self-conscious using the iPhone XR in public knowing it’s the cheap model?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hieveryone, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Hieveryone, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018

Hieveryone macrumors 68040

It wouldn’t be good for some people’s image if they bought the iPhone XR and rocked it in public bc people will think they don’t have the money to buy the best.

Anyone who wants to show out might be hesitant to buy XR for this reason.

—————————————————————-

EDIT:

iPhones are ABSOLUTELY a status symbol in other countries. So please don’t say it’s not. In America no, but yes for many places.

In fact, I had heard the gold color was aimed for Asia markets bc it’s considered good luck and symbol of wealth for many.

2. Ceviche Lover, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018

Ceviche Lover macrumors regular

This is a troll post, right? Either that or you must live in Asia where people care about this kind of stuff.

And believe me no one cares about your 'image'. You're a schmuck just like the rest of us.

3. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

I'm actually sorry for people that feel self-cosncious because they own a new, 750$ phone and I also feel bad for people that feel like the 1% because they own a 1400$ phone.

4. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

I knew who the OP was without having to look. I'm not even kidding. No offence, Hieveryone, but you need to get over your iPhone based insecurities. You've made threads asking people if you should get every iPhone since the 7, I think.

It's just a phone. Do whatever you want. No one cares.

5. Nantucket macrumors newbie

Nantucket

I am actually considering the 256GB XR and I already have the X.Great features for the price and the 6.1 size would be perfect for me.I have also always wanted a blue iPhone and the Blue XR looks amazing in the pics Apple posted.

6. puma1552 Suspended

OP and boltjames are the only two who'd care.

I bought an iPhone 8 last year because I am poor low class scum who can't chum with the likes of those who measure their self worth entirely by a low four figure purchase. 1 large? Oooh, such baller status - just screams wealth and status.

In your 20s, you care what people think. In your 30s, you don't care what people think. In your 40s, you realize nobody was ever thinking about you at all.

Oh, and everyone has an iPhone, so nobody cares, period.

7. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

Really? Since when did $700 become the new "cheap". Might as well say people feel self-conscious driving an Accord, when a Ferrari costs 10 times as much.

8. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

Do people who drive Toyotas, Hondas and Fords feel self-conscious when they drive to the store knowing that they aren't driving a Mercedes or Lexus?

What a ridiculous thread.

EDIT: I7guy and I appeared to have been posting car analogies at the same time!

9. fryfrkhlly macrumors regular

fryfrkhlly

I don’t give two ***** what people think when I have my Xr in hand. I like it so there. I think you need to step down from your soap box.

10. airlied macrumors 6502

airlied

who give a sheet about what phone you are using? are you living in Africa or something?

11. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You post like you are in high school.

Self worth does not come from a iPhone.

Time to step back and take personal inventory of your thought process. It needs a lot of growing.

12. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

Who gives a ****? It’s a phone buy what you like. Maybe some people like the XR cause of the different colors. I kinda do an I own an X. There’s a few guys on here wanting to sell their X and get an XR

13. Yogosans14 macrumors regular

Nope. I’ll love using my bezeless Face ID display while others will be stuck with huge white bezels with the old home button.

14. jeremiah256 macrumors 65816

jeremiah256

With the advantages that come with using iMessage, you may catch crap from Apple using friends and family for not having an iPhone, but unless you're hanging out with people named Chad or Tiffany, no one really cares what model iPhone you use. I know plenty of people who are doing very well who are still on the iPhone 5S or prefer the SE.

15. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

The iPhone X is the Apple flagship iPhone. Nothing has changed today other than a slightly less expensive model for those who don't need an OLED screen.

With a selling price of $749 for a paltry 64GB the new XR still quite a luxury and quite a status symbol.

What today's releases tell us is that anyone with a forehead/chin iPhone is out of style and sitting back in coach. Have a Notch, you're flying first class.

16. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

I’m pretty sure that he/she is, but that’s not really an excuse.

17. coolbreeze2 macrumors 6502a

coolbreeze2

Cheap????? Ain't anything cheap about a $700 phone!

18. tl01 macrumors 68020

It’s sad if people buy things for status. I buy what works for me. It has nothing to do with price. If someone feels sad they have the “cheaper” phone then they might want to look into why they think their value comes from status symbols. My self worth isn’t in my phone.

I suspect the people who do this are also the ones who change the labels in the their cars to make them look like they bought a bigger engine etc.

19. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

I’m NOT saying it’s cheap. I’m saying it’s the “cheap” model meaning it isn’t the high end model.

And I’m not saying anyone SHOULD feel insecure at all.

What I’m saying is that there might be people out there who are like “I want the biggest and baddest out there, so I’ll just get the high end model.”

There are people like that. Maybe they’re insecure, maybe their friends are judegemental, maybe this, or maybe that.

But my point is still the same.

Creating different tiers creates “levels” for some people and those people might be forced to go high end even if they don’t want to or shouldn’t.

20. tl01 macrumors 68020

There are tiers in all parts of life...clothes, cars, houses.... you just need to focus on what you need. There is always someone who had more. Buy what you can afford. Otherwise therapy is a good option.

21. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

As self-conscious as they are using last year’s model...?

22. -C- macrumors regular

-C-

People are free to extend themselves as far as they can in order to portray any image of themselves they want, and some will certainly make bad decisions. Just have confidence in yourself and do what's best for you. The truth is that nobody really cares.

23. pdxmatts macrumors 68000

pdxmatts

You're kind of judgy with that remark

24. AndroidBlows Suspended

I definitely think so. Poor people will love this phone.

25. m0sher macrumors 6502

m0sher

In a case you won’t be able to tell the difference between 5.8 OLED X , 5.8 OLED XS or the 6.1 LCD displays at a distance.