Will phone screens hit 4K next year?

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
The note 4 has just launched at 1440p A larger iPhone is days away.

Do you think phones such as the Note 5 and iPhone 7 will hit 4k next year?
(link to sources if you have links)

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
My fear is that battery life takes a big hit for 4K and most phones don't have the battery to spare.

In a phone the screen is so small I doubt many people could tell the difference anyway. Pointless feature that just sucks battery life IMHO.

:apple:

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
My fear is that battery life takes a big hit for 4K and most phones don't have the battery to spare.

In a phone the screen is so small I doubt many people could tell the difference anyway. Pointless feature that just sucks battery life IMHO.

:apple:
My question has Oculus subtext.

If Samsung release a 4K note next year then the gear VR 2015 will be 4K as its simply clicks the note to the front.
If the 2015 Gear VR is 4K then the 2015 Oculus Rift surely has to be.

Suspended
Sep 15, 2012
No. There is no point. 4k has 2.5x as many pixels. That would be drastic overkill and destroy battery life. What's the point of having a 700-800 ppi display?

Building in the hardware to shoot 4K could be great- a high value benefit that would give us something to watch as we slowly transition to 4K TV sets. Right now, the lowest cost 4K camcorder is still a couple thousand, so if anyone could get it into a phone that costs $600-$1000, that would be a lot of value right there.

Building a phone screen to display all of the pixels in a 4K video is practically pointless. Your eyes couldn't see that level of detail on such a tiny screen. So let the screen max out just beyond what the best set of human eyes can see. But I would be interested in shooting at 4K (even though that will beg for big storage on board).

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I can't seem to figure out the point of anything higher than 1080p on a 5" phone.

Phil A.

Staff member
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Building in the hardware to shoot 4K could be great- a high value benefit that would give us something to watch as we slowly transition to 4K TV sets. Right now, the lowest cost 4K camcorder is still a couple thousand, so if anyone could get it into a phone that costs $600-$1000, that would be a lot of value right there.

Building a phone screen to display all of the pixels in a 4K video is practically pointless. Your eyes couldn't see that level of detail on such a tiny screen. So let the screen max out just beyond what the best set of human eyes can see. But I would be interested in shooting at 4K (even though that will beg for big storage on board).
There are already plenty of phones out there (including the S5, Note 3, Xperia Z2 and G3) that record 4K video - http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Camera/4K+video

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Thats already been done for a little while now.

EDIT : Sorry, I see someone else already mentioned this.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
The question isn't whether it would make sense to, or whether anyone would need/use/want it. (Hint: the answer right now is a resounding "No.")

The question is how quickly can Samsung throw together a 4K display with some plastic and couple it with a cringeworthy reveal and horrible ad campaign? Who knows, they've only introduced 4 different models of Galaxy Notes so far this year, and it's only September; they've still got 4 months to rush something to market, or at least throw together a keynote that doesn't include a price, specs, or launch date.

Last edited:

asharahmed

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2014

No, I don't think so. Why would you want 4K on phone screen. That would kill battery life and we would need to charge the phone like 3 times a day. 4K is for TV not cell phones but until we revolutionize the battery and find a better way to store power. No.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012

Android will hit it probably in 2 years. Apple 10 years at their current pace.

nfl46

macrumors 604
Oct 5, 2008
No point. That's extra battery life being sucked out of the device. Maybe in a few years, but in 2014, 1440P is pointless on a mobile device.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2011
USA
4K resolution will hit next year as the Galaxy S6 is already said to support it. As far as iPhone goes, 4K is YEARS away as the iPhone 6 5.5" doesn't even hit 1K resolution let alone 2K.

Celtic Warrior

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Toronto, ON
4K resolution will hit next year as the Galaxy S6 is already said to support it. As far as iPhone goes, 4K is YEARS away as the iPhone 6 5.5" doesn't even hit 1K resolution let alone 2K.
LOL, it's does not even have 720p resolution though. :D Hopefully, they'll improve screen resolution and camera pixel for 6

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Aside from marketing to fools, why would they? The iPhone 5 series already has more pixels than you can literally see. I get the higher density on larger models to line up with making 2X and 3X the current display resolution. But if these phone makers just start throwing more pixels on there, WHY? It serves zero functional purpose. In fact, it is a drawback on battery life because you have to push out the pixels using the same battery.

Alas, I'm sure Samsung or someone will do it because they're out of useful ideas. I mean they did make a phone with a damn stylus.