Will Prime Minister Theresa May or Andrea Leadsom be as great as the magnificent Maggie Thatcher?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Jul 6, 2016.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Fascinating that the Tories have two female contenders for the PM job, either one who will beat Jeremy Corbyn like a red-headed stepchild. Which reminds me, why doesn't Labour proffer a female candidate? Seems utterly sexist.

2. cube macrumors G5

3. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Sourced and everything. Inconvenient truths a troll thread do not make.

4. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think that if it does come down to May or Leadsom, then the future of Britain in Europe will become a lot clearer: If Leadsom is picked by the Tories, then she will pull the ripcord on Article 50 fairly promptly. If it turns out that May is the choice, then I think she will have a relatively clear mandate that the party constituencies do not back Brexit, and ergo she use this to keep Britain in the EU.

The Brexit vote was always the result of an unholy alliance of Far-right Tories; neoracist Skippers, and the deluded luddite labor faction.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Leadsom doesn't want to leave though.

6. cube macrumors G5

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well it's oppotunistic - that's what Ken Clarke thinks.

8. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Yes but the duplicitous standards (for not calling out the 'Murican Republicans on the same issue) imply such. Or did we miss your thread on that issue?

9. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

'Will Prime Minister Theresa May or Andrea Leadsom be as great as the magnificent Maggie Thatcher?'

I think I might vomit.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yes, lets idolize the Neoliberals that started the chain of events in economic policy that has brought us to today. You know what they say, if it doesn't work for 40 years, just double down again (and again, again, again, again).

11. mildocjr macrumors 65816

What's opportunistic is that you all don't have to vote between Trump and Clinton. Look at the brighter side of things.

12. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Nonetheless, prescient. Give it a little time ;) Repeated fancies might a troll thread make.

13. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think suggesting that either May or Leadsom rising to the level of Thatcherite renown is perhaps a little premature. But I'll give the OP the benefit of the doubt on a headline. In fact any headline that isn't about the persecution of American gun owners or the bloodlust of Barack Obama gets at least a passing grade in my book.

If either May or Leadsom successfully manage a turnaround of the moronic, childish spasm of the Brexit vote, they'll jump instantly - in my estimation - to the upper reaches of the British PM Pantheon. Maybe not Churchill or Attlee territory. But ahead of Heath; Wilson; Chamberlain; Eden; Cameron and the rest of marked cards in the deck of jokers.

14. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Margaret Thatcher and Prince “Bandar Bush” bin Sultan negotiated the 1980s (and still continuing) oil-for-arms deal ‘Al-Yamama,’ which later brought us 9/11, as $100,000+ from Bandar’s family account, provided to lead 9/11 hijackers, originated in Britain from the ‘Al-Yamama’ deal.

In 2014, Fmr. Sen. Bob Graham, when asked by Matthew Ogden of LaRouchePAC, said that if the 28 pages were public we would have the answers pertaining to this. It is one reason the British government is named and detailed in the 28 pages: British-Saudi covert terror slush fund.

Learn more:

Interview With Senator Bob Graham: Expose The Saudi Role in 9/11

6:12 - 8:20

H.Res.14 - Urging the president to release information regarding the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks upon the United States.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-resolution/14/text

Urging the president to release information regarding the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks upon the United States.

Whereas President George W. Bush classified 28 pages of the Joint Inquiry into Intelligence Activities Before and After the Terrorist Attacks of September 2001;

Whereas the contents of the redacted pages are necessary for a full public understanding of the events and circumstances surrounding the September 11, 2001, attacks upon the United States;

Whereas the [Obama] executive branch’s decision to maintain the classified status of these [28] pages prevents the people of the United States from having access to information about the involvement of certain foreign governments in the terrorist attacks of September 2001; and

Whereas the people of the United States and the families of the victims of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks deserve full and public disclosure of the results of the Joint Inquiry: Now, therefore, be it
    Resolved, That it is the sense of the House of Representatives that—

(1) the President should declassify the 28-page section of the Joint Inquiry into Intelligence Community Activities Before and After the Terrorist Attacks of September 2001; and

(2) the families of the victims and the people of the United States deserve answers about the events and circumstances surrounding the September 11, 2001, attacks upon the United States.​

In the interview above, Bob Graham’s 2011 book Keys to the Kingdom is mentioned. Its cover is Sheikh Zayed Mosque in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UAE), which is the third foreign government in the 28 pages: Saudi Arabia, UAE, and Britain.

Sheikh Zayed Mosque

SZM.jpg

15. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

16. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

It's extremely rare to hear Thatcher, great and magnificent in the same sentence I have to say lol.

17. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Unless he lives in the UK and as such knows the culture and policies in the only fully relevant way, never mind her policies were not as revered there by as many Britons...
    --- Post Merged, Jul 7, 2016 ---
    Agreed, but re-reading the subject headline - that is seemingly more a debate based on opinion than a fact, since her policies were contentious and also arguably hurt a lot of people. How does hurting people make one great? Since you must be a British citizen in living the experience to know how great she must be, you must know firsthand and thus can edify us, who either observed or experienced how said policies hurt.

18. sim667 macrumors 65816

Margaret Thatchers "greatness" is definitely a subjective view.

Whoever out of these two becomes PM, they will have done so by undemocratic means. Their victory will be hollow, and undoubtedly will lead to yet more austerity in a time of economic downturn caused by Brexit.

The future of the UK, looks bleak and uncertain.

19. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Lady Thatcher's "greatness" mirrors that of Reagan's. The rose coloured lenses of several decades erases a plethora of sins.

20. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

I have seen a couple of interviews with Andrea Leadsom, and she performed very well in both.

Despite being asked some despicable questions by the liberal media, she responded with intelligence and dignity. She is my favourite to become Prime Minister.

21. cube macrumors G5

22. sim667 macrumors 65816

Not surprising to see you supporting a homophobe for PM to be honest.....

23. cube macrumors G5

24. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Despicable questions? Like what?

25. sim667 macrumors 65816

Channel 4 asked her if god ever speaks to her. Which I imagine that @Benjamin Frost (who I think is a pretty hardline Christian, or certainly purports to be), is probably saying is a "despicable question".

Thank god they didn't get onto her links with an anti gay christian group.