Will "pwning" and restoring with custom IPSW via PwnageTool erase my iPhone's data?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by asherman13, Apr 23, 2008.

1. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Okay, here's what I mean:

If I use PwnageTool.app to "pwn" my iPhone and create a custom IPSW for my iPhone, and then install said custom IPSW through iTunes in the way described here, will I lose all of the Notes, Text Messages, Visual Voicemails, Ringtones, Contact Favorites, Widgets, volume preferences/settings, etc. that I have saved on my iPhone, and which are backed up every time I sync via iTunes?

If doing all that stuff with PwnageTool.app WILL erase that data, is there any way for me to get it back? Any way at all?

Thanks so much, looking forward to getting some help!

2. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

Right, have you ever restored before and it comes up with an option of replacing the backed up data or making it a new phone?

Well once you have restored with the custom IPSW you will get the same option. Just choose to restore all the data back on the phone and it should be fine :) Contacts and calendar events are also backed up wherever you have them on the computer.

3. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Yeah, but the last time I did a restore was last summer, and I hardly remembered it.

Also, the FAQ here on the forums for using PwnageTool (here) says to

Please forgive me for being skeptical, but have you actually done this AND retained your settings? (EDIT I just saw your signature that says you have a 1.1.4 jailbroken phone, so did you retain/replace the backed up data?) No offense meant whatsoever; I'm just pretty worried about all this, and if you've actually done it successfully and retained your notes, widget placement, contact favorites, text messages, etc., that would be great.

Also, I plan on just "reactivating" my AT&T plan via iTunes... I'll be able to do that too, right?

Thanks!

4. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

Ok, thanks so much!!
    The thing is.... the restore didn't work... idk why. it's as if none of the data was actually backed up =(

Would you know where this backup is located?? maybe I can delve into it and gather the "lost data."

5. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Your settings, notes, SMS, etc ARE backed up to MobileSync.

MAC OSX
    Finder > User > Home Folder > Library > Application Support > MobileSync

The jury is still out on whether this can cause problems if the backup was on a Pwned iPhone. Doesn't hurt to try though. I can't imagine the backup 'knows' to save any Cydia apps anyway.

6. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

cool. thnx. i deleted the files in the MobileSync Folder so that they no longer show up on iTunes when i want to restore a device.

7. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

ha, well that's not good now is it!

8. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

its ok. it would just bother me. i don't need it anyway.

9. dranakin macrumors 6502

Any other word if restoring from a jailbroken backup on a non-jailbreak is damaging?