Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robins2001

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2003
i have quicktime 6.5 pro, just wondering if it will play mpeg4 video

thanks

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Yes but it is a pain in the ass. Divx.com has made it easier in the last year, but I still stick with VLC or MPlayer.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Either grab the necessary divx codecs for QuickTime, as they should do the trick, or, (and this would be my recommendation), grab VLC. I have yet to come across ANY video format or file that I cannot play through VLC. MPlayer is good too, but I never need to use it since everything I watch plays through VLC quite nicely. :cool:

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Re: will quicktime play mpeg4 or divx?

Originally posted by robins2001
i have quicktime 6.5 pro, just wondering if it will play mpeg4 video

thanks
You can download the free DivX codec from the DivX web site. As JFreak said, QuickTime plays MPEG 4 out of the box. This new format is based on QuickTime. AAC, MPEG 4's audio format, is the preferred format of iTunes and is the format of songs on the iTMS.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
The latest DIVX codec is quite fast and efficient, and I haven't had any problems with it. They have eliminated the stupid verification process that you previously had to do to get it to work, so it's now pretty easy to use. If you want to use quicktime to play DIVX then you will probably want to play full screen:

Compile this script in script editor, then turn on the scripts menu in the menubar and put this little bugger in as a compiled script, then just select the script from the menu to play the movie full screen:

Code:
tell application "Quicktime"
activate
present movie
end tell

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.