Will removing a device from "manage devices" in iTunes unlink an iPhone from an ID?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gary500, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Gary500 macrumors regular

Gary500

Hi guys, I recently sold a phone to a buyer on Amazon, but instead of clicking "erase all content and settings," I DFU restored it via iTunes.

So now that the seller has the phone, when he tries to activate it, it gives him this message:

[​IMG]

So I went to manage devices and unassociated the device and removed its support profile on my Apple ID's support page. Will this fix the issue or does he have to login with my ID and wipe the phone himself? :confused: Thanks in advance guys.

2. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

You should of erased all contents and settings.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sounds like you had installed an iOS 7 beta on it before and you enabled the anti theft feature on it.
    So nobody will be able to get passed that screen without that info. And once entered correctly will have to go to settings on ios7 and turn it off so he won't need your password again.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't have 7 so this is just a guess, but are you able to disable the lock through www.icloud.com?

5. Gary500 thread starter macrumors regular

Gary500

You guys are correct, I had the beta and DFUed to 6.1.4 without erasing the content. I just logged onto my iCloud and sent an erase request (is this the same thing as erase all content and settings?). Hopefully this will solve the problem and allow the other person to activate the phone.

6. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

It won't! You need to give him your Apple ID details to activate the phone - hence the reason for this feature. It's to stop thieves activating stolen devices. There is currently no way around this. Perhaps let him send it back to you and you can pay the postage so you can fix the problem and send it back?? Best advice I have without actually giving your details out.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No that will not help him either, you sold him a phone that he will never be able to use without entering your info. So the least thing you should do for putting the buyer through all that is give him the login and password and after a he gets in and restores it and disables that feature you can change your password for your iTunes login.

◾In iOS 7, if Find my iPhone is enabled (Settings > iCloud -> Find my iPhone), it won’t be possible to turn it off without entering the Apple ID password. This is to ensure that someone who has access to your iPhone, cannot disable it without your knowledge.

◾You also can’t restore the device if Find my iPhone is enabled. iTunes will inform you that the device cannot be restored as Find my iPhone is on. So the only way to restore it is to first turn off Find my iPhone, which as we mentioned earlier, will prompt you to enter the Apple ID password.

◾If someone tries to erase all the content and settings from the device via the Settings app, he or she will be prompted to enter the Apple ID password.

◾You can restore the device by putting it in DFU or recovery mode when it is Lost mode, however after restoring your device, the person will be prompted to enter the Apple ID and password, so it won’t be possible to use the device.

◾In iOS 7, if you remotely wipe the data on your lost or stolen device using Find my iPhone, you will still be able to display the custom message with your phone number on the Lock screen. iTunes will also display this message when you connect the device to a computer running iTunes.

◾If you are lucky to get your device back, you can reactive it by entering your Apple ID and password, and restore it using iCloud or iTunes if you had remotely wiped the data.

8. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I think some of the "IOS7" find my phone features were actually implemented in the new version of Find My Phone app that came out a few weeks ago.

Hopefully, the instructions about how to truly clear your phone so you can sell it etc. will be published so people can follow them.
    I wonder how many phone that can't be re-used without these steps will arrive at all these reselling locations, I assume the Apple stores will know what you have to do before they take trade-ins.