Will Republicans vote for a Democrat when the alternative is Trump?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by C64, Feb 26, 2016.

1. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

As a non-American, I'm trying to understand what Republican voters will do when Trump becomes the Republican nominee.

I've been reading a lot about and listening to podcasts about the elections so far. Most analysts kept repeating that even though Trump and his supporters get a lot of press, the rest of the world should understand that their views are not a representation of the US as a whole. It's "just a slice of a slice". Only a certain percentage is Republican, and only a certain percentage of that votes for Trump.

However... as the primaries go on, Trump keeps winning and the other candidates don't seem to be gaining much ground. Most analysts start to agree that time is running out, and if this continues, Trump will actually win.

So what happens to that "slice of a slice" when it's just Trump? Will all the Republicans that don't want Trump as a president suddenly start voting for the Democratic nominee? Or will they stick with their party, and have to vote for Trump, because they'll still view him as the lesser of two evils?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Some will stick with Trump because they hate Clinton more, and others will decide to stay home. Probably a few will switch over, but it won't be many.

3. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Some Republicans may not want Trump, but they reaaaaaally don't want Hillary. I think that will influence the voting pattern.

In other news, Republicans are seeing incredibly high voting turnouts this primary season, of which Trump is winning.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yes, but he is generally only winning a third at the most. A lot of the high turn out may be driven by people wanting anyone but Trump. The problem for them is that the vote has been split too may ways so Trump is still able to pull off wins.

5. Strider64 macrumors regular

Strider64

As a person who is generally in the middle (Libertarian) I usually vote who the best candidate is be it Republican or Democrat, for the Libertarian Party can't seem to become a viable 3rd party choice. However, if it's Trump -vs- Clinton then either I won't vote (which isn't considered very "unAmerican" by some people) or I vote for the Libertarian candidate knowing I'm just throwing my vote away. There just something about Trump that I don't trust and Clinton is your typical corrupt politician.

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

If Hitlary gets nominated, many democrats will vote for Trump.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think you're being overly optimistic, there may be some Sanders supporters who are for him because he is different and just want to watch the system burn that will vote for Trump, but the majority of Sanders supporters will go to Clinton, with a few staying home.

8. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Why can't it be a viable choice? Because nobody votes for that candidate. In short, aren't Libertarians choosing to let their own party be a joke if they prefer to wallow in the old cliche of "lesser of two evils"? The same is said for Green party people and others. Vote your conscience and your beliefs, or else isn't that a form of corruption as well?

But we're all individuals, or else we're not while pretending and deluding ourselves into believing we are.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 26, 2016 ---
    Or not vote or make puerile and heinous namecalling because there Hillary has done nothing like what Hitler did. Wanna see what Hitler was about? Watch "Schindler's List" while sober.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Ha, how many democrats will vote Trump because they see the DNC stealing from BS and giving it to Hillary?

10. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

They will stay home if they don't vote for Trump. I don't see any card carrying Republican voting for Hillary.

11. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Not so fast. There are many neocons who would vote for Clinton over Trump just because of her more hawkish foreign policy.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If Bernie doesn't get the nomination, I see him doing the same thing Hillary did in 2008 and throwing his support and urging his followers to vote for Hillary.

13. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

If that Democrat was Bernie, maybe.

Hillary? No way.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 26, 2016 ---
    That doesn't mean his followers will listen or agree.

#BernieorBust is their latest movement now.

14. 1458279 Suspended

Don't take our media at face value. They are puppets, bought and paid for. Look at the trust factor for our media. I don't know where you live, but I can only guess that media all over the world (except maybe BBC) are just puppets for whoever pays them.

Trump has struck a nerve. The same nerve that cost the Speaker his job and Canter (#2 most powerful?) his job. That nerve runs very deep and Trump is pulling people from the Dems, which might explain their very sad turnout.

Bernie struck another nerve with a different slice of the pie. His is much more left.

The upside of Trump is that he is Left on some issues, he speaks his mind. He'll bring in people from the Left and most of the Right that don't want him will vote for him because he'll fix the economy and other important Right issues.

It won't be like Romney because Romney didn't pull in anyone new.

Don't forget the polls have been really far off because the use old tech for the polls and most people have gone mobile.

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The republican establishment is crumbling, and thats a good thing. All the establishment candidates are copies of each other, like Rubio and Cruz? What's the difference? That's why Trump is winning - he's different and he's a leader.

16. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I think Trump could be a really interesting candidate since he can say almost anything , maybe even attack Clinton from the left on some stuff. He has already started his pivot by saying things like

'[M]illions and millions of women—cervical cancer, breast cancer—are helped by Planned Parenthood. So you can say whatever you want, but they have millions of women going through Planned Parenthood that are helped greatly.'

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Yeah there positions on topics such as abortion, planned parenthood, same sex marriage and religion that GOP candidates have to be on a side with. These things need to be updated.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

no thanks.

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

No way in hell any republican votes for Clinton over Trump.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I would vote for bust, too bad nobody running has one.

21. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Republican Congress won't give Trump the free reign that Barry enjoyed when Democrats ruled the Congress.

If Trump gets elected, we will survive. Just like we did with Obama.

We're better off with him, than Hillary.

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I think this editorial is hitting it pretty much spot on with Trump, with exception being one thing.

http://www.sacbee.com/opinion/op-ed/ben-boychuk/article62494132.html

If it is plain to this guy to see, then we know that the Republican Party is dying a painful death, and Lincoln and Roosevelt would be beside themselves.

BL.

23. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Trump is saying what the righties want to hear because he knows they will lap it up without question.

I have a funny feeling that if Trump wins he will be much more moderate or even slightly liberal on some issues than most of his voters think.

24. XrayTed macrumors regular

XrayTed

Short answer, no.
    More likely more dems will vote for Trump when they are faced with Shillary.

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

sure hope so.........