Will Samsung cope with literally dozens of sales from unhappy iPhone owners?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Moccasin, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Caution ... This post may contain irony

Reading posts on this forum, anyone would think that the SGS2 (or whatever) is going to clean up as "hordes" of unhappy iPhone owners swap to the big screen.

So will Samsung be able to cope and will Apple notice the dip in sales?

I don't doubt that for some this is a big issue but from what I read, anyone would think that Apple will be disappointed/ruined* and will have failed unless all iPhone 4 owners swap to the 4S/5*

Given how many 3GS were sold, I imagine that Apple will have enough to cope with meeting the demand for those who do buy the new model.

* delete as applicable

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

No the unhappy ones will stick with there 3GS or ip4 for the most part as the sg2 is outside the apple Eco system of iTunes!

3. Moccasin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Or Apple will have a must-have feature that will allow upgraders to demonstrate that they have the newest model.

Forgive my cynicism...

4. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Maybe but you also have to go out and heavily promote the GS2 to the masses since most of the general public do not follow tech like we do. This means Samsung has to run ads on how the GS2 is better than the iPhone. Carriers won't do this since iPhone probably brings them a lot of revenue.

5. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

You must be really bored to be reading through all of these threads and posting in them, lol. I'm sure Tim won't cancel the announcement if you go to bed. :D

6. Moccasin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

Yep I was. On a long train journey.

7. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Agreed.

While Galaxy S II is a superb phone, Android and it's ecosystem are far from Apple's.

8. ggmissmolly macrumors regular

Well I'm a 3GS owner who is waiting until 2PM PDT to make my decision. I own a new MacBook Pro, a 27 inch iMac, and an iPad 2 in addition to my phone. The interconnected Apple environment and the superior operating system,
    OS X, are the reason I have these items. I do not think ios is superior to android. Maybe ios5 will be.

That said, IF the new iPhone is as lame as this forum tends to believe, I will have a Sammy GS2 by nightfall (if my ATT store still has one when I get there). Like it or not, android has doubled sales over iOS. That's not fanboys making up crap defensively. It's real people making a selection and spending their money. Are they dumb as oxen? Quite likely, but so is most the rest of the human race so that is not the correct factor. The delay is meaningful. No problem having technical issues to resolve. It happens. But after the delay there better be something other than a few new components stuffed in the same old glass box with same old useless antennae.

9. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

The Sammy GS2 timing on AT&T is very interesting. They are certainly going to capitalize on the imminent iPhone let down.

The general public (at least the folks I work with) have all gotten over their starry-eyed worship of the iPhone and have moved on to HTCs and Samsungs (all with larger screens). At least I'll have company.

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

Samsung will be as busy as Canadian Immigration was after the last election. Lots of people swore they'd move to Canada if their choice didn't get elected, not many followed through. :D

(# people saying they'll go buy Samsung) > (# people who actually follow through)

11. Stealthipad, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

If Samsung can't cope, Amazon will. They got plenty to sell.

I think Amazon is actually renting Apple server time for this big event! BUT, Amazon has all the servers you could ever need. The bottle neck is the stupid carriers.

If Apple only is offering the 4S, I do not think it will be that busy!

12. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

My iPhone 4 is the only apple product I have owned. I have had android phones before. After the announcement today I will decide between the new iPhone and the sgs2, for my mom wants my iPhone 4. Either way I'm sure I'll be happy :D

13. Krandor macrumors 6502

Honestly, if you don't like what the announcement today brings I would not rush to get a SG2. I would wait for the Nexus Prime which will be the first ICS phone and since it is a nexus will get upgrades faster then other phones.

Personally, I think I am going to get the ip5 and think the negative hype is being blown way out of proportion by Android fanboys, but if I was going to go android it would be the nexus not the SGS2.

14. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

If Apple & Co weren't threatened by the Galaxy S 2, then why resort to litigation?

You're in Europe, so you should recall Apple's recent patent complaint about the Galaxy S phones which resulted in Samsung to change the image gallery software.

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    So might this response :)

Depends on whether you believe everything Apple says.

According to Apple's own testimony in their lawsuits against Samsung, then yes, Apple's revenue will be hugely impacted.

Or do you think that Apple is ... well... exaggerating a bit?

No need for ads. According to Apple and some members here, the general public is easily fooled into accidentally buying Samsung products because they both have white boxes.

16. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Any iPhone that Apple releases will sell through the roof. If it's a letdown they may lose come customers but they'll still sell so many that they won't keep up with demand. Apple is Apple and whether you like it or not anything they make sells well. That's why they have more cash than the US Government.

17. 314631 macrumors 6502a

Windows Phone will be the main beneficiary from Apple's disastrous product announcements today.

[​IMG]

18. Krandor macrumors 6502

have you seen this disastorous announcement already? If so, give us some details.

19. eddieaus macrumors regular

lol, that's one funny photo:D that better not be photoshopped.

20. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

They photoshopped an arse on his face.....

OH WAIT THAT IS HIS FACE! :eek:

21. gyorpb macrumors member

To protect their intellectual property.

.tsooJ

22. 314631 macrumors 6502a

Search youtube for:
    ballmer developers

:)

23. PhoneI macrumors 65816

As a one time owner of a S2, I think a lot of iPhone 4 owners who decide to switch will be greatly disappointed.

24. auxsend macrumors regular

auxsend

Actually, the Galaxy just came out this week. So Samsung may see a lot GS2's fly out the doors after 2 pm today.

Even more so, the next Nexus will be just as, if not more formidable of an opponent. Cause it's gonna be pretty sick.

The iPhone 4s is just gonna be a boring spec bump glorified by an updated OS. Yippee...

The iPhone 5, should it happen, would put Apple right at the even mark.

25. ryuok macrumors regular

But the problem is that the GS2 is NOT better than the iPhone.