Will Series 2 watches disappear soon? How long do they float out there in retail?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by XciteMePls, Sep 17, 2017.

1. XciteMePls macrumors member

I know it's getting phased out but it actually is the best Apple Watch to get right now, yes even more than the 3 because it's cheaper and with almost the same specs and features minus the gimped, half baked LTE implementation and battery life on the series 3.

So my question is do I need to snatch a SS series 2 ASAP or can I wait until a few weeks from now when the 3 is out and big box retailers start discounting prices further?

Thanks

2. IJBrekke macrumors 6502

This is what I was worried about as well, as we don't know what stock levels retailers have. Inevitably, there will be some sales on remaining S2 models that will be discounted. But I would guess that the stainless models will disappear quickly, as there's plenty of people that wanted a non-LTE S3 stainless, leaving the S2 stainless as their next best option. This may also help keep the resale value of the S2 stainless higher than previous models, as it still serves as the "latest" generation of a specific case/feature combination.

All to say, this is why I bought a refurb S2 from Apple's site this morning. I'm sure they will be available cheaper, but I'd rather not wait multiple months and still potentially miss out on the model I want.

3. desertrat23 macrumors member

I picked up an S2 Nike yesterday at the Apple store for 20% off. I was happy with the price. Guy at the store said it was the last one they had, so I'd get on it quick.

4. XciteMePls thread starter macrumors member

Damn guys are you really gonna convince me to drop $500 right now on the Stainless Steel Series 2 42mm? I'm coming from a series 0 which I bought in July 2015, it's so slow and the battery life has been sucking lately. Is it worth the upgrade to S2?

My wallet will hate me :(

5. IJBrekke macrumors 6502

Don't know yet, but I'll definitely update when mine arrives since I'm moving from an S0. Sorry about your wallet!

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Worth is up to you. If you feel that you would truly appreciate the upgrade to the Series 2, then why not take advantage of it, assuming it's in your budget also. But I do agree, stock will continue to diminish for the Series 3 Makes its Way into stores starting this Friday.

7. v1597psh macrumors regular

v1597psh

Series 3 without cellular is actually cheaper than Series 2 Aluminium was before the apple event. Right now on Amazon, here in U.K., Series 2 aluminium is more expensive than Series 3 Aluminium without Cellular when buying from Apple. I don't think that prices on Series 2 will drop dramatically until the stock runs out. The best way for you is just to wait for discounts on Series 3 from third-party resellers if you don't want to pay the retail price.

8. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

As a former S0 owner who recently upgraded to the S2 Nike+ I can confirm that it is totally worth the upgrade. It's fast and the battery life is great. 40 hours easily. It's like the Apple Watch should have been from the start. Do it!

9. doodads macrumors 6502

doodads

I had a S0 42 mm SBSS that I sold last week. I ordered a 42mm S2 SBSS from B&H for $499.99, no sales tax and free shipping. It will arrive today. I saw today that the Apple Refurb site no longer has 42mm SBSS watches.

10. desertrat23 macrumors member

Definitely! I couldn't be happier with this Watch and it's only been 48 hours.

11. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Watch the Apple refurb section, they're dropping their remaining stock on there. A bunch went up last week and I managed to snag one. It's brand new, so i wouldn't be surprised if they just took the remaining online store stock and move it to refurb.

12. Wise87 macrumors 6502

I order from B&H also. I didn’t want the Series 3 and I’m not interested in cellular. Decided to keep it simple and got the S2 42mm Aluminium with black band for $319 which included tax and expedited shipping. I wanted it mainly for the new heart rate apps coming in Watch OS4 along with time and notifications. Best deal I found for NIB.

13. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I would think that would be a lottery pick. There is no guarantee that you will receive a new Apple Watch in the box versus a refurbished Apple Watch that you might receive instead. But if you're fortunate like yourself, then you got a new one.

14. XciteMePls thread starter macrumors member

And it looks like most of the major Stainless Steel stock of the Series 2 has disappeared from trusted sites. This is ridiculous, how can that be? You're telling me a week after they announced the Series 3, all the brand new S2 SS watches are gone and sold out? They don't have any back stock?

I'm upset about that cuz I was waiting for a big price drop on the S2 watches before I pull the trigger, and now it looks like I either get the Series 3 which I don't have a need for LTE and that ugly red dot, and Series 1.

And no I won't order my $500+ watch from eBay. I wanted a trusted retailer.

15. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I have a 5 month old SS AW2 with Apple Care and I want to upgrade, but haven't found anyone interested in mine yet.

16. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

If you want Stainless Steel, there are no S1 stainless watches, just S0, S2 and S3LTE

I have a different issue that I could by a 42mm AW gold Aluminum S2 for $329 which is a significant savings from the original price, BUT I can get a S3 for just $30 more.... And of course there are trade offs in either direction (ceramic back (S2), faster chip, talking Siri (S3)). I feel like I can just wait until the holidays and the S3 will be discounted at least $30 so why buy an S2 for that price now.

17. Wise87 macrumors 6502

B&H still had AW2 SS listed for $499. No tax and free fast shipping.

18. Wise87 macrumors 6502

Don’t forget tax. I saw a bunch for $329 like Best Buy, etc And once tax was added you added more to your $30 savings.

19. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

Yeah... I've kept that in mind... Basically I'm hoping that B&H has a sale that brings either watch close to or at $300. That's when I'll pull the trigger on either S3 or S2. If not, other places like best buy would have to sell theirs for $280 or so for me to want to buy it.

20. verdejt macrumors 6502

verdejt

My Nike AW2 has a cracked screen and I have Apple Care. I was wondering when I go to get if fixed (replaced) if they will replace it with a Nike AW3

21. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It's like the same exact situation with my first generation Apple Watch, I had mine in mint condition and I could not find a potential buyer at all. It's like once new tech is released, nobody wants the old tech and everybody wants new tech. If it's priced right, it will sell. It's just a competitive market.

22. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

The only 'advantage' I have is that SS is only sold with LTE. Not everyone wants that.

23. TARHEELBRAND, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017

TARHEELBRAND macrumors newbie

TARHEELBRAND

Just ordered a series 2 through my carrier! 42mm alumninum space grey black sports band for 199.99 through my phone carrier! I also have a Red iPhone 7Plus and a 10.5 iPad Pro 2017! All I need now is Air Pods! Get them at Christmas!

24. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Also, if you were having difficulty trying to sell it, you could place it for sale on the market forum on Macrumors.

25. python0704 macrumors regular

python0704

Just a quick check on BH and found 43mm sport S2 sells 319. Doesn't seem a lot consider S3 sells for 359. $40 is too small gap consider S2 is a year old. I think there were lots of discounts over the past year for S2 and I got mine at similar price and enjoyed it for a year now. On the one side I'm happy my S2 still maintains good value but I would recommend S3. (And I ordered S3.)