Will silver 5s be the rarest color?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Legionnaire, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Legionnaire macrumors 6502

Seems like nobody wants it, everyone's fighting for gold and black. Opinions in 2 years will our resale be harder? I love silver personally, to me it was the only option to me. I'm sure everyon feels that way towards phone but is the silver backstoxked like gold too?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I don't think it will be worth any more than the others, but as far as stock goes, they certainly seem to have silver in most places....16,32 and 64GB models were available at my local Apple store yesterday, but no Gold...Ordered through Apple thinking it would be faster and it usually is...first time I've had to wait for a new phone after selling the previous model.

3. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

4. naughtynumber9 macrumors newbie

I don't think there are going to be any rare iPhones in a few months.

5. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

Nope, silver is very popular iphone color :D There are people who don't care about color they look for the storage options

6. dmystic1 macrumors regular

I originally wanted gold, but since my brother ordered that one and I figured it would be less of a wait (Ha) I ordered silver.

7. teribithia macrumors member

teribithia

The silver and black is good but so common , why not choose the gold one, it seems very cool. :D:D

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I like the silver one best. I definitely want one with a white front, so space grey is out. Silver pretty much is a neutral color and goes well with my college team's colors. Gold, on the other hand, is the color our in-state rival wears. Boo. I like the look of it, but boo.

I've got a $3 case to cover it all up with, though. Decided to grab a Monoprice case while ordering cables. Still might get a $40 red Apple case, but I wanted to make sure I had one. If I go that way, I'm out a total of $3 and still have a backup.

9. urkel macrumors 68030

Not everyone expresses what color they want/got. Silvers are selling out just fine.

Anyway, I cant wait until Apple gets back to the point where the conversations would be centered around what the phone does rather than what color it is.

10. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

THIS. It's insane that what people are worrying most about is color of a phone. My goodness how we have become such a prima donna society.

11. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

I got the Silver and love it. Best looking color to me.

12. CEmajr macrumors 601

The silver won't be rare. There are people who still like it.

As far a resale value goes the lowest will be the Space Gray since it is this generations "black" iPhone. The black iPhones typically have slightly lower resale value than the white ones.

13. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I saw a silver at best buy last night. I had considered the silver, but after seeing it I'm glad I am waiting for gold. It's fine. It's a nice color, but really, it's pretty similar to a white 4S, so it wasn't different enough. So, it was good, but not as good as I had thought.

14. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Good to know, Space Gray is the version i want :)

15. Gin Gin macrumors regular

Gin Gin

I ordered a silver one online. I finally got a look at the gold in person at an Apple Store a couple days ago. I frankly don't understand why Apple even bothered with the gold, or why people want it. The color difference is so subtle, you can barely tell the difference between the 2. To me the gold just looks like a tarnished or slightly dirty silver one.

16. dlondon macrumors regular

I ordered a silver 32GB online but got fed up of delays at Apple so I ended up ordering a 64GB from CPW. After I purchased it stated that delivery would be 3-4 days so I chanced a visit to the Apple store and ended up buying a 32GB space grey - only to discover my 64GB silver arrived on the same day.

So my dilemma is:

• Keep the silver 64GB (won't need the extra space and it's cost £80 more) but having always had black front iPhones, it'll be something new.
    • Keep the 32GB space grey with the 'play it safe' black front. Won't feel like a new phone having had a black slate iPhone 5 previously but is £80 cheaper.

Both are going to be in a black case anyway so it's just the front that will show. I don't know why but I struggle making unimportant decisions like this yet have no problems making important decisions at work that affect other people's lives!

17. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Mine is silver 32. Ordered at release online.

18. photogpab macrumors 6502

photogpab

I haven't been able to find the silver anywhere for my wife. I got my Space Grey when apple did that whole "reserve online for in store pick-up" thing on Monday... but as far as Silver goes I haven't found one anywhere.

19. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It's hard to say if silver will be the most rare color. It's the one I ordered, in 32GB and it's still "processing." I'm seeing others who ordered gold get theirs "shipping" now.

But most of the gold ones I saw were 64GB. Perhaps the 32GB phone (regardless of color) is the more popular one and thus taking longer to get going out the door.

20. jw6961 macrumors regular

jw6961

I was online at 3 am (east coast time) on 9/20 and ordered my 64gb silver for AT&T. All of my Apple devices are white & silver, so I wanted to keep the continuity ;)

I think once Apple catches up with demand for the gold iPhones in a few months, people won't feel like they have something that is so "rare" anymore & the wow factor that the gold iPhone now has will quickly wear off.

21. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

What the thread-starter meant was Silver would be the rarest color among the 3 available colors. Already it seems like everyone is going for either the gold or space grey options, so I would agree that silver would be the least sought after.

That said, I would buy a silver one if I was actually going for the 5S (still considering at the moment...).

Because gold is too mainstream....

22. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I don't think it will be worth more, but definitely the most rare as less seem to want it.

23. LagLiquidators macrumors member

LagLiquidators

Will any of the three iPhone colors be worth significantly more in resell? Probably not. None of these phones are rare. Even though the gold one seems to be rare, Apple sold 9 million iPhones over the first weekend. In a few months, supply and demand will level off. By the time iPhone 6 comes out, there will be millions of gold, silver and black for resell. They will bring as much s the market will allow.

24. JohnnyIOS macrumors member

A gold car or a silver car...hmmm

A gold laptop or a silver laptop...hmmm

An 80 year old woman with make-up and red nail polish...hmmm

Bottom line: it's the same ITEM. Just because you put make-up on an old hag doesnt mean shes more interesting lol. Besides, the only people I see wearing real gold nowadays are either punjabi indians, italians, arabs and black lolHipHop "stars". Silver to me is more chic (sp)

My door knobs are gold, my keys are "gold", my toilet handle is gold...I'll pass on gold. Even black looks more interesting.

25. Donoban macrumors 6502a

Donoban

Already thinking about resale value. Love it. Lolz.