Will Siri get better?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sdahe, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Sdahe, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Hello guys,

Since Siri is new and everyone is having so much fun with it... do you think that Apple will make Siri better. Maybe give it more personality and make it more like talking to a human. Also give Siri the power to delete applications, install them and other stuff that Siri doesn't do at this time.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think that they will keep improving Siri's functionality, but I also think it'll take some time.

3. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Not _everyone_ likes Siri.

I know that many find Siri amusing, useful, and unique, personally I've avoided it after the newness wore off.

Just like Face Time, another "feature" that was all the rage upon it's introduction, 99% of my friends & co workers don't use either of these.

Nothing about Siri appeals to me, even if it had more functionality I wouldn't use it.

4. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Well I think it's a very nice way to do things with your phone. Like sending sms messages by talking to it and the other things too.... like meetings, calendar, etc...

5. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

The OP didn't say everyone likes Siri. And, by everyone, I'm going to assume they meant, "of the people who use Siri, and find it useful".

6. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Thanks... that's whay I mean when I say everyone...

7. Antaios macrumors regular

Since I have iTunes Match and over 5000 songs available to me at all times, my favorite thing about Siri is telling her to play a specific song while I'm driving...

Me: "Siri, play Summertime by Will Smith"
    Her: "Ok, let's hear Summertime"
    Me: "Oh, I love you Siri"

8. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

I love Siri. Shes in beta still, so I think they'll improve her.

9. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I quote the OP's post:

"Since Siri is new and everyone is having so much fun with it"

Try reading this quote again. It seems like more & more people are misunderstanding what they read, no matter how clear it is written. Parsing words to meet ones needs is a poor approach.

10. sneaky butcher macrumors 6502

siri is built on 2 major things. 1. voice recognition 2. artificial intelligence

siri's 2 major problems are 1. voice recognition 2. artificial intelligence

the technology in these areas just isn't there yet its a veneer which has no depth. Same thing for google voice after initialy playing with it and demo-ing it to friends its went basically unused . Ive used voice to text in anger twice in 2 years while driving.

voice recognition- different accents & speech patterns make it unreliable understanding what your saying this causes frustration.

AI - well there is very little real AI going on. Phrase a question slightly wrong siri wont understand. Its easy to make siri fail.

It takes more effort and energy to yap to your phone and get it to do something than just tapping the screen a couple of times.

Some might find it useful in certain scenarios but the usefulness of voice commands or voice to text is very limited in my experience and is really a gimmick.

How many iphone users had siri installed and used it regularly on their iphone when it was on the app store? (before iphone 4s) That says it all.

11. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

It is still in beta so I should hope that it gets better. AI will get better with more user data, I believe this is why Apple released it to the public in the first place, this is very unlike them. It can only get better from here unless Apple stops development on it.

12. callum23 macrumors member

Siri is only new, like a new born baby. It will improve over time

13. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

No Apple would never update Siri. Confirmed.

14. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

15. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Siri needs improvement which I'm sure will come:
    The voice recognition is definitely an improvement, but the "AI" is not really there yet.

For example, I tried asking it to set a reminder to buy my wife a card 5 days before her birthday and it couldn't parse the request to calculate the date, despite the fact I can ask when her birthday is and it will tell me

Also, little things like asking what the time is to get the response "I don't know what time it is in England", but asking "what time it is in england" will tell you the correct time are annoying

About the only thing I've used siri for after a day of playing is to call people when I'm in the car, but voice control used to do that perfectly well too. I will remain open-minded about siri, but it definitely isn't the massive leap forward it was portrayed as yet

16. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

For me sometimes it's hard for Siri to understand me... I always try to talk to her clearly but she keeps saying... "I didn't quite get that"...

17. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

And this is seriously a thread? They're going to make SIRI worse?? C'mon man lol

18. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Well the forum's is name is MacRumors... so talking about what's going to happen with Siri may be a rumor. What's wrong about that?

19. sneaky butcher macrumors 6502

put on your best american accent and it will work better. :)

20. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

hahahahahaha.. :D

21. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Nothing wrong with speculation by any means... Asking if it's going to get better is like asking if Apple is going to take the iPhone seriously. Obviously they're not going to make SIRI worse :rolleyes:

22. tanhm macrumors regular

tanhm

sure.....:D

we will get better... :D

23. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

"do you think that Apple will make Siri better"​

Of course it will get better. That is why they have it and said its in BETA. :confused:

24. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I think that Siri is already better than when it was introduced.

The speech to text has also GREATLY improved.

25. sneaky butcher macrumors 6502

you think they will add puerto rican accent to their database so it can understand the OP better ?