Will Siri work with other apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by protobiont, Oct 5, 2011.

1. protobiont macrumors 6502a

Has anyone heard anything about Siri's ability to interface with various apps, like if we have a todo app or an alternative calendar app?

I'm guessing that this is not possible, but this might bring to the forefront the need for more inter-app integration in the next version of iOS.

2. f00f macrumors 65816

f00f

From what I understand there are no APIs for 3rd party apps to interact with Siri. At least not yet.

However any app that takes keyboard input will take dictation via Siri.

Scheduling an appointment in a 3rd party calendar app via Siri -- probably not.

3. ap3604 macrumors 68000

This could be what is going to take Siri over the top. Imagine if each app developer could code some Siri commands into their app such as:

"Start mapquest and have it navigate me to 123 main street"

"Open up netflix and start playing Breaking Bad"

or best of all...

"Open QuickOffice and then write out a 3 page essay on human evolution for my sociology class" ;)

4. tsunami78 macrumors newbie

I agree, this would take Siri and the iOS interface to an incredible level. If 3rd party developers could voice enable their apps, the possibilities would truly be endless. It could potentially revolutionize the way we interact with technology. Voice control has long been sought after for general computer use, and Siri looks like a big step in that direction. If they could extend it to 3rd parties it's hard to imagine why you would fall back to manual data entry in many cases.

I am sure there are huge technical hurdles to overcome for this, but if the developers worked closely with apple it could be done.

5. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Siri to create a To Do item?

Ok, so, Siri can't interface with ANote.

But, is there ANY Apple solution for a To Do item with Siri, or any kind?

I love to make a scheduled meeting with Siri...gets it right almost every time. But, these are items that show up in my public calendar.

How can I make a todo item, say to change the AC filters when I get home, with Siri?

Thanks!

6. batting1000 macrumors 604

2Do just updated their app to do so.

7. Hamiltonian macrumors member

I've been using Siri to add to my to do lists for about a month. It works great!!n (Syncs with Reminders through Outlook). I've hear other major to do apps have now been updated too.

I also use Siri to add calendar items to Week Cal.

8. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

How??

9. Hamiltonian macrumors member

In the Sync settings in 2do select CalDav (iCloud) then enter your Apple ID.

Set sync to be on launch or whatever schedule you like.

Now to add tasks with Siri say "add clean windows to my home list" for example. When 2do syncs, the item will be there.

When you add new "calendars" in 2do this will sync with Reminders as a new list. So I've added a new "Shopping" calendar in 2do, so when I say to Siri "add eggs to my shopping list" it syncs to that calendar in 2do. So quick!

Edit: sorry my mistake in last post, I meant to write "syncs with reminders through iCloud" not Outlook!

10. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

Now that would be awesome for many people, indeed.

11. PeteLP macrumors 6502

That's one of the things Siri CAN do quite easily:

"Remind me when I get home about changing the AC filters"

OR

"Remind me to change the AC filters tonight at 10pm"

Siri will create the appropriate reminder in the reminder app

Pete

12. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Code says Siri transfer money from my account to this account but keep quite about it.

Once Siri can access apps what's stopping someone using siri to do dangerous things?