Will Snow Leopard still boot on my MBP 8,3 if I install Thunderbolt Update 1.2 from a newer OS X?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Leek, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Leek macrumors newbie

A very technical question. I'm hoping someone with a similar setup and a spare Snow Leopard installation can help answer it. Basically I'm running OS X 10.6.8 on a late 2011 MBP 17", and I am perfectly happy without Thunderbolt Update 1.2 which is only available on Lion and above. But I need to bring the machine in for AppleCare soon, for issues that may result in a new logic board, and I'm concerned the new logic board may already have the Thunderbolt 1.2 firmware.

Please, only answers concerned with my question about keeping Snow Leopard working, not anything about downgrading to a newer OS X.

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

For those of us without a 2011 MBP, it might be helpful to explain why Thunderbolt update 1.2 firmware concerning to you.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Just noting that a late 2011 MBPro did not ship with Snow Leopard, but came originally with Lion.
    SO - you already have to go through some interesting juggling, if you have to "backgrade" to Snow Leopard.
    I might not remember about the Thunderbolt 1.2 and Lion, but the only Thunderbolt 1.2 firmware update that I find now needs Mountain Lion. https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1653?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

But then - I can't answer your question directly.
    However, I don't think it is likely that a firmware update for Thunderbolt, if you have no choice because of a logic board replacement - should keep you from continuing to use your kludge install of Snow Leopard.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't believe that there is any incompatibility there. I don't own a 2011 anymore but I'm pretty sure that I could still boot into 10.6.8 after installing the update.

5. Leek thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, that had been a real 10.6.8 install, not a Snow Leopard Server virtual machine or anything, right?

6. chrfr macrumors 603

This firmware update does not in any way affect which operating systems will work on the computer; it's just that the update can't be installed on 10.6.x.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Correct; a real bootable 10.6.8 install.