Will some of the original iOS apps become unnecessary after iOS 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GeeSixx, Sep 30, 2011.

1. GeeSixx macrumors regular

GeeSixx

Such as the "Notes" app. With the upcoming "Reminders" app I think notes becomes obsolete. Personally, that's the whole reason I use notes...to remind myself, but others may use it differently.

Also, the "Weather" app itself. Shouldn't Apple just link to the weather information through the "Notification Center"?

Just curious. Something I felt was interesting and I'd like to hear some other opinions. Thoughts?

2. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

Not really. I haven't seen anything in iOS 5 itself that would make any other default app obsolete. I use Notes for a lot of other stuff, including writing down Reminders. But I suppose Reminders can now take care of that.

The only "app" that has been obsolete since it was introduced is the Contacts "app." It's so useless and unnecessary given that the Phone app already has your Contacts. I also don't use Game Center, so that's pretty much another useless app icon for me.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Notes is for writing down notes not reminders.

The weather is shown in the notification area as a scrolling mini weather strip but the main weather app is bigger.

4. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I agree that contacts is nearly useless for the iPhone, but for the iPad and iPod Touch that is the only 'phone' application they have.

5. jbredz28 macrumors newbie

I use the contacts app to look up and possibly send contact info to someone I am talking to on the phone since you can't get to the contacts section of the phone app while on a call.

6. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Yes you can. If you notice, in the call screen, you have a button for "Contacts". I agree with everyone else that the contacts app is useless.

7. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

I've noticed on my iPad that spotlight searching a contact automatically launches the FaceTime app, which allows for editing contacts as well.

I've mainly found ios5 will eliminate 3rd party apps for me, namely grocery iq, Celsius (a weather app that used notifications to display the temp on springboard), and what's app.