Will stolen iPhone stay in Lost Mode after new phone is activated?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by goodem, Sep 1, 2013.

1. goodem macrumors newbie

After my iPhone 4S was stolen Friday night, I put it in Lost Mode. It was off at the time, but I got an email this morning confirming that it went into Lost Mode at 8:09am. Since it was clear to me I was never going to see my phone again, I bought and activated a new one.

Will the old one stay in Lost Mode now that I have a new phone? Or does it just stay locked? Or...? What happens to the old phone exactly?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Yes, it will stay in lost mode. If you use the find my iphone app, you'll now have two phones listed. Each device is listed and treated separately.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It can be restored and reused by someone else. Unless it was in Lost Mode and with iPhone OS 7 in it. Then you'll have a checkmate for the finder trying to use it.

4. goodem thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! Thanks! I see that now. If it's in lost mode, will they be able to restore it?

ETA: @jav6454 Bummer. I'm pretty sure it was OS 6 :-/ Thanks for the info!

5. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

Yes they will. Only with iOS 7 there'll be a new feature called activation lock which ties a phone to one specific apple id and to activate the phone after restoring it, you have to enter that apple id and the password. Which makes stolen phones unusable.

Edit: ah well, should have read the other replies first :)

6. goodem thread starter macrumors newbie

No worries! It's all helpful. And I feel less bad knowing 7 isn't out yet. Still burned that they are going to be able to use my phone. Then again, if someone is willing risk their lives by retrieving a phone from the subway tracks, perhaps they needed it more than I did!

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well, worries such as this are going to be long gone when iPhone OS 7 hits. Hopefully.

8. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

Yeah..except for all the users of iPhones prior to the fourth version, and I guess there are still quite a few of those even today.