Will suspending my service affect the buyer of my iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Iron Chef, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Iron Chef macrumors member

I sold my iPhone 3G today for $350 via Craigslist. My iPhone 3GS will be arriving next Friday. I don't have a backup AT&T phone so I wanted to suspend my service for a week.

My question: Will suspending my service (aka reporting it lost/stolen via OLAM) affect the buyer of my iPhone 3G? Will it lock him out? Will it raise any red flags to ATT?

Just want to make sure I don't set a chain reaction of events by doing it.

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

It will likely prevent the phone from being activated again. Thus, stolen. In other words, don't do it.

3. dave006 macrumors 68020

Did you sell the iPhone 3G with the SIM installed? Not a very smart move!!!

If you removed the SIM before selling the phone then you don't need to suspend service but just wait for your new iPhone 3G S to arrive next week, you can even reuse your existing SIM.

No this will not cause the new owner any problem with AT&T since they don't care about the IMEI of the phone but the SIM and only the SIM will be blocked for accessing the AT&T network.

Dave

4. foranor macrumors regular

In germany, if you sell your mobile WITH sim, you (and the buyer) should visit a store of your provider and have the account details corrected.
    It's not usually any problem (afaik), but saves you a lot of trouble with billing etc..

5. Iron Chef thread starter macrumors member

Oh no no, didn't sell my iPhone 3G with my SIM as I need it for my iPhone 3GS.

I just was concerned about the IMEI being impacted.