Will T-Mobile LTE work with Verizon 5s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amdhunter, Sep 28, 2013.

1. amdhunter, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013

amdhunter macrumors member

Friend of mine has a Verizon 5s and doesn't want it, selling it to me for straight price. Before I buy it, I'd have to get a nano-sim from T-Mobile.

Will I get LTE on T-Mobile with his 5s? After searching and reading every thread on this forum, I still don't see a simple yes or no.

EDIT: he sold it last night for $150 profit
    I was just gonna do it and post an update, but can't now.

Anyway, if anyone knows, post away...lol

Thanks

2. mo0620 macrumors regular

Yes it will. The verizon 5s has the LTE band that tmobile uses.

3. nirvanauscn macrumors newbie

Yes. I had an unlocked Verizon 5c (all Verizon 5s/c are unlocked, CDMA/GSM), and I'm using it in T-Mobile network with GSM/LTE.

4. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

a] all verizon iphones are SIM unlocked. u prolly already knew that.

b]

[​IMG]

honestly this screencap should be a sticky. as you can see, the phones are identical except for loser sprint.

5. mac.cali macrumors 65816

I put my T-mobile sim into my iPhone 5s and I only see 4G coverage. No LTE at all. The coverage maps say I'm in excellant LTE coverage, but no LTE. Is it because I'm on the $3 per day plan? Any idea on how to get the LTE turned on?

6. amdhunter thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I'm going to just waste my money on the Nexus 5 instead. I got turned off by not receiving any shipping update from Apple, and losing out on my friends iPhone. Just cancelled my order.

I've owned every Nexus device so far, and I'll just continue to live with my iPhone 4 for work.

I can't believe I am going to skip yet another generation of iPhone. I'm one of those people that, if I am not one of the first, I don't want it. Yes, people like me do exist. :)

It's why I still own a plain old 4. :( lol
    I'm spoiled since my job buys me everything for free.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

Have you tried a NJ store? NYC stores tend to sell out quickly. In Chicago, the Michigan Avenue store had some phones last night (I went there to get a leather case and saw some sales). Nonetheless, even in NYC the stores might have some configurations. 64GB models tend to be more available since they cost so much.

Anyway, the online reservation system will be back up on Monday. While you can't reserve a device-only purchase, you can check to see what stores list available phones. If a store has both Verizon and AT&T models for in-store pickup, chances are pretty good they'll have some stock if you walk in.

8. amdhunter thread starter macrumors member

I've been able to find stock in stores in NY, but it's NEVER the T-Mobile version, and always a 64GB carrier model. I am actually a T-Mobile user.

I seriously just got turned off.
    By the time you can just walk in and get a phone, it's going to be played out.

9. KPOM macrumors G5

It doesn't need to be a T-Mobile model to work on T-Mobile. You pay full price for the T-Mobile version, anyway, so why not just get a device-only Verizon or AT&T model? They are exactly the same. All will work with T-Mobile or AT&T.

10. Samanosuke macrumors 6502

My iphone 5s is from Verizon and gets tmobile lte.

11. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

You do realize a full price AT&T or Verizon phone will work for Tmobile right? lol i thought i made that extremely clear with that screencap. Just walk into the store and buy it DEVICE ONLY.

Various bestbuys have it too, and you might get lucky at walmart or target. But apple stores get new stock every day.

12. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

I have a question. If you buy the unlocked / off-contract "Verizon 5s" model, and use it on T-Mobile, will HD Voice work?

I assume it would, since the Verizon model has both the GSM and CDMA radios.

Also, for anyone who cares, we just bought yet another 5s today, a "Verizon 5s" off-contract, worked perfect with T-Mobile SIM. Just do a full restore via iTunes (so you get the 7.0.2 update clean and fresh), click yes when it asks to update carrier settings, and you are good to go.

So my only question is, HD Voice is going to work, correct?

13. KPOM macrumors G5

It should. The hardware is there in all phones. It's just a matter of whether the carrier supports it. Right now, only T-Mobile does. AT&T will add it later this year or next year. Verizon won't, obviously, since they will use CDMA until their network and phones support VoLTE, but the GSM hardware is identical to the other models.

14. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

HD voice is disabled for the iPhone 5s on T-Mobile. The latest carrier update disables the feature. If you don't apply the update I'm unsure if it will be enabled or not.

15. Samanosuke macrumors 6502

Yes it will but the other phone has to be HD Voice equipped too.

16. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

17. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

18. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Sorry for the stupid question here but I just want clarification. Today when I walked out of line at Apple because they said they were out of ATT 16GB black iPhone 5S's I could have bought a Verizon or TMobile and I would have never noticed a difference?

19. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

If you bought it full price device only it will be unlocked and you can use it on any GSM carrier.