Will TEA Party become an independant party?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Aug 6, 2012.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

It seems to me the TEA Party is more a reaction to Republican abuses and hypocrisy then a counter to the Democratic / liberal parties.

Considering the number of “old boy”/ “old school” Republicans that have been deposed by fledgling TEA Party members, and the Eric Canto and Representative Michele Bachmann making noises outside of typical Republican statements, it does seem more than a simple fracture.

I for one do hope we get more political parties, have more choices then black and white.
    ...and I don't mean sub groups in the main party, but fully independent.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I am of two minds of this.

One side of me is to say yes, because that means that those parties on the other side of the aisle would know who they can work with to get work done for their constituents; something that really hasn't been done since the early - mid 90s, if not earlier.

The other side of me says 'hell no!' and wants to grab some popcorn and watch them implode. Good case in point: Kansas.

http://www.npr.org/2012/08/05/158156523/kansas-republicans-at-war-with-each-other

While I would say that I haven't seen a better match for this since the Match Game or Password Plus, but I almost pity the moderate Reds..

Besides, it isn't as if the "Tea Party" doesn't have their own amount of funding.

BL.

3. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    It can happen, we have loony parties in the UK too. They can occasionally score a small victory here and there, but it's impossible for them to actually make any influence (as they can't get enough seats) and are therefore harmless.

Good for a mock though. Independent Tea Pee would be like our BNP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bunch of peeps runnin around venting about race under the guise of 'politics'.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

And Kansas is a prim example of why we need massive change in how we elect represitives and we need competitive districts. Your vote do not matter there. The far right controls it and there is zero threat from the dems. This means any one more moderate does not have a voice at all. I fully support what CA has done to help kill off the nut cases and force everyone back to the center. Open primary top 2 go to general does not matter which party. That would kill off the Tea party. Moderate GOP would rather have Tea party nut case than god forbid a dem who is much closer to their line of thinking than the tea party.

Hell the tea party is so bad that in my district the Democrat running has gotten endorsements from some GOP people.

The GOP screwed up and they should of kick the tea party out while they had the chance.

5. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

Minor parties can never really score in the US, our system heavily tends to two parties split everything. If the R's split, both sides are equally screwed until one side prevails and brings them back together.

6. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

If anything the moderate republicans will go off and make their own party. After the tea party completely takes over theirs. Maybe they'll call it the "Lincoln Party".

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't think it's likely, the Tea party pretty much has taken control of the republican party and I think they are pretty happy with that. I think it's more likely that the moderate republicans will end up defecting to the democrats and continuing the democratic party's move to the right. Probably if anyone breaks off to form their own party it would be liberals who want an actually liberal party again. Right now we just have the republicans who are far right and the democrats who are basically the same as the republicans from 20-30 years ago, and no real liberal party.

8. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

"Oh the Tea Party is so hateful, we moderate Reps are getting sidelined, waaaaagh". Ah, shut your cake-hole. Thirty years ago you started off with the "liberal Dems are godless, unpatriotic, unAmerican, welfare queens, yada yada, etc." and now you're getting it from your side of the aisle. Want sympathy? You can find it in the dictionary between syphilis and that other thing.

9. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Zebra?
    Zimbabwe?

10. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

I think the Tea Party has peaked. They "might", and I stress might, be able to get close back to where they got before but that's about it.

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, the tea party already has all but taken over the Republican party. As for the rest, I dunno. A part of me thinks that moderate Democrats will keep moving center-right and become the new Republicans, and a new (true) left will emerge.

But another part of me wants the t.p. to go completely away. Right now I think if someone offered to replace the tea partiers in Congress with the Kardashians, Kendra, Paris Hilton and the casts of Real Housewives and Jersey Shore, most Americans would take that deal in a heartbeat.

It'd sure up the maturity level. Probably the morals too.

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

too late......there aren't any "moderate" republicans any more.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Nope- the last few should be gone this next election.

14. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

The Tea Party becoming their own party would be the best thing that could happen for Democrats, but it will never happen. A third party can never win in the US. Votes for a Tea Party candidate would simply take away votes from a similarly conservative Republican.

So if a General Election ended up looking like this -

25% Tea Party
    35% Republican
    40% Democrat

The Democrat would still win, even though 60% of the population voted for a conservative candidate. This is why we'll never have more than two parties unless we have some major changes.

15. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

The tea party disgusts me. They need to find a new name, something like "******* crazy religious nutbags party". Their positions represent the exact opposite of the early colonists and people who were involved in the Boston Tea Party. These people should be ashamed of themselves.

16. Carl Sagan macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

If it stops taking money from the Koch brothers then perhaps...

17. 63dot, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

They have come to stand for everything but the US Constitution. Any early non-biased members like my friend who started the local Tea Party have been ousted by republicans. The Tea Party wants to hide behind the Constitution they claim to uphold, patriotism, and even the GOP but they have tried to become the fringe or alternate party, really or maybe (these days) just an unruly arm of the GOP.

I think with recent GOP advances within the Tea Party, any move to a totally independent status (such as the American Independent Party) will be squashed by the republicans in the movement. Even with all the GOP and Tea Party combined, they would only constitute half of the voters on a good day.

The early Tea Party stood on two traditionally GOP concepts and two traditionally Democratic Party concepts (small government, government out of business, US out of nation building, legalize drugs) and it had a libertarian flair to it. The GOP have successfully made sure the current Tea Part holds to the first two (small government and pro-business ala Romney's platform) and dropped the liberal issues on being a dove or allowing for things like marijuana. The popular perception of the Tea Party is now of that being as controlled by the republicans.

The Occupy Movement seems to be on its face an outsiders movement but may be the democrat's answer to the Tea Party by attacking that pillar of the GOP, which is big business. Had Romney just been a moderate former Massachusetts governor and not a hotshot MBA CEO of Bain, he would be considerably ahead in the polls. The last president we had was an MBA and I don't think we need another bottom line, trickle down theory disciple. As time moves forward, unless he can beat this tax rap, he's going to probably lose in November.

18. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

The TEA Party has carried more than just financial ideologies with it. I could see another single-interest party arise, or possibly even a split-party, given how bad the national debt is. If the original goal was fiscal responsibility, then they failed to follow through in even their own ideals.

19. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

"Syphilis" follows it in the dictionary, so that other thing must be the other way – Somalia, perhaps.

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Case in point:

Burn the heretic! ;)

And this is just addressing yet another Republican who is giving up in frustration. It doesn't even begin to address all those primaries where traditional Republicans actually find themselves being challenged by their own party -- i.e., the GOP running tea party candidates because the incumbent Republican is not ideologically "pure enough" for them.