Will The 10W iPad Adapter Charge Hi-Speed With Lightning Cable?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boltjames, Sep 21, 2012.

1. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

[​IMG]

I've gotten used to the rapid charge on my iPhone 4 from the The New iPad charger.

Anyone confirm that we can still use the 10W iPad power supply with the new Lightning cable?

BJ

2. satchow macrumors 6502

I'm sure you'll be able to. In fact I've seen some unboxings and some regions actually come with the the 10W charger.

3. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

A power source is a power dude. As long as the connectors are right and it is charging at the right voltage, the iPhone will draw what it needs.

4. BlueKhufu macrumors regular

Sorry, but the iPhone 4 and 4s draw 5w (1amp at 5v) max. The iPad charger does NOT charge your phone any faster.. I know, you think it does, but I promise it does not. This isn't speculation or a hunch or me just going off some tech site (although several will confirm this). I made a little setup where I could test different cables (mainly the cheap ten footers from china) and chargers to see the draw, and no iPhone 4 or 4s drew more than one amp. Ever. It is limited in the phone. I will test the 5 and see if it is the case for that as well.

It will draw what its can if there is no limiting circuitry, which there is (clearly no one would expect it to draw 5kw @ 5v)

5. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Sorry but my iPhone has always charged faster on the iPad charger and that is FACT!:cool:

6. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

That's a given dude. It'd pop, rip a breaker, smoke, potentially start a fire if there were no current limiting circuitry...I'm speaking in general terms, not from electrical engineers standpoint. ;)

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

OP never stated what was the basis for comparison. If the OP was using a 500mA charger or a 500mA USB port then it would be faster.

8. BlueKhufu macrumors regular

I know, I was just giving an extreme example and apologize if it came off as snarky. :)

9. Mutherluver macrumors member

its in your head man, iphone draws maximum 1amp to avoid heat issues and battery damage. sorry to burst your bubble.

10. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

Gotcha, hahaha :D I thought you were. My apologies

11. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

I agree that there is limiting circuitry, but the small included cube charger does not aproach the limit where the larger charger does!:cool:

12. iregret macrumors 6502

Nope. /end thread

13. BlueKhufu macrumors regular

Based on the hi-speed in the topic and his asking if we can "still use" the 10w I think it's safe to assume he believed the iPad charger was charging hi-speed at 10w. If I'm wrong, life will go on. Either way, it can (on the 4 and 4s) only draw 5w. I'll let you know about the 5 later unless someone tests it later.

----------

I would have swore it charged faster too, and I probably would have bet and lost money on it as we'll, but sadly the math cannot lie.

14. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68030

boltjames

The iPad charger always charges my iPhone 4 faster than the little charger packed-in with the iPhone 4.

BJ

15. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

This is absolutely false. There are a number of chargers, not just the iPad charger that will charge the iPhone more rapidly than the included charger. In addition, there are some fairly poor adapters that will charge the iPhone more slowly (just as the iPhone charger will charge an iPad but very, very slowly). Not sure where you got your info, but it's false.

16. BlueKhufu macrumors regular

Of course some will charge slower. Any charger (including spec USB @2.5w) will charge slower than the included 5w charger if it doesn't supply 5w. But the phone has circuitry that limits current to 1amp. Period. I got my info from testing it myself. Get a multimeter and sacrifice a cable and test it yourself.

17. jfulcher macrumors regular

The little cube charger with the 4/4S charged at 5W (1A) - period - that's been verified. Which is the max. The 10W (2A) iPad charger charges the 4/4S at the same exact rate as the cube.

18. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

I reserve the right to disagree.:mad:

19. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

Now, I could be wrong because I live in one of those countries where the release is the 28th, but going by earlier iPhones this is untrue.

They come with a 5W adapter that looks exactly like the 10W adapter. You can only tell the difference by actually reading what's on the side.

In many countries the 5W adapter like this has been replaced with a country-specific model (unlike this one which is generic with a replaceable duckhed). But they don't have those for every country it appears.