Will the 13" MacBook Pro be updated soon with an I series chip?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Keva161, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Keva161 macrumors member

Hey,

I'm kinda in my market for a new laptop (my current Toshiba laptop is on it's last legs) and I was always going to purchase a MacBook for my next laptop but im just wondering, is now the time? Or will they updated soon with the newer i series chips?

It's not really an urgent buy but after playing with one at my local Apple store, I do want! :eek:

I can wait if needed though so what would you're opinions be?

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

They were just updated in April, so now is the time. There isn't really a difference between an i3 and core2duo anyway.

3. MacVibe macrumors regular

Like OJ Simson and the glove, Ars Technica declared "it won't fit". Meaning, Apple didn't want to do the redesign of the motherboard necessary to allow the i-series and discrete graphics (or non-Intel integrated graphics because Apple wasn't happy with the performance).

It will probably be next spring before Apple updates the 13in from a core 2 to a newer i-series which will be the Sandy Bridge one.

4. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

It fits fine, and it's no big deal either - but Intel declared, that their I-Series-CPUs are not covered by the license they sold nVidia for chipsets.
    Discrete graphics are not covered by those licenses, but these indeed don't fit.

5. KirkL macrumors 6502

No. The speed increase with the mobile i3 isn't really considerable. You'll definitely be taking a hit with the graphics however.

The battery is already wonderful (i Series chips claim to increase battery efficiency).

The i Series would only benefit you if you're doing heavy stuff like Film Editing (in which case you'd probably be better served with a 15'' anyway).