Will the $1K+ iPhone 6/Pro 5.5" 128GB come across as affluently snobbish?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ET iPhone Home, Sep 7, 2014.

1. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

$1K+ for an iPhone will certainly be unattainable for many. I also realize that many may prefer the 4.7" over the 5.5". But, I'm curious if those that can afford the top of the line iPhone 6 will come across affluently snobbish when they're seen with the most expensive iPhone ever.

There was a time when I remember that having an iPhone was meant for an exclusive group. Well, that time has come once again.

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

first, you can't tell a phone's capacity just by looking. second, nobody will ever know you paid $1k for a phone unless you tell them; they'll just think you paid $199 on contract like everyone else.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Considering the 64GB iPhone 5S is over A$1K I would imagine the larger, more expensive one is going to be seen as particularly bourgeois.

Anybody using it would be rightly judged by the lower classes. Until of course the revolution comes and we're all wearing overalls and breaking wind in the palaces of the mighty.

Baaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!!

4. cube macrumors G5

No, they will assume you're bad at math and that you paid OVER 1k thinking it was 199.

5. saintforlife, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014

saintforlife macrumors 6502a

How in the world would anyone know what the capacity of your phone is unless you tell them? When people put $10 plastic cases on their iPhones, they all tend look alike. It is only snobbish if you go around telling people that you have a $1000 phone underneath the case or in the pocket of your skinny jeans or whatever.

6. bobright macrumors 601

I hope so it'll boost my self confidence and put me with the "in" crowd.

7. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

It would be awesome if Apple came out with an exclusive color strictly for the top tier iPhone 6, then you know you'd be in the 'IN" crowd.

8. b3av3r macrumors regular

b3av3r

Considering most people get their phones through a subsidized upgrade option, I doubt many people even know the actual retail cost of their phone. Something tells me if everyone knew their $199 phones actually retailed for $700 or so they would take a little better care of them.

9. skyhawkmatthew macrumors member

skyhawkmatthew

The 32GB iPhone 3GS was over $1000 in Australia at launch. I really don't understand why there's suddenly so much press (here in Australia too) about the "$1000 iPhone" when it's always been that expensive.

10. Shuri macrumors 6502

Well that is indeed snobbish :p

I don't know, it wouldn't come to my mind to pay an additional 200€ (in my case) for a bigger storage, just so some Apple stock holders can high five themselves..

Maybe that's one for you? :) iPhone-5s-pure-gold

11. Izauze macrumors 6502

Eww. That line made me want to take a shower.

12. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

Wow, just wow. If you need a phone to show that you are part of some "IN" or "IT" crowd you probably don't belong in the group anyway. If you want to be a snob, which it seems like you do, your options are either the BlackBerry Porsche phone or the Vertu line of luxury phones. The iPhone is for the masses. There is no exclusivity with using the iPhone, at least not in the US.

13. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

No, but if you go around and tell them, people might think you're snobbish. Best thing to do is buy it and keep it to yourself.

The world doesn't have to know.

14. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

If it does, then people have bigger issues that they need to address that has nothing to do with us.

15. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Most definitely. Like a deep navy blue or something. Something that says "my phone is the same colour as my blood you new-money pleb now get away from me."

16. Arran, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014

Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

It's what you do with your phone that marks you out as affluently snobbish.

Loudly calling your stockbroker from the train to say you won't be able to make his daughter's gymkhana because you'd forgotten about your sons' polo match that day. That would do it.

Of course, everyone might wonder why you ride the train: Tell them your helicopter's in for an upgrade so it can land safely on your yacht. The one in Antibes, not the Bermuda one. :)

17. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I was never implying I needed validation to be part of any 'IN" club or crowd all due to a 1K iPhone. I was just wondering if others who out there couldn't afford a 1K iPhone, what their impressions would be of those that could?

18. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I would not be surprised if the 5.5" ends up being the more popular phone... so no.

19. akhilleus macrumors member

If you're worried that people will judge your character based on your phone, you've bought into the garbage advertising that they want you to buy. It's an effing phone, not an extension of who you are. And if someone does judge you based on it, hopefully you'll be able to brush it off.

20. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

At my university, Samsung Galaxy Notes are the "in" thing now. People tell me they get Samsung just to look different and because everyone has an iPhone. No doubt there will be allot of Galaxy Note 4s this Fall quarter. None of this crap should matter. I'm getting a 5.5" iPhone 6 and I really don't care. I like iPhone.

21. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Heheh. I've always loved that logic - "But I want to be different - like all my friends." :D