Will the 2.53Ghz 9400m 7200rpm mbp run final cut pro well or not??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sensithreads, Feb 17, 2010.

1. sensithreads macrumors newbie

sensithreads

Hi Guys

I'd really appreciate a bit of advice please. Long story short my Uni is buying me a mac. I've got to order it asap so can't wait any more for an update. They are putting £1150 towards it. I intend to use it for various things including running final cut pro.

What I want to know is will the 2.5Ghz model with only the 9400m graphics card and a 7200rpm hard drive run final cut pro well, or will I notice a hell of a lot of difference from the higher spec machines with the 9600m card and bigger processors?

I worked out that I would have to put in an extra £241 for the 2.8 or £136 for the 2.66, so it's not a great deal of difference, but I am not rich and I don't want to waste my money.

:confused:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It'll run fine. Faster is always better though; really depends on how valuable your time is and how much you'll be using it.

3. sensithreads thread starter macrumors newbie

sensithreads

Thanks. What I don't understand is it says NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics for the 2.53Ghz machine, then NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB, for the 2.66Ghz one and GT with 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB for the 2.8Ghz...

What is all this GT business and is it something I should be worrying about?

I don't have a lot of cash spare, but I'm wondering if the 9600 is gonna give me a lot better performance..

4. FnuGk macrumors regular

well your computer wont be using your graphics card for doing any video editing so getting a faster graphics card wont do any difference at all.

5. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

So what is the Graphics Card good for? Effects and Rendering? :confused:

6. kavon90 macrumors newbie

Absolutely false. (well, I guess it depends on what your definition of "video editing" is)

A 2.5Ghz processor with an Nvidia 9400M should be fine. Make sure you have plenty of RAM (and hard drive capacity), especially if you'll be working with HD video.

7. sensithreads thread starter macrumors newbie

sensithreads

Well I really just don't know what to do. It will cost me an extra £245 getting the 2.8Ghz machine over the 2.53Ghz. For that extra money I get a seperate graphics card with 512 vram, twice as much cache and a marginally faster processor. I have also read that this machine will work better on a big display...

To me it seems like a fair expense, but I would obviously rather save the money...

I will be getting a 7200 rpm hd and antiglare watever.

Am I being foolish getting the 2.8Ghz?

8. Puqq macrumors regular

What about the full story? Why is your uni getting you a MBP? Are a PhD/PostDoc?

9. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

You get a free mac at my uni if you have dyslexia for some unknown reason. Maybe it's that.

10. mattydee87 macrumors regular

Yeah, same at mine. A guy on my course got a free iMac with all the trimmings and then decided to quit after the first year but still gets to keep his iMac! Charming that is!

11. sensithreads thread starter macrumors newbie

sensithreads

I've got a bad back :'-( and I'm studying to become a creative media teacher

so come on help me out, what should I get? 2.53Ghz/2.66Ghz/2.8Ghz?? :confused::confused::confused:

12. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

Really, just get the fastest you can afford. If 2.8Ghz means eating Ramen for a month, then get the 2.53. :)

13. sensithreads thread starter macrumors newbie

sensithreads

yes i hear ya. i have the funds, so i guess that is that then...

14. FnuGk macrumors regular

and how is that false? where is the video card in use?

15. Tharian macrumors regular

Motion for starters.

-d

16. sensithreads thread starter macrumors newbie

sensithreads

So what your saying is a dedicated graphics card is actually quite useful when using fcp.. Also I guess it might be nice to have the option to play games if i want so i suppose I do need the 2.66 or the 2.8... I still don't fully understand the cache and vram issues, but I think adding it all up I should just get the 2.8Ghz to be safe.

Thanks for your comments and advice.

:cool:

17. adam75south macrumors newbie

i'm half way through my Ramen month after getting the 17", it's totally worth it. best part is, i have yet to turn on the better graphics card!!! but i have it!