Will the 5C still be around?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lusticke, Aug 15, 2014.

1. lusticke macrumors member

Do you think they'll keep the 5C around for a while? My guess is they will introduce the 4.7 in September and keep the 5S and 5C as lower end models. But if they do introduce a 5.5, do you think they'll keep manufacturing 4 different phones? Any guesses?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the 5C will be around until the 6s is released next year and then at that point we may see a 6c

3. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I think you'll see the 5C take off as it becomes the $0/$449 device in Apple's lineup.

The 4S still sells well in developing countries - the 5C will do far better. I already see a ton of them in the wild. It also makes sense for enterprise as well - company can buy a bunch of the white/black ones relatively cheaply.

Plus the margins on it are too good for Apple not to continue to offer.

4. ourmountain macrumors regular

This.

We're seeing Apple stretch support for older hardware in iOS devices. Look at the iPad 2/Original Mini/Touch. They're still around and kicking with A5s.

The A6 in the 5C will see support even longer, and I really believe it'll be the new "free" device with a contract. It's a smart move in a lot of ways for Apple - phasing out the 3.5" screen, high margins, a "budget" offering, and using up hardware stock. There's no reason for them to phase it out until they can offer a cheaper version of the 6.

5. Norcal. macrumors regular

I wish they'd ditch the plastic and maybe make it a colored metal like the iPod touch.

6. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

To each their own, but I love the feel of the 5c. Probably the best feeling iPhone.

7. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

The 5C is very popular in the UK - I see them all over the place. Lots of my friends have them.

The 4S will be dropped and the 5C will become the cheap(er) model.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm happy with the plastic, its a great phone. If I was going to gripe about something it would be I'd like to see more color selections :)

9. 0000111 macrumors member

Or the goddamn crocs as cases. I really hope those don't stick around.