Will the 64 gig 4G model be the easiest model to get on launch day?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Azzin, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Azzin macrumors 68040

Azzin

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Solely down to the fact that it's the most expensive?

I'm over in New York from the UK and it would be make sense to pick up a 64 gig 4G model while I'm here, as it's pretty much what I would pay for a 32 gig wifi at home in the UK, paying in £s!

I got my iPad 1 64 gig 3G on launch day in the UK.

I didn't pre order it, I just wandered in to my local Apple store and picked one up.

2. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

Doubt it, it was the first model to go into back order.

3. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

yes you're prob right. I think a lot of previous 32G owners are upgrading to 64G but not all will get the 4G. I think they'll make more 64G this year.

I think the 32G's are going to be the hardest to get on launch day. I'm crossing my fingers.

4. maclook macrumors 65816

Last year, the 64gb AT&T was one of the first to sell out at my store. An employee would walk down the line and I would get nervous that they were going to announce the model that I wanted. I'm surprised how many people get the 3G model and how many people get the 64gb. Lots of people opt for the top of line iPad.

Surprisingly, my 32gb wifi was probably one of the easiest to get.

5. M87 macrumors 65816

Probably not. It seems a lot of people go to one extreme or the other, the cheapest or most expensive. I also imagine they don't produce quite as many of the 64GB LTE as they do the other models.

6. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

good, thats the one I want!! :D Hopefully I'm wrong and 32G will be available.

7. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

spooky2k

64GB is least popular model so you'll find stores have the least amount of them out of all the models, so nope. it'll probably be the first to sell out again.

8. tednol macrumors member

Doesn't this assume that Apple have made equal numbers of each versions? That doesn't seem very realistic or sophisticated for an organisation the size and scale of Apple. Surely they have manufactured based on expected demand?

9. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Thats what I thought, apple's smallest QTY was 64G b/c it was more expensive.

10. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

I'd go with what the others have said and suspect that it will be the model they stock fewest of, due to it being the highest priced model.

11. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

and if the 64GB model is the best seller?

I think Apple knows better than us.

12. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

I'm sure they do.

13. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I would think the 64GB 4G will be one of the most popular models this time. I've had 32s previously, but am upgrading this time b/c of the HD video cam and Retina screen. I'm probably not alone.

But what we don't know is the allocation of each model Apple will send each store. It's unlikely to send equal numbers of every model. It could very well anticipate this and send stores more 64s 4Gs and fewer of some other model.

14. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Seeing the shipping time on Internet orders placed today, I do not think that the stores will have many more coming after htey sell what they got now.:rolleyes:

Glad I ordered mine and it (64GB AT&T LTE) will be here on Friday!:p

15. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

On Friday, I expect for it to be hard to find. Mainly because of the reasons listed above (most expensive, least quantity of all models shipped to store).

One thing I do bet on is that Apple used the preorder week to gauge reaction to the models and will ship proportionate amounts to the store based on the results of the preorders in future shipments.

16. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I think getting ANY model on launch day will prove difficult. With the new screen and HD playback/recording capability, the 64's will probably be more in demand this year as will the 16's since they're the cheapest. Then again, we won't know till Apple tells us so. I'm gonna guess the 32's will be the easiest to get. When I tried getting the iPad 2 last year, wanted a 64gb but all everyone ever had was the 32gb.

17. ZipZap macrumors 603

18. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

I don't think so, actually.

They probably have less inventory in store for that model than for the more popular (affordable) ones (16/32 White or Black, with the 4G variant).

So whoever wants those, the stock will get gobbled up fairly quick, I'd say. Doesn't make sense for Apple to carry a ton of those and have them sitting around when they won't sell as many as the ones with higher demand.

19. geko29 macrumors 6502

According to some reports the 64GB 3G was the most popular version last time around (16GB Wifi second). The white 16 and 64GB AT&T were the first to sell out this time (happened at about the same time, so I'm not sure which was actually first), and the third was the Black 64 GB AT&T.

This seems to imply that at least initially, the 64GB 4G will be the hardest to come by.

20. liquidlink, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

liquidlink macrumors member

64GB 3G sold out first most likely becuase that was the one most people would resell on eBay to the overseas market and made a lot of money on them.