Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
I'd like to upgrade my 5s but the 6 just isn't turning me on. At all. It's terribly disappointing really I was so ready to buy one, now I have no interest. I'm planning on picking up a Z3c when it's available so I can have a compact phone with up to date hardware but I suspect I'll still yearn for iOS on modern piece of kit- which in my opinion the current 6 hardware is not.

Is there any technical software reason the 6s can't have a display with a modern DPI closer to 500? I think the current 6 display looks terrible compared what else is out there, including the 6+.

Has anyone heard any credible rumors about the 6s display? Any leaks?

Naturally I'm assuming the 6s will have at least 2 gigs of RAM and a much better camera or there's not even a point in looking at it.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I'd like to upgrade my 5s but the 6 just isn't turning me on. At all. It's terribly disappointing really I was so ready to buy one, now I have no interest. I'm planning on picking up a Z3c when it's available so I can have a compact phone with up to date hardware but I suspect I'll still yearn for iOS on modern piece of kit- which in my opinion the current 6 hardware is not.

Is there any technical software reason the 6s can't have a display with a modern DPI closer to 500? I think the current 6 display looks terrible compared what else is out there, including the 6+.

Naturally I'm assuming the 6s will have at least 2 gigs of RAM and a much better camera or there's not even a point in looking at it.

So your going to pick up a Z3 compact, which has a lower resolution screen and worse display quality then the iPhone 6?

And you think the 6 Plus display sucks??? Lol, you have to get your eyes checked, it does not get much better at all then the 6 Plus display on mobile at this current time

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
So your going to pick up a Z3 compact, which has a lower resolution screen and worse display quality then the iPhone 6?

And you think the 6 Plus display sucks??? Lol, you have to get your eyes checked, it does not get much better at all then the 6 Plus display on mobile at this current time

Whoa really? I thought the Z3c screen is nearly 500 DPI? AND I didn't say the 6+ display sucks, it is amazing. I want that display on a normal size phone.

Oh God you're right it's 319 DPI. I give up. I guess I just hang on to my 5s for another year. Sigh.

jetlitheone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Whoa really? I thought the Z3c screen is nearly 500 DPI? AND I didn't say the 6+ display sucks, it is amazing. I want that display on a normal size phone.

Oh God you're right it's 319 DPI. I give up. I guess I just hang on to my 5s for another year. Sigh.

Dpi ?

You mean ppi. Lol not the same

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
It is possible they'll switch to a "3x" resolution with the 6s, but I don't think it's a particularly urgent issue. And I think it's more likely to happen with the 7. 326 ppi seems good enough for the majority of situations

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010

326 PPI is quite good, and only presents quality issues if you are trying to look at rescaled images or putting your face to the screen instead of viewing at a natural distance.

The technical reason to not do a higher PPI is that higher PPI's hurt battery life. And that will always be an issue. I would argue that increasing battery life is always going to be more important than improving PPI past the point of diminishing returns.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
326 PPI is quite good, and only presents quality issues if you are trying to look at rescaled images or putting your face to the screen instead of viewing at a natural distance.

The technical reason to not do a higher PPI is that higher PPI's hurt battery life. And that will always be an issue. I would argue that increasing battery life is always going to be more important than improving PPI past the point of diminishing returns.

Ever since I saw the 6+ screen I'm ruined. I want that DPI ahem... PPI. I just don't want to try to shoehorn a tablet in my pocket every day.

Coupz

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
I don't understand it. Why on earth would you need a 500 ppi display when your eyes can't see individual pixels when a display is over 300 ppi if I'm not wrong? I just want to understand why people want things and wouldn't in reality see any differences.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
It is possible they'll switch to a "3x" resolution with the 6s, but I don't think it's a particularly urgent issue. And I think it's more likely to happen with the 7. 326 ppi seems good enough for the majority of situations

The 6 Plus already uses @3x assets and scales then down to 1080p.

The 6 and 6 Plus are basically the best screens ever seen on a phone. I'm young with very good vision, and I have a very hard time discerning which screen would have the higher PPI. The only way I can tell is 3" away from my face, comparing both side by side.

I always thought that 400-500 PPI would be much better, but I can't tell the difference. If you're waiting for a higher resolution screen on the 6S, I wouldn't hold your breath.

At this stage, higher PPI just increases the work of the GPU, increases work for developers and reduces battery life. I'd rather see a brighter screen, better contrast ratio etc, even though the 6/6+ are pretty amazing anyway.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
For whatever reason I can easily see the individual pixels at 326. The 6+ is the first display I've ever seen where finally I can't see the individual pixels, and, for the first time in my life, text is perfectly sharp.

jpeg42

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Orygun
I don't understand it. Why on earth would you need a 500 ppi display when your eyes can't see individual pixels when a display is over 300 ppi if I'm not wrong? I just want to understand why people want things and wouldn't in reality see any differences.

http://www.cultofmac.com/173702/why-retina-isnt-enough-feature/

This "why would you need more" logic of course has its limits, but were are not there yet. And trust me, when the 6s or 7 comes out with a 500 ppi display, all of MR will declare it an amazing achievement.

I remember my first 486 machine with 256MB RAM.... I thought, this is it, why would anyone ever need more RAM??

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
http://www.cultofmac.com/173702/why-retina-isnt-enough-feature/

This "why would you need more" logic of course has its limits, but were are not there yet. And trust me, when the 6s or 7 comes out with a 500 ppi display, all of MR will declare it an amazing achievement.

I remember my first 486 machine with 256MB RAM.... I thought, this is it, why would anyone ever need more RAM??

The technology might have room for improvement, but human eyes have their limits. If I try I can make out individual pixels on the 326ppi displays, but most of the time it's a nonissue. My eyes are better than most people's too

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
The technology might have room for improvement, but human eyes have their limits. If I try I can make out individual pixels on the 326ppi displays, but most of the time it's a nonissue. My eyes are better than most people's too

Seeing individual pixels is different from seeing better overall picture quality.

It's the reason 4k looks so much better when you are already sitting at a viewing distance you can't see the individual pixels of 1080p.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Seeing individual pixels is different from seeing better overall picture quality.

It's the reason 4k looks so much better when you are already sitting at a viewing distance you can't see the individual pixels of 1080p.

They can improve contrast ratios, viewing angles, and color reproduction without increasing pixel density. In fact, they have done so with every generation of iPhone since the 4.

The reason 4k displays look so much better is because 4k feeds tend to be much higher quality. It's theoretically possible to capture the same colors and such on a 1080p feed, but the industry never really went there. Currently 4k TVs are also built to a higher standard; the market has pretty much eliminated all truly high quality 1080p TVs a little while ago.

Rockies

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2011
The display on the 6 is really embarrassing for Apple. I came from the Galaxy S5 and noticed the difference immediately. The fonts are significantly more fuzzy and out of focus compared to my I-Pad Air. Thank goodness I have the JUMP program at T-Mobile, there is no way I would pay full retail for this phone. I hope they step up the DPI on the 6S.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
Lol no you can't.

Tons of people can. Different people see, feel, smell, hear differently. Some people see colors better, some people have better visual acuity. Some people have great hearing.

My hearing SUCKS. I accept that. My visual acuity however is apparently better than yours, as it is with many people. Tons of people can see the individual pixels at <350ppi, you just happen to not be one of them.

I've been waiting for rMBA since the day I bought my MBA in Oct 2011.

The pixels on MBA are HUGE (with my vision) and ANNOY ME ALL THE TIME.

Lots of people think the regular MBA display was the best ever... until rMBP came out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.