will the addition of icloud lead more people to buying a smaller gb iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by himynameiscody, Oct 9, 2011.

1. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

2. Pooshka macrumors 65816

No.

Not everyone wants to go through their 2GB of data in a day.

Or is it just me?

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It hasn't made me want a smaller iPhone.

^^ haha the post above me made me laugh. Basically sums it up pretty well

4. acepaul macrumors newbie

Just ordered my 64 GB phone. We will see how well the cloud works.

5. iDabble macrumors regular

I'll be getting a 16. Fortunate to still have an unlimited plan

6. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

iCloud does not really help much at all with local storage problems. It's mainly just for a backup of your device should the unfortunate happen. Your music is stored on there, but it does not stream. You will download your content as you consume it and it will be stored locally.

7. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

oh yeah it won't matter because i have unlimited....does it store the data on my computer or what

8. NoHo macrumors 6502

Anyone on a 2gb data plan should probably buy a larger capacity iPhone right away since they can't get unlimited. Or if you can choose who to go with, definitely go with Sprint and hold onto your unlimited data plan forever.

9. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

oh i thought i could get even more data that i didn't have on my phone...like put music on icloud to save space

10. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I went for the 64. It is probably overkill, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not that much more and since I plan on recording video a lot, it was worth it.

11. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

That was possible to do in one of the early betas. Apple cut out the feature and made it clear that iCloud was not a streaming service.

12. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I think eventually I might not "need" a lot of on board storage if iCloud is all it's cracked up to be.

I ordered a 64GB 4s though. Mostly because I am planning on loading it up with pics and video while on vacation, partially because I wanted a 64GB for a while, and a little because I get paranoid about not having enough space.

I have not really seen iCloud in action yet so I didn't want to assume it would do the trick. I will use it over the next year and see how I like it and decide from there. I do have hope that eventually the cloud and streaming audio will cut back drastically on the need for large storage capacity on the phone. But as the camera gets better, the more space our pics and vids will take up.

13. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

doesn't 8 megapixel just make bigger pictures, not more clear? will the quality go down if i don't wanna use 8 megapixels

14. acepaul macrumors newbie

Exactly. I have been recording and editing HD for about two years now. I dont care what kind of compression Apple uses, it takes up a ton of space. If you dont get the 64, dont plan on shooting a lot of video before dumping to your computer. And I dont think the cloud is going to help much with HD video.

----------

The bigger the picture, the more potential for a clearer picture - especially if you are making it smaller than the original size. That being said, it will all come down to the lenses and sensor - it could just give us more grain in low light.

15. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

If people can swing it, 64gb FTW. 16gb in this day and age is like a 386 PC back in 94 with 16mb of ram. Fine for it's time but no one wants to go back to that. And besides, a 16gb d/n start with 16gb when you get it.