Will the Asus Radeon Strix R9 390X 8GB work in my Mac Pro 5,1?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by eyeangle, Jul 13, 2016.

1. eyeangle macrumors member

eyeangle

I'm thinking of buying this...

http://www.centrecom.com.au/asus-radeon-strix-r9-390x-8gb-gddr5-graphics-card

...because I read on MacVidCards.com that Radeon GPUs don't need drivers because they're prebuilt into to OSX which suits me just fine.

It's a big card so I just want to know if it'll fit. And it requires an 8-pin and 6-pin power cable so will I be able to use a 6-8pin adapter to run it off the logic board?

Also I read this on MacVidCards.com;

"When installed in a Mac Pro a stock PC GPU will only be able to utilize the outdated PCIe 1.0 format. A card flashed with a Mac BIOS will be able to work at PCIe 2.0 speeds, supporting twice the data rate."

I wasn't planning on getting this flashed so does this apply to me that it'll only have PCIe 1.0 speed?

It also says this;

"Cards with our Mac BIOS are able to run their full monitor arrangement (unless specifically noted) and make use of the most up to date technologies, including 4K monitor support and CUDA, OpenCL and OpenGL support."

Again, does this apply to me?

2. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

All NO.

The card may work OOTB with some OSX version, but not stable so far. So, in another word, NO.

The card draw about 260W real world full load. Since the card should not (and no need) to draw right at 75W from the 6pin and the PCIe slot. So, the 8 pin can easily draw >120W, which is about the cMP's self shut down protection limit (N.B. the official limit of the 6pin is just 75W, 120W is already 60% beyond the official limit. You should not operate a card constantly close to this power draw. In fact, you should not go over 75W). Even the card draw right at 75W from both the 6pin and the slot. And you are happy to operate beyond the 75W limit. There are still 110W from the 8pin, IMO, that's still too close to the shut down limit (120W). So, will I recommend you to run that card via a simple 6-8pin adaptor? NO

AMD card get PCIe 2.0 via a resistor mod (hardware mod), NOT via Mac EFI.

AMD card don't have CUDA, 4K boot screen is exclusively for Nvidia Maxwell card at this moment. NO flashed AMD card can do that.

3. Draeconis macrumors 6502a

Might be better to see if MVC/Netkas has more luck with the R9 Nano on Sierra. Looks good so far, but drivers are purely at the discretion of Apple.

Nvidia would be the better option, but we're still waiting for Pascal support from their web drivers. Now if only AMD did OS X web drivers themselves..