Will the bright white screen be addressed?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Iphone5preorder, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Iphone5preorder, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013

Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

Hey folks,

I know nobody really knows the answer to this. But I also know there are some hardcore folks on here who follow Apple's every move. So that being said, has anyone heard anything about Apple providing an alternative to this bright iOS update?

My eyes are getting really tired. Yes, I've turned brightness down. But I'm afraid a lot of us are getting used to the eye strain. Want to test this out? Go to settings> general> accessibility > invert colors, and feel your eyes relax.

It shouldn't be like this. We use our phones so much that it shouldn't be eye straining to look at it. Apple should at the very least provide an alternative (invert doesn't count obviously).

I'm asking this because I'm DESPERATE for a solution because I'm very close to returning this and getting something different. Keep in mind I hate all other phones but I can't stand the brightness of this thing either...

Knowing my luck, if I switch now, they will provide an update in two weeks with an alternative and then I'm stuck with a galaxy or something.

I realize it's not bright for everyone, so we don't need to hear how it's not bright to you.. Thanks :)

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This is not me trying to shut down your complaint, but I'm curious: How have you gotten by for the last 25 years-worth of daily Word/Excel/Outlook use at work every day?

3. Iphone5preorder thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm 25 ;) so I've had about five years of daily excel in my face.

But I would imagine its different because you hold the phone closer to your face. Whereas my monitors sit a good two-three feet away.

Trust me, I'm not complaining for the sake of complaining. Switching to a galaxy over this is insanely hard to do because I love iPhones. Also keep in mind there are articles on this and tons of people complaining about the bright menus etc so I'm sure there is a better answer to your question. Maybe pixel related? Screen type? No idea.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

1 - Go see an eye doctor
    2 - Turn your brightness down

5. photodesign macrumors member

photodesign

Try this in settings:

Settings > General > Accessibility >

Bold Text: on

Increase Contrast: on

6. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Don't think they'll be changing it anytime soon.

7. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Oh, you young'uns!

There are many of us who HAVE been using those bright whites in apps and such for 25+ years and our eyes are still fine….

If you're having that big of a problem at your age, then something is wrong and you need to consult an eye doctor, not Apple!

8. celly macrumors 6502

I never noticed an issue personally. FWIW, my wife made the same complaint yesterday. All I can suggest is tweak those accessibility settings as others have mentioned.

9. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

I love how white it is now. It's one of my favorite changes. I don't think Apple will provide an alternative.

10. Mr.C macrumors 601

Exactly. There is no reason why the new GUI scheme should be eye straining unless there is something wrong with the eyes in the first place. If anything it is very refreshing and much easier to use then previous iOS GUI's.

11. Charadis macrumors 6502a

I don't know/think this will be addressed, but when a jailbreak becomes available, I can tell you how to take matters into your own hands and circumvent the problem by replacing the icons with iOS 6.x.x icons/theme. One word: winterboard.

12. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Hell, with age, you'd at least expect some degeneration, as that's normal…but it should not be an issue for anyone that young.

And though I am not necessarily fond of the colors as a matter of personal preference, I have also found it much easier on the eyes.

13. ABC5S macrumors 68040

For me, OP is right. But I'm 68, and I got eye strain from the iphone 5S, and just thought it was old age. Turned on Bold and it helped a tad, but at one point I saw a blurry screen, turned away, and started up my desktop, and the strain/blurriness was still present. Returned the iPhone 5s, made another appointment with my Doctor, that I had just seen 2 months prior. Said my eyes were fine (20/20) but contribute the strain to the display in some way, but he did not have the iPhone, so he could not pin point it to the new iOS or not. :confused:

14. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Your age could just mean that your eyes experience strain much sooner than they would, when you were younger. Your vision could be 20/20, but some things could still cause difficulty.

Sorry you had to give up the 5s, though.

15. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

I just did this per your recommendation and I notice my eyes are less strained. Thanks! Give it a shot OP.

16. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

so this is what it's come down to?

if somethings wrong with something apple made, then consult a doctor?

why don't you see a doctor because you're brain can't comprehend that apple can, in fact, do something wrong.. :rolleyes:

17. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Because, if they'd really screwed it up, everyone would be having the problem, not just a select few.

And great way to act like a 12 year old! Congrats!!!

18. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I would say it's not so much the white background (or color) but the blue light that LCDs emit. OP, another poster mentioned jailbreaking. There is one tweak a lot of us jailbroken on iOS 6 use called f.lux. f.lux reduces the amount of blue light that LCDs emit the closer you get to sundown. By the time it's truly dark a lot of that blue light has been considerably reduced.

Studies have been done that show the effect of blue light at night. Blue light is common when the sun is up because that's a large part of what the sun emits. Blue light at night can induce headaches and contribute to sleeplessness.

f.lux because it reduces blue light can make your screen much easier to read at night (and during the day) by making the screen warmer (more orange light). That in turn makes it easier to get to sleep and screens using f.lux don't blind at night. One user who jailbroke has seen his headaches considerably reduced because of f.lux.

If you're interested in seeing what it can do, go here. Note that I am not a shill for them, just a very satisfied user. I have f.lux on my Mac and my iPhone. Unfortunately, because f.lux needs to run in the background Apple does not allow it to be in the Apple store, so a jailbreak is the only way to get it.

19. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I'm the 12 year old? at least I can see that apple is wrong in many areas, whereas you can't. I guess that bright iOS 7 ui "blinds" you from seeing the truth.

Bright light has impact on most peoples eyes. If you disagree, then I guess you're a perfect human being.

Do you walk around in the day time on a sunny day without sun glasses? If so, how fatigued are your eyes after the day is done?

I don't have problems with bright lights but I find that if I'm exposed to them for longer periods of time, then my eyes get strained. This is normal behaviours as bright lights DO put strain on your eyes.

20. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

They most likely won't change it in iOS 7 but I would think definitely by 8 they will re-work the colours. It is a bit too much in your face. While I respect that some people have no issue with it, some people do. In iOS 6 this problem did not exist. I like iOS 7 so I'll put up with it for now but the colour scheme is not better than previous and that needs to be addressed.

21. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

I agree, plus unless you work in an extremely dark office there's always a lot of surrounding light meaning your work computer screen is nowhere near as tiresome to look at.

This is true, anyone who tries this and doesn't feel their eyes become more relaxed and comfortable, isn't normal (or perhaps fibbing for other purposes).

22. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

23. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Your phone screen hardly compares to the sun.

24. converge macrumors member

I agree with the poster above regarding f.lux. It will be the first thing I install if a Jailbreak becomes available for iOS7. It's currently the reason my iPad is still on iOS 6 since I mostly use that at night.

25. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

Sounds like your a little bit farsighted probably and it's just showing its self. As others have said go to a eye doctor and tell them your having problems viewing your phone. Get checked out and go from there.