Will the Democrats Shut Down the Government?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Southern Dad, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

There seems to be a break between members of the Democrat party. Elizabeth Warren called on House Democrats to block the bill but it passed. The bipartisan spending bill is headed for the Senate where Elizabeth Warren may choose to filibuster it.

This is all because there are provisions within the bill that she, and other Democrats do not like. The bill passed the House 219-206, with 162 Republicans and 57 Democrats voting in favor.

If this bill dies in the Senate, we will be faced with another partial government shutdown. The very kind that Elizabeth Warren raged against in the pat.

2. .Andy, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014

.Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Would you sign a bill that winds back the Dodd-Frank changes and increases in caps on campaign contributions? Are either of those things good for democracy? Or do they further concentrate political power in the wealthy?

3. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The Republicans were faced with a similar question, fund the government including the ACA which they opposed. 57 Democrats in the House voted in favor of the omnibus. The President wants the omnibus passed. If voted on in the Senate it will pass.

The question becomes whether she will shut down the government over it.

4. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

That wasn't the question. In this case winding back both the Dodd-Frank and campaign contribution cap further weakens US democracy. It weakens your vote. It further concentrates power in the rich (not you or me). Is this something you would vote for? If so why?

Is your reasoning to water down your own political voice purely because the democrats passed the ACA?

5. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I'd vote for the bill because it keeps the government from another partial shutdown that could have long range political repercussions on the party.

6. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I for one would love for it to pass, and for Senators and Congressmen would have to wear jackets (The name of the major corporation that paid his election victory) while sitting in session.

you know like Sports advertisements.

Every time they are on TV the bottom of the screen must run a constant message this politician is bought and paid for by **********

7. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Which is exactly why the political voice of the people is getting watered down again and again. Both the democrats and republicans are forever concentrating power in their own hands and in the hands of those who fund their campaigns. It's not what democracy should be about. The party isn't what matters, its the people. The culture wars distraction of left vs right is akin to giving a small child a shiny set of jingly keys.

8. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

No matter how many dollars in a candidates war chest, it is still the voters that make the decision. Dollars don't vote. Corporations don't vote. Unions don't vote. Citizens vote.

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

And what happens after the elections? Once the $$$$$$$ of the rich and corporations has been used to sway voters? Who has the say on policy then?

10. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The bigger problem is that the voters are so easily swayed by 60 second commercials during American Idol.

11. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I would love them to vote Honey Boo Boo for President.:p

12. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

She doesn't meet the eligibility.

---------------------

The President himself has asked that this bill pass.

13. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I don't think that is a bigger problem than the slow erosion of political power away from the populace.

Since when did you care what obama said? IMHO if obama wants something passed it isn't because he believes it is for the good of the people.

14. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Too smart!!!!:p

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Obama is screwed. Functioning government matters so you have to pass something.

And you know the republicans won the election fair and square so they should get their way. If the democratic voters want it differently they have to actually turn up and vote.

16. Happybunny macrumors 68000

If you want people to Vote, link the system to the Show American Idols.:p

Most people are turned off by politics and don't vote, but complain like hell when they don't like something.

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It's a **** bill, typical of our government recently. I'd point out that 72 Republicans voted against it.

'Murica...where the NRA writes our gun laws, ALEC writes our voting laws and Chase writes our finance laws.

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    No, but corporations and unions fund, and those with more funds tend to be seen more often by the voting public, and are thus more likely to get more of their votes.

19. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Exactly. The gap (hell, the chasm) between election results and governance has been written about since the 1970s, growing by leaps and bounds since the 1980s. Now after the Citizens United ruling (and if this budget bill's tack-on over political contributions prevails), the sky's not even a practical limit for purchase of governance. This though you and I can also still buy as much free speech as we can afford, wink wink...

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Amazingly the stupid, gullible lambs are voting for the wolves. :mad:

21. TimelessOne macrumors regular

And I call that ignorance thinking.
    It let's them sell more lies making it harder for the voter to get informed. It allows more noise not less.

22. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

That is the fault of the voter. If the voter chooses to be led by the commercials, so be it. We do not require voters to know anything about what they are voting on. My 12-year-old daughter corrected her teacher, a few weeks ago. The teacher told the class Harry Reid was in the line of succession.

23. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Oh man, that's the funniest thing I've heard all day.

Tell me again: Why does advertising exist?

24. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Advertising exists to tell the ignorant voters which way they should vote. In 2012, the Democrats couldn't convince as many as the Republicans did. Therefore, they lost. Imagine if voters were required to know something about the candidate. Heck, imagine if politicians were required to know what was in a bill before voting for it.