Will the end of cell phone contracts happen ? is it the stupidest

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, May 18, 2015.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

way of getting a cell phone?

It makes no sense how most companies want people to have a credit score just so they can get a phone. They should do things differently than being forced into a contract. 90 percent of people THINKS the iPhone only cost $200 but they are tricked and pay way more just for being on contract.

WHAT companies should do is make people sign a agreement without any credit score or big stressful contracts with many restriction.
    The agreement should be is that if the person does not pay the due amount in a certain time...There phones will be blacklisted. Something like that...or pay the phone $200 with a credit card and continue paying them the remaining amount and if not due then they automatically charge the credit card.
    But without being forced into a contract that has many restrictions and can also ruin credit score. Like many people may not be able to pay both the phone due and phone service at the same time and that is what is bad about contracts for a phone. You are forced to pay for something with restrictions and services that you may not use much of.

2. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

Where do you live? You're basically describing T-Mobile USA's business model. I'd recommend them if that's an option for you.

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

Welcome to 2013. This has been available on TMO for quite some time now.

4. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

Because there's still a sizable market for on-contract phones. Some people prefer the fixed upgrade schedule, because they'll always have a new subsidized phone every two years.

But, as others have mentioned, T-Mobile went contract-free two years ago and all of the other telcos have followed suit with some kind of contract-free option. I never considered going to a smartphone until better contract-free and prepaid options became available. Now, there are plenty of options.

5. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Prepaid? I guess I don't get what you want. T-mobile already does this as other posters mentioned. If you can't afford to pay for a phone and the service at the same time that isn't the carriers problem. It should tarnish your credit, you (i'm not directing this at you OP, just in general) aren't responsible and you didn't hold up your end of the bargain.

6. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

AT&T allowed people to drop the contracts last year. They actually forgave subsidies of anyone that switched to their shared data plans.

I don't know what Verizon and Sprint do, but with AT&T and T-Mobile I know that you can just grab any phone and start using it with their service. No contracts required. No network-locked devices required.

7. rockitdog Suspended

I'm guessing the OP has no credit or bad credit, just a hunch....

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Will the end of weird thread titles happen ? is it the weirdest

way of creating threads?

9. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

You'll have to pay for the phone somehow. You can either get a contract, which is like buying the phone on HP, or you can buy the handset outright and take a SIM only deal for airtime. There isn't really another option is there?

10. bniu macrumors 6502a

Cell phone service should be very simple, we buy whichever phone we want, we go to the carrier we want and buy service. How simple is that?

Plus with the true prices of cell phones being revealed, the demand curve will shift back left now that it's no longer being supported by a subsidy. This means the market price for the phone will go down as well. Subsidies look great on paper, but in the end, all they do is artificially inflate the market price.