Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NeonBible

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
I am always bringing my iPhone to the bathroom to use it with my stereo docking. Every time I'm done in the shower, the mirror always gets very steamed. Lately I've begun to think about the damage the steam could occur the iPhone. But do I have a reason to get concerned?

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
There have been stories about how shower steam can trigger the moisture sensors in the iPhone.

It likely wouldn't harm your phone, but, if the sensors turn red, you'd be hard pressed to convince Apple any problems you may have in the future aren't related to water damage.

RocketRed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012
I am always bringing my iPhone to the bathroom to use it with my stereo docking. Every time I'm done in the shower, the mirror always gets very steamed. Lately I've begun to think about the damage the steam could occur the iPhone. But do I have a reason to get concerned?

Yes you do.

Humidity can destroy your phone and cause parts to cease function.

It may also trigger the water sensor, which is NOT covered by AppleCare.

Source: From hong kong. Electronics and Humidity do not get along.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I remember someone posting about steam over time causing their screen to look permanently foggy. It somehow got under the screen.

iPusch

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Manhattan, New York
I always covered my iPhone in a shelf and listened 2 music during the shower but since I have my iPad with iTunes Match I always let it unhide so its louder o_O

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
It could harm your phone, but chances are it won't.

It may trigger your water sensors, however. That could be a problem if your phone has another problem.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I was thinking the OP was going in a completely different direction concerning bathroom fumes...:p

Ok, back on track.

Yea, lol, I have never heard shower steam referred to as bathroom fumes...

When I had my house during College, I just cranked my home theater system and left the bathroom door open. If you have the ability to open or crack the door... it will help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.