Will the Green and Libertarian candidates join the fall debates?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, May 21, 2016.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

It will be interesting to see of the DNC/GOP debates will be closed to Green, Libertarian, or independent candidates. I susepct that the Republicrat duopoly will invoke some convenient "law" that precludes any other party from joining the debate.

2. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

No law per se. Just the pressure of the Republican and Democratic parties to keep them out.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

And the media is happy to do so

4. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

I'm sure the two parties will do their best to shut them out. However, Bernie will be the loudest voice demanding that they be allowed to participate. The DNC will have little choice since they risk offending Bernie supporters if they don't permit third parties to debate. The GOP is probably less concerned about it.

5. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Green, no. They will not meet the minimum threshold of 10% polling. However the libertarian party just might meet that target, we shall see. I hope that they do. It would be great to see a third party in both the main candidate debates as well as the VP one.

6. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

The DNC's minimum 10% threshold? That means nothing and Bernie's people know it. Play that B.S. rule at your (i.e. Hillary's) own risk.

7. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Excellent points, though the media is usually drawn more to what brings in the big ratings since that means more profit. I don't think there's as much a conspiracy as there is basic profit motive. Now ideally, our government would have an equal time clause and have a set amount of tax money for each registered party and disallow outside donations or input entirely to keep a republic's values unfettered. Until then, all the fair complaints of "that candidate is getting so much more free air time" has more to do with the media companies wanting to make money than to care about how this country is governed - at least until regulations on how it might have to work are put into place. And not all of those regulations are just, either.

8. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I'd reply to your comment if I could make any sense of it. But I can"t. Can you explain more? Are you saying there shouldn't be any criteria? And considering we are talking general election debates here, this is beyond the scope of merely the DNC. This wouldn't be a DNC debate.

9. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

As if, parties somehow get to operate without the oversight of law. They seem to be able to make their rules, and make them no matter who objects and even though they have a huge say in who this nation's leader is... yet not many or in some cases no laws are on the books to control their behavior across the country or state by state. We are at the whim of a political organization that has no legal standing and it is so odd to me that it is a real thing.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What threshold would you suggest?

11. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

it looks like it's the Commission on Presidential Debates that organizes debates in the general election, and it appears that 15% is the threshold..........too high in my opinion

CPD

12. Eraserhead, May 21, 2016
    Last edited: May 21, 2016

Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'd say 5% was sensible.

But that said in the last election no non top 2 party got more than 1%, back in 2000 the greens got 2.74%.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'd say being on the ballot in enough states to theoretically win the election should be the criteria. Probably for lower polling candidates there is no need to give them as much time but if people see them in the debates they have a better chance as being seen as viable.

14. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Off the top of my head, any party with 250,000 or greater membership seems reasonable.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That would let the libertarians in but not the greens. To be fair they are close enough they'd meet the threshold.
    --- Post Merged, May 21, 2016 ---
    That would let in the greens and the libertarians. That would work.

16. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

You know that for sure? I expect both parties have seen a surge in membership over the past few months. I'm sure whatever number the DNCGOP came up with would exclude both of them.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I looked at their Wikipedia pages. The greens membership is 248,000.

18. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

This would be more to my liking. I'd like to see 4 or 5 people in the debate.

19. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

That was 2014. I'm sure their membership has increased greatly this election season. Anyway 250K was an arbitrary number.