Will the Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics 5200 run all Photoshop effects?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mark.tomlin, Oct 29, 2014.

1. mark.tomlin macrumors newbie

I am about to buy a MacBook Pro (and Photoshop and Lighteroom CC) and cant decide between the one with dedicated GPU and the one without. I want to go for the one without - the increased battery performance and lack of overheating are favourable.

BUT... I cant get a definite answer to whether the Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics 5200 on the 4th gen i7 processors (ie the one without the dedicated GPU) will run these Photoshop effects:

• Adaptive Wide Angle Filter (compatible video card required)
    • Liquify (accelerated with compatible video card with 512 MB of VRAM)
    • Oil Paint (compatible video card required)
    • Warp and Puppet Warp (accelerated with compatible video card)
    • Field Blur, Iris Blur, and Tilt/Shift (accelerated with compatible video card supporting OpenCL)
    • Lighting Effects Gallery (compatible video card required with 512 MB of VRAM)
    • New 3D enhancements (3D features in Photoshop require a compatible video card with 512 MB of VRAM):
      [*]Draggable Shadows
      [*]Ground plane reflections
      [*]Roughness
      [*]On-canvas user interface controls
      [*]Ground plane
      [*]Light widgets on edge of canvas
      [*]IBL (image-based light) controller

I don't need them to run massively fast, I just need to know if they will work without a dedicated GPU. I appreciate the Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics 5200 supports open gl/cl but I cant find an idiots proof answer if that means all these features will work or if some will be disabled.

HELP!

Cheers

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Yes - it will, and relatively fast. The main advantage of the dedicated GPU is that you're getting 2GB of video RAM, and PS CC (and any plug-ins or video editing programs) will utilize it over the shared video RAM with Iris Pro Graphics (about 1.5GB equivalent video RAM).

If you get a system with 16GB of RAM (the 15" rMBP's come standard with this) you won't need to worry.