All iPads Will the iPad ever allow the use of a fine-tipped stylus?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jread, Jan 26, 2014.

1. jread macrumors regular

I would love to use my iPad to write notes in meetings, but the keyboard is not that great, and I prefer to write by hand so that I can draw arrows, diagrams, etc. I have tried the bamboo stylus that everyone loves, but I did not find writing with it to be remotely enjoyable. I have very small writing, and like a fine-point pen, but this seems to be impossible to do on a capacitive touch screen. The Jot Pro seems to be about the closest thing for now, but it still has to use a weird disc at the tip of the stylus.

Do you guys think there will be a day when you can use the iPad with your fingers as you do now, but there would also be a "stylus mode" that supports a fine-tipped stylus that lets you write at the same size you would on actual paper? I just think that a lot more people would use their iPads for taking notes, art, etc. if this were the case.

2. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

One can hope. If Apple releases an iPad Pro (which is logical considering the renaming of 10" iPad to iPad Air) then that's our best chance. A Pro model would justify a higher price, and therefore enough margin for a Wacom (or similar) digitizer. It's also one of the few reasonable hardware features missing that would distinguish a pro model. Obviously weren't not getting USB or SD ports.

Asking this question on this forum is likely to receive numerous naysayers. Ignore them. Until Apple tells them what they need, they feel no desire for logical features and improvements. The same people will likely also swear there's no need for side by side multitasking.

3. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i would say probably not because apple has always been pushing how you can just use your finger to do everything. but who knows.

4. NP9 macrumors newbie

What about the Adonit Jot Script http://adonit.net/jot/script/ ?
    If that's not a fine-tipped stylus, then i got wrong the whole concept of it...

It seems to be what you are looking for.

5. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

The Jot Script is EXCELLENT! Love how it writes. However, it's about the right stylus with the right software on the iPad. The Script is supposed to be best with Penultimate...however I think Goodnotes 4 is the best notetaking software out there and it works great with the Script.

6. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

The limitation is not the width of the tip, but the resolution of the capacitative sensor grid. The jot script may have a narrow tip, but its drawing resolution is the same as the disk of a jot pro.

Anyone who wants to draw digitally needs to stop buying ineffective pen solutions and get a tablet with an active digitizer --preferably wacom--made for drawing and writing. There are hacks to get around the resolution issue--like writing your characters at 72 pt size into scalable screen window.

End of the day--this is 2014 : writing digital notes and sketching should be as easy and seamless as typing. And it is on a Samsung or Microsoft tablet. I initially thought this would be resolved by the second or third generation--the outlook now is rather bleak

7. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

How about the Pencil from 53? I haven't used it and it looks to be more of a creative design tool, but it can write fine lines. Maybe?

8. TheAnvil macrumors regular

The problem is that there are too many people who are very satisfied with using third rate alternatives. Especially, the people who claim these alternatives are just as good as having a Wacom digitizer, they and their attitude will hold Apple back, why provide something when the majority are satisfied without it?

9. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

I just got my paper-fifty-three Pencil. It a good product with largely sucessful palm rejection. The tip is of the foam type, although well designed within those limitations. I would say it works well within the "fun" scheme of paper.

It does not--iom--offer any competition to a wacom pen. I have just reconciled myself to the reality proper pen integration is $600-$2000 problem--and the ipad is not part of the solution

10. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

I have Wacom's Intuos Creative pen for iPad, and the huge bubble tip kills accuracy. Still feels like finger painting to me.

May end up with a Surface Pro 2 because it seems to be the only Wacom-enabled tablet with enough good software to justify the purchase. If I didn't care so much about software I'd get a Samsung Note or Wacom's new Android tablet.

11. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

Nota Stylus looks promising.
    http://www.hex3.co/products/nota

It has a larger tip than the Jot Script though.

I had a Jot Script but got annoyed at the sound it makes when writing (tap tap tap tap). Note this sound wouldn't be as much of an issue with cursive writing, but my printing is bad enough.

I think I might order the Nota and give it a try.

I just ordered a walnut 53 Pencil. Looking forward to trying that as well.

12. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

I agree with this to a point. However, the majority of people are simply wanting to forgo the paper/pen combo to take notes on the iPad digitally. The styli that are being produced now are doing a fairly good job of that. Not excellent, but getting getting better. However, I can understand the frustration of graphic designers and artists that would like to do their work on an iPad...that seems to be extremely difficult.

13. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Ever is a very long time. Who knows? All you can do is sort out what works for you now.

14. jread thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you all for the replies. It looks like there is some decent technology out there that I didn't even know existed. None of them are really what I'm looking for, but they are a BIG step in the right direction. Will give one of these a try and see how it goes.

15. sebastian..., Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014

sebastian... macrumors regular

There already is a fine-tipped stylus.

- 4048 levels pressure sensitivity that can be calibrated and adjusted to different curves.
    - Gyro sensor, so integrated Apps will know the pen angle.
    - Optional gestures! Double tap or shake to undo, or even multi tap to change tools. (see video)
    - Ultrafine 1.9mm tip, plus interchangeable tips to suit your inking or artistic style

and others. It's called YuFu Stylus.

[​IMG]

16. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

I am in the same boat. I like windows 8 (sorta) and use skydrive--so i am leaning surface pro 2. Both are out of stock in Canada since before Christmas

17. bluespark macrumors 65816

I strongly agree that Apple should add capability to use pen-like styli with the iPad. I use my iPad mini to markup PDF documents while I commute to work in the mornings. It would be vastly easier to draw arrows, write notes, etc. with a small-tipped stylus.

That said, I actually agree with Steve Jobs' initial decision to eschew the stylus in favor of the finger. It gave the product focus and immediate appeal to consumers and insured that developers were creating apps that anyone could use with their fingers. Now, however, the product has matured, people aren't second-guessing the utility of a tablet, and there is no shortage of apps that anyone can use. It's therefore time for specialized tools for those who need them. Otherwise, over time, some of us will be drawn toward alternative platforms that provide what Apple does not.

18. wrosie macrumors member

Great tip---thanks!

I have used the Jot Script with Penultimate. Results were ok but nothing spectacular. After I read your comment, I purchased Goodnotes 4 and WOW! What a difference! Goodnotes 4 has wonderful features, and the Jot Script works like a charm. Thanks for the tip!

19. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

I just received the Nota stylus. Same company as YuFu.

It has a narrow tip and is able to operate because it has a battery and sends some sort of electronic signal through the tip to interact with the touch sensor of the screen. This is why it can be narrower.

It works moderately well with the iPad air. I can write smaller with the Nota than with my finger. Still doesn't approach pencil and paper. Having said that, I think I would be happy taking notes for a while with this.

I've used the iPad 2, 3 and Air. With each generation note taking has gotten better allowing you to write smaller characters and to write them more quickly. I'm hopeful that in the next generation or two it will be great for note taking.

20. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

I'm not interested in a stylus that only works with select apps, especially when that stylus costs $80 - $100 (in addition to app costs). It needs to be integrated into the tablet and OS.

Apple could go in this direction to breath new life into the tablet market, but that'll be some interesting back-pedaling when they announce it.

21. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

The pen tip itself is narrower, but input profile to the screen sensor is still as thick as a foam style pen--the battery and electronics are used to create an invisible sensing area around the pen nib.

I am not trying to shout down your views and I wish you luck with the pen. I would just ask that you and other ipad pen apologists try the surface pro. Its a game changer.

22. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Well, if you look at the patent story on today's front page - a touch-sensitive screen which also can detect accidental touches (so, a hand resting on the screen while drawing with the pen-tip) - it looks like this might be on the way.

Add to that the rumours of a bigger pro iPad, you have a very interesting product.

23. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I have the Jot Touch and it is able to write reliably at extremely small sizes in Goodnotes. The disc is a bit of a pain, but as far as precision goes, it is very good. I also have the Jot Script and while the tip is finer, they currently have an offset issue meaning that it cannot write accurately at the small sizes. If I'm using the zoombox I prefer the Script.

24. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

I have used the jot for 2 years. Its a good product but its ability to draw small characters is limited by the resolution of the ipad capacitative grid. Thats why you can cant write small letters

25. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I assure you I can write at the same size as I would with a pen and standard sheet of paper. I write in Goodnotes as a journal and have written hundreds of pages single-spaced filling every inch of the page.

[​IMG]

It is also worth noting that I have a Surface Pro, yet I do all of my writing on my iPad. The Surface has especially bad accuracy at the edges and corners, and is really let down by the quality of software available. OneNote is great, but it's not what I want to use as a journal.