Will the Iphone 5 be available unlocked at launch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jskee, Jul 30, 2012.

1. jskee macrumors newbie

Hi

Do you guys think the unlocked version of the iphone 5 in USA will be available at launch. Because I am about to go to the USA in late august and I need a phone. So one option is for me to buy a 4s when I go to hong kong next week and stick with it. Or to use a dumb phone and wait for the unlocked iphone 5. Which do you guys suggest is better. I know the unlocked 4s only came out 1 month after its launch.

2. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

Very likely.

3. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

No. Unlocked units will come later. The demand is too strong to bother offering unlocked models.

4. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

5. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

iPhone 5 in Hong Kong will come out months after it's initial release in USA (it happened with the 4 and 4S).

It's possible to get an iPhone 5 in Hong Kong, but it'll be 1.5x more expensive and probably the UK edition (unlocked).

I just came back from the phone mall in Hong Kong (3 floors, every store selling phones and phone accessories). There are many second hand iPhone 4s that are going for decent prices. You could get a 4S first, and then wait for the unlocked 5 to come out in your native land.

6. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

Come to the UK and buy your unlocked phone here on the day of release ;)

7. NbinHD, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012

NbinHD macrumors 6502

It's been reported by several sources that Apple is most likely going be announcing the iPhone on the 12 of September, and release, for purchase on the 21 of September.

8. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

Too bad you have absolutely no credibility on your sources.

9. yegon macrumors 68020

That'll be me, no more contract tyranny for me :)

The One Plan from 3 ftw.

10. jskee thread starter macrumors newbie

Just wondering, do you happen to know if I were to buy a unlocked Iphone 4s in Hong Kong next week. Would the warranty be valid in Boston, USA?

11. RocketRed, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012

RocketRed macrumors 6502a

You can buy it in many places. the iPhone is the most popular phone in Hong Kong right now, followed by the Samsung Galaxy Note.

Every iPhone released in Hong Kong has been factory unlocked, as there is a law that requires all phones to be unlocked.

Warranty will NOT be valid anywhere in the world, except Hong Kong, assuming you buy it directly from the Hong Kong Apple Store (at IFC mall).

There are many smaller shops that sell new and 2nd hand iPhone's, especially in the phone mall located in Mong Kok. However I do not recommend it as you risk the chance of being ripped off or scammed. Nothing personal, but unless you are fluent in speaking and listening to Cantonese, they (small shop dealers) will try to rip you off or make you pay more for less.

If you want legit places to purchase iPhone 4s (Brand New), go to the Apple Store at IFC Mall, Fortress (a chain of shops that sell electronic stuff) or Broadway (same as Fortress). These shops are reputable.

*Edit* I believe you can also purchase it, brand new and unlocked, from Hong Kong phone network stores too, such as China Telecom, Three, Peoples...etc.

Personally, I would recommend Apple Store, Fortress and Broadway. They (should) have english speaking staff and are usually polite to foreigners.

12. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

For the sake of warranty, I would wait to buy it when it is available here. When it is announced, I am sure an Apple employee will be able to tell you when it will become available, and you can base your decision off of that information.

13. NbinHD macrumors 6502

Look at the latest news on the MR page. There have been like 6 organizations who have confirmed the date. Derppppp.

14. hakuna-matata macrumors 6502

Maybe. Try @ Cupertino?:D

15. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

It's been confirmed by Apple? Derp.

16. NbinHD macrumors 6502

No, Apple has not confirmed it. But with several sources, who have been known to have the correct information in the past, stating that it will most likely be announced on the 12th of September, it seems likely it will happen. I never said defiantly did I? I said most likely. Derp to yourself mate.

17. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

Nowhere in any of your posts, did you say "most likely".

I believe in the facts, not rumors. I sure hope you never become a journalist.

18. NbinHD macrumors 6502

Excuse me, read my original reply mate.

19. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

You do know every single country except for the US has always had unlocked models available at launch.

----------

It doesn't have to be confirmed by apple for us to know that is the date. If you've been following apple rumors for long you should know once 10+ sites confirm the same thing there's a 99% chance it's true.

----------

I suggest you reread this thread.

20. cyks, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012

cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Your original reply... The one that has already been quoted accurately in this thread, you went and edited, and are now telling him to read again?

Sorry, but you lose all credibility when it blatantly says right below your post that you edited it at the same time your "re-read my post" comment went up.

21. saud0488 macrumors 6502

More like won't to create demand.

22. NbinHD macrumors 6502

What so I'm not aloud to edit a post because I incorrectly spelled something? The original post of mine said most likely.

23. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Highly unlikely an unlocked version will be available at launch in the US. That first month or so has historically been reserved for carrier contract sales. I see no reason this will change.

24. wysiwyg1972 macrumors member

In Canada, during the iPhone 4 launch, they actually gave preference to unlocked phones on the first couple days as the contract renewals were just so slow and tying up all the geniuses. I was in and out on the first day (around 19:30) in about 20 mins bypassing the line!

25. Merkie macrumors 68020

Maybe Apple should just stop producing "locked" models in the first place (like they have in most parts of the world). Locking phones is so old fashioned.