Will the iPhone 5 be scratch resistant?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by appswipe, Sep 16, 2012.

?

Will the iPhone 5 get lots of scratches over time?

1. No, Apple figured out how to make a large surface of metal completely scratch resistant

25 vote(s)
    24.3%
  2. Yes, Its design is going to be a scratch magnet

53 vote(s)
    51.5%
  3. Im going to use a case so I dont care

17 vote(s)
    16.5%
  4. Im going to use an invisible shield type protector so I dont care

8 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. appswipe macrumors 6502

After years of paranoia then I quit using cases with the iPhone 4 series because they were surprisingly scratch resistant. So I likely wont go with a case on the iPhone 5, but I'm not sure how the iPhone 5 will hold up. The fact that Apple didn't announce a bumper may indicate that they figured out how to make it scratch resistant, or it just might mean they view their products as art and just dont want people covering it.

So what do you think about the iPhone 5 and scratches?

2. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

I say you test it out on the 21st and let us all know.

3. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

The back's aluminium, and in my experience with the stuff (an iPad and a MacBook Pro), it's very scratch resistant.

The front however is just the same old glass right? So pretty tough and scratch resistant, but not bulletproof. I'd worry more about protecting the screen than the body of this iPhone, but I wouldn't worry much. :D

For the record, I'm going naked.

4. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Scratches on the black phone's anodized aluminum could be a concern. Particularly the sharp edges that see heavy wear. Had this problem on a black 2g nano. (A black sharpie should be fine for a temp touch-up, however.)

The white/silver phone shouldn't have this problem. (actually, it will, but it won't be anywhere near as noticeable since the surface coating and underlying metal are much the same color)

5. naveah macrumors regular

There is no way of knowing this for certain till the 21st, but if Apple has used Corning's Gorilla Glass 2 for the front screen and the two glass windows on the back side, it would surely be more scratch resistant than the iPhone 4/4S design.

As for the aluminum part, it will scratch as much as a MacBook Pro would scratch.

6. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

Won't be scratch resistant. Solution, be careful. My left pocket never holds anything other than my iPhone and occasionally my left hand. I've had my 4S naked since launch and I barely have any scratches or cosmetic issues otherwise.

iPhone 5 preordered, will be naked too :)

7. ObsidianBlade macrumors regular

I guess that makes us nudists.

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

As always -- take whatever precautions you're willing to deal with. Different people have different tolerance levels regarding scratches, different notions regarding the risks they're willing to take, and different levels of mitigation attempts that they're willing to use.

Even if it is scratch resistant, scratch resistant != unscratchable. Harder materials will scratch softer materials. Without first hand experience people are just speculating on what is or isn't possible which is fairly meaningless.

9. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

Realized what you meant, after I thought about where my phone would go if I were actually a nudist.:(

10. richpuer macrumors 6502

Ip4 isn't even remotely scratch resistant. I do landscaping work on my house over weekends and somehow rocks and dirt get into my pants pocket where rhebiphobe is and mine is scratche to high heaven

11. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

Couldn't vote since it's a silly poll.

1) Scratch resistance is subjective. Resistant compared to what?
    2) Anything can scratch.
    3) I'll be using shields AND a case.

12. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Haha my 4S has shields and a case. People may think its an overkill but my 4S looks mint after 9 months. If you don't use a case, at least get clear shields!

13. jcliden macrumors member

Using a case for sure. even if something IS scratch resistant, it doesnt make it scratch proof.

14. armoredsaint macrumors regular

armoredsaint

i'll be using my phone as a tool, not OCD at all :D

15. klooney macrumors regular

Hoping for the first one but reality is it will be the second option

16. in0va3 macrumors member

Simple, if you don't want your phone to get scratched then use a case. Simple as that. But if you want to go nude and don't mind your phone getting scratched then don't use a case. For me, I'm going to be using a case and screen protectors.

17. macMD macrumors 6502

macMD

Your iPhone is like your car, once it's out of the box its going to get scratched. Wrap that rascal and either Invisible Shield it (or any other brand that is 100% equal but costs way less) or get a full case on it.

18. beem4520 macrumors member

I never buy a case or screen protector.

I feel like it hides the beauty of the phone. It's not made to be hidden. Makes it looks bulky or cheap imo.

The screen doesn't seem right to me with a screen protector.

19. Cougarcat macrumors 604

From the slashgear review:

Looks like I'll be needing a temporary case on day 1 after all.

20. saleemyas3 macrumors regular

Read somewhere that the aluminum will be exactly like those used on the current macbooks. No scratches on my Macbook Air.

21. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Yep, certainly for the black/slate model. From the pocket-lint review:

22. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

New poll:

Are polls on macrumors overused?

Yes
    or
    Yes

23. appswipe thread starter macrumors 6502

Does anyone know if the White aluminum is the same color/texture/material as the MacBook Pro? because if so then those tend to scuff also and eventually discolor also but in a much uglier way since it fades with oil/dirt stains.