Will the iPhone 5 get really hot??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ohdarling, Sep 13, 2012.

1. ohdarling macrumors newbie

OK....don't flame me but I was thinking about something :eek:

When I got the *new* iPad one thing I quickly noticed(actually brought it in to return it thinking there was something wrong) that it got REALLY hot. Pretty much with any extended use over 20-30 mins it gets very hot. What I was told at Apple was that that is normal with the retina screen. Do you think this will happen with the iPhone or has anyone heard of it happening with the new Macbook Pro's?

2. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

3. Vctr macrumors regular

I wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone 5 is hot. The reason why the iPad 3 gets hot is because of the higher powered GPU. Since the iPhone 5 is much thinner and also has a faster processor, it could very well run hotter than the iPhone 4S. Plus the majority of the back enclosure is aluminum so heat will pass through it easier.

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Probably not. We're expecting to see that it is made using a more efficient process. At least 32nm.

5. onemoreanimal macrumors newbie

Yes, my iPhone 5 gets noticeably hotter than my 4S

6. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Mine does too. It's not really hot or anything, it's definitely not going to burn you or hurt you in any way, but it does get a little warm. I've noticed it after playing around with Flyover and some other graphic intensive tasks.

7. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

I used my IR thermometer to measure the back of the iPhone 5. Ambient temperature was 22C. While charging, measuring from the middle of the phone, it was 27C. The most taxing thing I've tried on my phone so far is video recording. After 15 minutes of recording, the middle of the phone was 37C. By the camera, it read 39C.