Will the iPhone 5 hold 10 hours of GPS tracking?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jakkejakkejakke, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Jakkejakkejakke macrumors newbie

Hey there macrumor community, first post.

This Friday I will be getting the iPhone 5 (coming from 3GS -> 4 -> SGS3 -> 5) and I'm super exited :).

The thing is, on Saturday we are going to do a 80km run/bike/bike (which is 1 personing running and two following on the bike, switching whenever you want) so in total it will be around 10 hours.

I'd like to track this with Endomondo, but won't know if the phone will last that long. I'll shut down wifi, LTE, 3G, and no screen during the run. So only GPS.

You guys think it will hold it ?

Thanks in advance

2. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Lol ummmm you need a data source so you need 3G or LTE on whatever you get on the hike

3. Jakkejakkejakke thread starter macrumors newbie

On the 4 I had a switch to turn of 3G, isn't available on the 5 anymore? Here in Belgium the EDGE coverage is still better than 3G :)

4. BB.King macrumors regular

Maybe get a external battery for you iphone, this way you can charge it while ridding the bike?

Should not be too heavy, a 3000mAH (2X iphone 5) battery should be the size and weight of a ipod classic.

5. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Not if you're using TomTom/Navigon/other offline maps app.

GPS will work without a cellular connection. Will take a little longer to find your position when you start the app but same accuracy.

6. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

GPS is more accurate with Wi-Fi switched off anyway.
    My iP4 could run for 8 hours using GPS to track a walk or a bike ride so I reckon you'll be fine with the 5, as long as you don't check the screen too much

----------

The 3G switch is still there on the 5. It depends on your operator. I'm on O2 UK and I can switch 3G on/off

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

^^

This

Based on my on GPS testing on the 5, it is very battery intensive...I did a test using Maps, and find my friends....I caned the battery from 70% down to 35 in 2 hours....I was constantly refreshing the data though. A good external battery is probably going to be the best solution for you I think.

8. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

9. Mrfatboy macrumors 6502

Try the "mountain bike" app for GPS and offline maps.

10. dasams macrumors member

dasams

I use Strava for tracking and a 4 hour ride took my iP5 down to 40%. No way it'd last 10 hrs. But if you don't believe me, turn on your app in the morning and watch the battery drop.