Will the iPhone 6 disappoint?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by matt.b.powell, Sep 8, 2014.

1. matt.b.powell macrumors member

I've been really torn about going to Android and giving it a go (currently a T-Mobile user and will be buying my next phone outright so I can switch if I hate it but, would like to not have to do that.) I have been using iOS 8 since June (yes I am a developer) and have not been incredibly impressed with it yet. I understand the best is yet to come but, I feel like that "best" is really just catch up.

As well the new iPhones (while I know there is nothing solid to any of the leaks so far) are lack luster. Things like the One M8 with front facing speakers, or the LG G3 with its 1440p screen or even (as silly as it may be) the Samsung Note Edge... those are more innovative and seem to be pushing the envelope of technology. It almost feels like Apple is taking it safe.

TL;DR
    All that to be said, I hope to be blown away tomorrow by the keynote otherwise I think my next device will be an Android... any thoughts?

2. Paddle1 macrumors 68040

3. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

From you're OP, looks like you've negatively pre-judged the iP6, and are very likely to be disappointed.

For the rest of us, we don't know... haven't seen tomorrow yet!

4. matt.b.powell thread starter macrumors member

Fair points, but I think we all have an overall sense of how things will go, I am just trying to provide an honest opinion of how the things I have seen so far are shaping up. And get some others input on it as well.

Side not I realized this should have maybe gone in the iphone forum... Anyone know how to move it?

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

And this is in the iOS 8 forum (rather than the iPhone forum, where all of this likely has been discussed in more than a few threads already) because...?

6. matt.b.powell thread starter macrumors member

As I said in my post lower down, I realized it should have been put in the iPhone one... do you know how to move it?

7. Dan70 macrumors regular

I love my iPhone 5S so I won't upgrade regardless of what the iPhone 6 brings us in the coming month. What I'm really looking forward to is the iWatch. I've wanted a device to extend the use of my phone for a long time but I've waited because the only company that'll get it right with the iPhone will be Apple.

I don't think the iPhone 6 will disappoint at all however I do think that there will be more to tomorrows keynote than just the new model.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

You'd want to ask a moderator to do it (either by messaging one directly or perhaps reporting your OP and mentioning it all there).

9. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

There are thousands of threads discussing this same topic already.

There will be people disappointed, people impressed, and people who don't care after tomorrow's keynote.

10. myforwik macrumors member

Ios is getting widgets and custom key boards plus iCloud drive to allow you to store and access any type of file you want.

Basically all the advantages if andriod will be gone, but all the positives of apple will still be there.

Let's not forget the 5s is still king in CPU single core performance, and only gets edged in multi core benchmarks. We could see the 6's dual core beating andriod quad cores, and obliterating them in single core real world tests.

The iphone 6 has the potential to obliterate the competition. I look forward to the anantech review.

11. matt.b.powell thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, that's an interesting point. Maybe its not about the 6 at all for me. Maybe it will be about some device I can use in parallel. Although I watch a lot of movies on my phone (my desk job is ridiculously boring at times) and the bigger screen would be incredibly useful (hence why I like the idea of the LG G3's display). I await tomorrows keynote with reserved excitement haha.

12. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

None of the previous iPhones have ever dissapointed me. Different for every person I guess..

13. matt.b.powell thread starter macrumors member

If the 5.5 is real and it gets a UHD/QHD display I think I will stay with Apple but, I honestly don't see either of those things happening. Understood that 90% of Android's positives will be brought to apple but, that again leads to my previous point of Apple playing catch up/playing it safe.

But I do agree iOS 8 (if developers hope on board quickly) could completely change the way we use our phones, but will it and will that content be provided in a top notch format? That's what I am waiting on for tomorrow.

----------

I feel the same way, although I just got my first iPhone 2 years ago... but based on what information has been leaked (assuming its true) I fear I might be this time.

14. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

Im on the same fence. Nothing about the leaks or what I know of IOS8 really impress me that much.
    Other than a slightly bigger screen, it still looks like the same old of what we have been using for the last year or or two.

That being said I have been looking at other rival phones, but I dont think I can move back to Android. The OS is a little sloppy for me with how things are handled and configured, but Apple really gets you by the balls once your in the Ecosystem. Its hard to get out. lol

Plus the thought of a higher price tag and then $100 for applecare and in my case a 30mile drive each way for support if something goes wrong.
    It will still be a great phone no doubt, but starting to feel a little behind the times more lately and seems like nothing revolutionary has really been brought out since Steve Jobs passing.

15. matt.b.powell thread starter macrumors member

The Mac Pro is an incredible piece of hardware engineering... the iPhone camera sticking out and those gaudy antenna lines (if true) are not haha. I am glad I am not the only one that feels this way. I fear switching to android for the same reasons. Luckily I am not all in with Apples ecosystem (I only have the iPhone and iTunes Match but, I already have a Google Music library) so that wouldn't be such a headache for me.

----------

Thanks for the suggestions I have reported the OP and explained the situation.

16. iOz macrumors regular

Your entire post lost all credibility with the last four words.

17. satchmo macrumors 68000

Yes.
    The majority of keynotes tend to disappoint die-hard Apple fans as their expectations are usually waaaaay over the top.

Always expect less and you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    Look what happened at WWDC this year...no one expected all that!

18. sparky08 macrumors regular

These Apple release presentations have a way of making even the mediocre seem awesome. I have a feeling that there will be mass hysteria and a rush to camp out.

I'm pretty excited about tomorrow's show and tell. But I am hoping for more than a bigger screen.

19. matt.b.powell thread starter macrumors member

But, the reason I chose Apple to begin with was because the trend they had was that you didn't have to expect less. They always had "One more thing" and it always blew people away. I understand the idea behind this but, I don't know if I can realistically do it. I am not a die-hard apple fan. In fact I am a windows user/PC builder. I just have preferred iPhone's over the competition in the past.

----------

I am excited as well, and hopeful that I get to keep moving forward with my iPhone as I do enjoy it. And yes, when Jony Ive speaks, somehow the mundane seems amazing haha.

20. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

I don't think iOS 8 is all that powerful on its own. Its all the 3rd party extensions that will make iOS 8 the best mobile os in my opinion.

21. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

Are you kidding me?

The HTC Ones front facing speakers force a wasteful amount of top and bottom bezels making the phone way too long.

The G3's 1440p screen has been criticized a lot for being a gimmick that does nothing but look good on a spec sheet and, if anything, wastes battery life and processing power.

The Note Edge is a pure gimmick (what else is new from samsung?) and will not sell as well as traditional smartphones.

I'd much rather Apple look to simply improve yearly upon the normal things that smartphones need (battery life, screen size, RAM, processing speed, camera, etc) instead of trying to **** at the wall just to try and see if it sticks the way Android manufacturers do.

22. roxics macrumors regular

Nothing about the hardware tomorrow will be all that impressive. It really will just be playing catch up in a lot of ways. Bigger screen, NFC, etc. But that matters to Apple users more than Android users who have had that stuff for years.

What keeps me with Apple is iOS. I prefer the way it works on its own and with my macs. I also like that I can sync it with iTunes. I also like that most apps come to iOS first and that there are a lot of third party cases and add-ons. iOS8 will make it even better.

If you really don't care one way or the other and could go Apple or Android on a whim, then nothing tomorrow will likely impress you. Besides maybe a few software features or services.

23. matt.b.powell thread starter macrumors member

I guess, my main issue with this hope is that I don't social media, I don't watch sports, I am not sure what good the third party extensions do me. What I love about my iPhone (which I hope iOS 8 will excel at) is video watching, gaming (hoping for more story based games less time wasting games) bicycle tracking (more to just know if I am improving in times), and staying in contact with my wife and getting updates about my daughter. I use my phone for very specific things and maybe that's my problem, I don't use its full potential so, what I want out of phone is not what the general populous is wanting.

24. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

I just dont feel I have seen anything really worth going gaga over. I have plenty of Apple devices
    We are now just seeing a glimpse of things other manufacturers already have or have had for years.

Again I am in the Ecosystem and will likely cave again, but a fingerprint reader and a little larger screen isnt enough to make these phones anything better than what rivals have out there.
    I will have the same old phone, just in a larger package in a couple weeks.

25. matt.b.powell thread starter macrumors member

While I understand what you are trying to say, I feel the validity of your claims is questionable.

You bring up the HTC One M8's bezels but, all the mock ups we have seen so far of the iPhone 6 (which could be completely wrong but, its our best guess) show RIDICULOUSLY large bezels and they are there for no apparently good reason. (for a home button/touch ID... really?) In fact, from what we've seen the 5.5 is actually larger than the Note 3/4 (if it is real). But we will know for sure tomorrow.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANq3WKW3_L0

While I have not read up extensively on the G3, MKBHD (who is a well respected device reviewer) has said that even with the 1440p screen he did not see a huge battery loss/processor loss as you have stated. And I have used it in person and it feels quite quick, and talked with someone who owns one who gets more battery life out of his G3 than his 5S.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QH1qFd24bY

As for the Note Edge, I too said it was ridiculous but, atleast its something new. I can see where it may be beneficial.