Will the iPhone 7 be as prone to scratches as the iPhone 6s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Alundra, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Alundra macrumors regular

The iPhone 6s display was a major disappointment to me when it came to scratch protection. Me and my gf went through 3 of them and the result was always the same micro scratches after 1 week of use and deep scratches able to be felt with finger or nail after months of use.

Now I've got a note 7 for more than 1 week and have zero scratches on the display.

I'd rather use an iPhone but only if the iPhone 7 has a better glass this time.

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Funny that you mention the note 7 because tests conducted by tech sites have shown the Note 7's glass is easier to scratch than existing smart phones.

http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2016/08/18/psa-the-samsung-galaxy-note-7-scratches-really-easily/#gref

3. Alundra thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I was afraid of my note 7 being worse than the iPhone 6s plus after seeing that video, and but as of now I can confirm that I have zero scratches whereas the iPhone 6s plus had even deep scratches.

Maybe the problem was only on the first note 7 batches.

4. Alundra thread starter macrumors regular

I don't love android, and but i like being able to fast charge/wireless charge, and having a display without a screen protector which doesn't scratch.

However I will move back to the hobby iPhone 7 in a heartbeat if it's display doesn't scratch like the 6s did

5. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Huh?!

I've had my 6s+ for almost a year. No scratches.

What are you doing with your phone?

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Glass is glass. There is not much you can do other than use a screen protector or not put keys in the same pocket. I have a 6+ and I have no scratches on the glass. Used it naked for a few months before I slapped on a $10.00 screen protector on it I bought from TJ Maxx.

7. RedOrchestra Suspended

I just put it in a case the first day, try not to put it in the same pocket as I have coins and keys that may scratch the screen AND just forget about it and use it as intended.

8. Alundra thread starter macrumors regular

Normal use, and not just me my girlfriend 6s plus was the same. I even sent back 2 of them to Apple, but it happened to all of them so we just gave up and lived with the fact that there would be no way to avoid scratches without a screen protector.

I've been using smartphones for years and it was the first time I ever had a smartphone display scratch like this.

9. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Sorry for your issues with the phone op. I wonder if screens changed because I own a launch iPhone 6 Plus going on two years, never a case nor screen protector.

I have to actually look for a scratch on the screen to see one, there just are not any.

10. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

I don't think it's prone to scratches. I do have 2 tiny scratches close to the Lightning port. However these happened on two separate occasions when I dropped my phone inside the Apple silicone/leather case which does not cover that area of the phone. The rest of the phone is spotless.

11. Alundra thread starter macrumors regular

I think they did change after the iPhone 6. My iPhone 5s never scratched.

I'm even using my galaxy note 7 at the beach, pockets(without coins or keys, not like coins or keys should scratch gorilla glass) and still no scratches so far. Just using a back case like I did with the 6s plus.

12. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

OK. Perhaps our ideas of normal use diverge.

For me normal use means, iPhone goes in a pocket by itself when out. Nothing else with it, especially keys or metal. It sits in a specific spot inside each car, at home and work it's placed in a business card holder on a desk or sits on the arm of the couch next to me.

It is NEVER placed face down (if I am going to get a scratch I'd rather it be on the back) and I never put it down on a gritty surface.

Keep in mind, I don't use cases or screen protectors. All of the above has meant no scratches on the screen of any of my iPhones and I've had the 3GS, the 5 and the 6+ before my 6s+.

13. Alundra thread starter macrumors regular

I treat my iphones just like that, and the 6s still scratched the same

I was perplexed after seeing my 6s plus scratched just after 3 days of being treated like a baby. I guess the materials might vary with batches

14. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

15. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Interesting. Maybe I've just been lucky - or not paying any attention.

I know for a fact though that I've never had any scratches I could feel.

16. Alundra thread starter macrumors regular

Not mine, like I said, I might have gotten bad iPhone 6s plus batches, and good note 7 batch

17. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

There is no good Note 7 batch, they all have to go back, but that is a different issue.

18. Alundra thread starter macrumors regular

Good when it came to scratches at least ahah. Im waiting to replace mine until I get an iPhone 7, hopefully mine doesn't explode til then

19. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

iPhone 3G-6S Plus. 3G and 3GS had cases due to the plastic backs. Everything after that, I have not used a case or screen protector. IMO, they are a waste. I have never scratched my screens. Never had an issue or replacement because of it. I have dropped a couple of my phones and had a few nicks and minor dents in the frame but again, never cracked or scratched a screen.

I also don't put my phone in my pocket with keys or other items. Left pocket, phone. Right pocket, everything else.

20. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

I've been using my 6s for about a year now, upgrading to 7. Not a scratch anywhere.

STOP ABUSING YOUR PHONE.
    Go easy on your phone.

21. Alundra thread starter macrumors regular

How could a 3 day iPhone that didn't even leave house could've been abused?

22. AppleB macrumors 6502a

AppleB

I have had the 6 Plus since November 2014 and just cleaned the screen no scratches whatsoever. I ordered a 7 Plus and don't expect any issues with scratching. I try to be aware of not having it in my pocket with change but sometimes it happens. After having every generation of iPhone never had scratching problems. Still have the original and the screen still looks great.

23. Tubamajuba macrumors 68020

How much of this is the glass itself, and how much of it is the oleophobic coating on top of the glass?

24. Alundra thread starter macrumors regular

Most were micro scratches but two of them were so deep they even turned into dead pixels

There were countless of threads with people having the same issue even on the official apple forums

25. Tubamajuba macrumors 68020

Yeah... any scratch deep enough to damage the display is caused by pretty severe trauma to the screen.