Will the iphone be the next blackberry?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by himynameiscody, Oct 23, 2011.

1. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Will it fall off the map soon eventually

2. dweezle3 macrumors regular

dweezle3

Over 4 million iPhone 4S's sold in it's first weekend. I don't think it'll be dropping off any time soon :D

3. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

Oh probably, but not for the next eight years. That's if apple gets stagnant.

4. ap3604 macrumors 68000

5. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Yes ... Yes it will .... On May 14th 2013 I see that Apple and Iphone will fall apart and be sold at public auction.....:D

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I doubt it.

RIM kept to the same product, just releasing tiny updates to hardware. They didn't add new functionality. When they ventured out into new territory, they did so sloppily (the Playbook required a Blackberry to receive email). Their new device was lacking a feature that was their bread and butter - email.

7. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I say it'll be like BlackBerry in terms of the fact that everybody has one. In 2006 every one had a BB, in 2011 everyone has an iPhone. Will it fall off? Only if Apple stops what they are doing right now.

Lack of 4G means crap when a lot of AT&T still has EDGE.

8. Savor Suspended

Savor

Doubt it. At least for the foreseeable future. iOS ecosystem can last a minimum of 10 years.

But I do think that nothing can last forever. Every great empire in history does crumble. Nokia has been releasing cell phones since 1982 and been #1 in volume sales globally since 1998, but look how far off they have fallen in just a few years. Motorola is like the granddaddy of mobile phones and look how it got bought out by Google. Just 5-6 years ago, Motorola was on top of the world with their RAZR.

Five years ago, Symbian, WinMo, BlackBerry, and Palm ruled the smartphone world. Now they are either dead or their OS got completely revamped. Apple not having SJ who was the glue that kept them together is a big loss for Apple and for the entire tech community. He was their spirit, charm, and heart. When Sony lost their original co-founders, Sony was never really the same after that. Apple keynotes will never be the same without SJ. It will get boring now.

People will eventually move away from Apple's restrictive nature or just get bored with the marriage altogether. And who knows how long this app fad will last? Hundreds of apps in our phone that we rarely use. Not everybody is going to sort through 500K of apps forever. This is like music downloads. We got them for free (P2P) or for 99 cents on iTunes, but once we completed our "collection", we moved onto something else. No time sorting through MILLIONS of songs.

9. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I love how everyone thinks a company with over 80 billion in cash can not function without one person. Yes, Steve brought Apple back from the dead. No, he is not the only reason Apple is so large. Mr. Ive is the one designing almost everything and Mr. Forstall is leading the iOS development and we cant forget Mr. Cook who has been running Apple for a while since Steve was sick.

You all act like Apple is dead and burning because Steve is gone. Its not and I am sure they have people that are more than qualified to take control.

10. Icaras, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012

Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Not technically forever, but Apple has remained #1 in the portable digital music player market since they began. 11 years and counting.

I think the iPhone won't end up as a Blackberry because of Apple's strategy and powerful ecosystem. Remember that the iPhone has several other business ventures and hardware that strengthen and support it: iTunes, Apple TV, iPad, Macs, etc. Awesome technology and services like Airplay, home sharing, iCloud, iMessage, and iTunes Match really secure the device's future. I think in order for it to fail, it would take the collapse of the entire Apple ecosystem to bring it down.

Also, their strategy has proven just about perfect. They have updated each iDevice once a year every year since inception. RIM meanwhile, sat on it's laurels and didn't do a damned thing as the iPhone took off. As long as Apple is continuously active releasing new refreshes once a year, they have nothing to be worried about. You need to stay fresh and competitive.

Going back to the iPod success, I just wanted to add that I think the iPad will have the same success and be unphased and undominated for 10+ years. For 2 years, nothing can still touch the iPad's success. And as Android's ongoing fragmentation spirals out of control with both phones and tablets, I don't think they'll ever come close.

11. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

All good things must come to an end.

Won't happen anytime soon. I love Apple as much as anyone else and have all Apple/iOS products. Doesn't mean I am blind though. Nothing lasts forever. Enjoy your devices and deal with whatever happens later. :)

12. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Nothing is eternal. Old classical cliche, no? :D
    However
    iPhone is not going down anytime soon, I say they can be on top for next 5years or so if they can keep what they're doing now.

And if you think Apple has been on top since 11 years ago since the original iPod or iMac. You should rethink and see that actually iPod popularity today is declining so fast now, and ironically it's being eaten alive by its own maker. No more hot events for iPod classic, shuffle and so on. It's all about iOS nowadays.
    The only heartbeat sign from iPod today is iPod Touch, which actually almost left out with outdated A4 chip to keep them barely alive, and iPod Nano which receive almost nothing but minor UI tweak.

MacPro, used to be a Macintosh jewel is now collecting dust waiting for update or discontinuation, no one knows yet. iMac has been updated to a slower pace rather than Apple Macbook line.

So yeah, luckily it's Apple that overthrown itself, but who knows what future would bring. Who's going to overthrown iPhone. It could be no longer Apple.

13. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

The iPhone may fall, but Apple I am sure will come out with other things to keep us praising Apple... iHolographic blahblahs? Nobody knows yet but Apple.

14. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

It is declining, but as it declines, iPhone and iPad is ascending. It's simply a transition into other product lines, but at the same time maintaining top popularity and sales. Bottom line is, the company is still at the top of the food chain.

15. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

RIM didn't add new functionality, really?

C++ to Java: 7200 series to the 7280/90
    Greyscale to colour: 7290
    1 soft button: 8700
    Slim form factor, a proper earpiece for voice calls, trackball navigation for efficiency: 8800
    > also allowed for microsd card use (IT Policy enabled)
    > 8100 allowed the first BB to have a camera.
    CDMA+GSM Euro bands: 8830World Edition
    3G (when it was Still very new): 8707 3G Euro.
    TrackPad: Bold 9700 (memory escapes me on this one).

Need I go on with factual proof?! Clearly RIM did add significant and much needed features - the camera was a HUGE surprise as many BES admin's had thought camera's where a no-no and would never be accepted into the corporate office (unless sneaked in); yet IT Policy allowed it to be blocked. This was rarely done though as storage media encryption served better purpose.

RIM's problem was offering the SAME basic features, the core tennant of its being to every model in the lineup. On top of that RIM kept forcing a hefty price on the APN to their NOC from the providers. Why pay $399 for a Bold 9700 when it was new with a $75/mth PP when you can buy a Curve 9300 for $199 with a $30/mth PP (just add the corporate BES feature SOC - most providers outside of North America didn't separate the plans BES/BIS came added on by default). Their pricing/marketing/and product model became redundant and their achilles heel as time went on.

Apple can fall to the same wayside if their stagnant. But I think Apple's possible loss of iPhone sales will come when the average user is advanced enough to accept other platforms like Android/etc when they wish to further personalize: themes, simplistic methods for ringtones (both free; the latter sourced from their own music), cheaper yet equally powerful and elegant devices ... and most importantly works well with their Mac's - this can occur over time.

16. Breezygirl macrumors 6502

Breezygirl

I think so unless they start to actually use the available technology that their products are capable of but they still withhold from us for no apparent reason. They seem to purposely give us non-leading technology since we will buy their products anway. I'm beginning to feel punished for being loyal. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it works for them now but many of us are sick of the lack of real updates of things that jailbroken iphones have been able to do for "years". We are tired of iTunes stealing our music, being limited to their outragest iTunes rules and after a couple years of same old, same old boring look of their OS. They better step up or I'm moving on as with many of my friends.

17. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

RIM's problem was that its structure was disorganized. If you read an open letter from a former employee, RIM's fall was a long time in coming. The playbook is symptomatic of the problems that plague RIM. If you look at one of the future RIM phones, it's pretty much an iphone copy.
    It's possible that Apple may fall victim to these same problems and miss the next innovation in phones, tablets or music players*. However, no one's psychic on these boards, so we have no true way of knowing.

*When I talk about innovation, I'm talking about the kind that makes google stop copying the blackberry and start copying the iphone.

18. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

QNX an iphone copy. What are you smoking. Its similar to webos but not really similar to ios at all.

19. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

No. iPhone is mini pocket computer that also happens to take phone calls. Can't see a computer going out of date any time soon.

20. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

If they fail to innovate, fail to listen to consumers, get high off their own hubris, then yes, even Apple can falter. No one is immune to change and competition. Consumers are fickle.

21. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I wasn't talking about the OS. :rolleyes: I'm talking about the form factor.

22. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I think Apple is in great hands as far as product development and overall business plan goes. The problem that I think Apple is going to need to deal with soon enough is the fact that when they lost Steve Jobs they lost their salesman in chief. The massive hole that he left is fairly obvious if you go back and look at the first two major product launch keynotes. Both keynotes for the 4S and the new iPad were definitely missing the obvious charisma and unabashed passion that Jobs brought to the stage.

23. nycfly89 macrumors member

nycfly89

no, not until the black clock of death pops up on my iphone

24. blackhand1001, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Apple didn't invent that form factor. And blackberry plans on shipping their classic keyboard phones as well. QNX like android is platform agnostic. It can come in any form factor.