Will the iPhone have 1TB SDD in 5-7 years from now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Aug 4, 2012.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

If they announce 128GB iPhone in September that means in 4 years we should already have 512GB. But that's crazy I can't imagine how much the iPhone changed in just 10 years
    From 4GB to 256GB in less than 10 years.
    I bet it will also be 2GHZ or even more. And octocore

2. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

3. aleni macrumors 68020

512gb is nothing in the future because camera resolution will capture 4k resolution, games will be like console, takes 15-20gb each game, so it's gonna be like right now. 512gb is the norm 16gb in the future.

4. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

I'm not sure why this even matters... The specs will change as needed. With the "Cloud" (the Internet) being faster and more popular, I doubt there will be a need to have large storage on end devices. Same goes for the computational power of the device too.

6. wordoflife, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012

wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

'imma let you finish, but carriers are nickeling and diming their customers for everything.

But yeah, 1TB SSD in 5-7 years? No. 1) it will still be expensive and 2) it is overkill (as far as we can tell, anyways).

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

I'm sorry, when did MacRumors become a place to post useless garbage?

I don't even understand the point you are making, except scepticism. Nice input.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Relax, it was just a joke.

My point: carriers are charging stupid amounts of money for their services, using only cloudbase storage would be expensive for many of us.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

I know I know, sorry - just seems most of the time I'm making points with inbreds these days! hah.

Where are you based? Unlimited data plans are becoming more common (outside of the US I mean!), I pay what, about $20USD a month for unlimited data!! So really, I see that point becoming quite moot in coming years, let alone the 5-7 that the OP is proposing.

10. gta50419 macrumors 6502

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Hehe no worries :)

Ah yeah, I see. In the US they're just getting more expensive for lesser amounts of service. :(

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

the new iphone wont have 128 storage...i think that is the least of people's concerns w/ cloud style technologies

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

We 600's have to stick together ;)

I've heard that! With more money they should be improving the infrastructure - but apparently that isn't the case? How frustrating.. Honestly! wow...

14. AR999 macrumors regular

No

15. wordoflife, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012

wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Aha ... I didn't even notice I was a 600. That is quite scary now that I realise it :eek:

They are improving the infrastructure but still they're being quite annoying about the tariffs and stuff. For example, AT&T decided that they will get rid off all of their text plans except unlimited (the most expensive one), that they would stop selling unlimited data for $30 / mo and start offering 3GB of data for $30 / mo. Oh, and if you still have the unlimited plan, they'll slow you down after 3GB to the point where your phone basically can't use data at all. They even have shared data plans now, but they're not any better for 'most' people. Some people who have really expensive plans may save a little here and there, but majority of the customers don't have $500+ plans, so AT&T still wins.

AT&T is the 'fastest' network for the iPhone, too. Verizon is slower and more expensive. Sprint is even slower in most places although a bit (but not by much) cheaper. Some prepaid networks are offering the iPhone now but their quality is not so great and you have to pay full price for the phone up front. The phone is tied to the carrier (CDMA technology, I tell you) so you can't just jump carriers, which is the main issue. Experimenting with carriers is quite expensive over here, considering each carrier has their own version of the iPhone that you can only use. You only have a few options here, anyways.

I bought 2 new phones recently and they charged a $72 'upgrade' fee (basically swapping out the SIM cards). This might change in a 5-7 years but I can just speak for now

16. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

What does that number mean? 600...like how frequent of a poster you are?

17. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

And we'll complain that downloading a 20 GB app takes almost one full minute! :D

18. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

19. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Yep, the amount of posts determines what generation of mac you get:
    How do user titles work?
    User titles are based on post counts:

Newbie => 0 - 29 posts
    Member => 30 posts
    Regular => 100 posts (minimum required to post in the Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum)
    6502 => 250 posts (minimum required for access to the Marketplace forum)
    6502a => 500 posts (minimum required to have an avatar)
    65816 => 1,000 posts
    65832 => 1,500 posts
    68000 => 1,505 posts
    68010 => 2,000 posts
    68020 => 2,005 posts
    68030 => 2,500 posts
    68040 => 3,000 posts
    601 => 5,000 posts
    603 => 10,000 posts
    604 => 15,000 posts
    G3 => 20,000 posts
    G4 => 25,000 posts
    G5 => 30,000 posts
    etc....

(from macrumors FAQ)

And I don't think that sounds realistic but maybe 512gb might happen 1tb... not that likely too expensive and i dont think on a mobile device people would need it... but how would 2 years is a long time in some ways.

20. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

1TB is not impossible to achieve, but really almost impossible. At least within 5-7 years.
    Why? Currently in the market today, even a 246GB SSD for desktop and laptops are expensive configurations for now. Most would simply just either opt for a hybrid or a normal hard drive. Of course, cost will go down as years go by. But as for now in 2012, a 256GB SSD will cost u maybe nearly 1/3 of the price of a decent 1k computer for a small component of your computer bundle.

The iPhone will not have a 1TB SSD. Why?

1. If the iPhone needs an 1TB SSD, then I suppose the desktop with much more functionalities and demand from its users would demand maybe a whopping 1000TB. Just stating a comparison. A 1TB SSD has no absolute functionality over the fact that is has space and a big one. An iPhone is meant for listening to music, playing angry birds, taking a 1080p video (Which is by the way, can't replace your real camera yet,face the fact!) The iPhone does not serve as a external hard drive and storage, but is mean for media consumption on the go. A phone will never replace a computer, vice versa. Thats what a tablet is supposed to aim to achieve, not the phone. I would not strike out the possibility of a 1TB storage on the iPad though.

2. Unless of technological advancements, a 256GB SSD is still bigger than the iPhone. Technological advancements that is supposed to make this 256GB SSD shrink and fit into the size of the iPhone is not possible. Unless you can find alternatives to the silicon material which all electronics are using which is better of course.

2. A too large SSD in an iPhone may be detrimental instead of beneficial. 1TB SSD may cause its users to dump everything on the phone with no absolute control (Just like how some users treat their computers). Booting up the 1TB filled iPhone will be an issue as it will be a long wait. Also, a small device does not have comparable performance compared to a desktop class or real computers in general/

21. 617aircav Suspended

Yeah way into the future.

----------

Cloud is useless without data, and data is expensive

22. pear21 macrumors 6502

pear21

It probably wont have that much but it will have a lot in todays terms but it wont seem like a lot then. Every generation the cameras, games, movies all get better which means they are going to get larger and larger. I remember our old desktop had 256mb and that was enough 12 years ago.

23. aleni macrumors 68020

I dont understand why people prefer streaming music on the cloud. Without much improvement in battery technology, i wouldn't want to stream my media content from the clouse because it hits the battery life really bad.

24. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Think a 1GB is more likely TBH. Could be sold as a cloud phone, where everything is taken from iCloud. We are talking a good 7 years at least though, so batteries/coverage/data plans can catch up.

Unless we see the debut of iMobileNetwork! :p

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93