Will the iPhone suck as a GPS ? Now that

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Jul 16, 2012.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

Google maps will be gone. Lots of people are saying that the new maps are not even as good and that they need a lot of work and I don't believe that apple will be as complete as google maps are.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If you like Google Maps, then you can not update and still have them. That's what I'll do for a while. At least until I feel Apple's maps are good enough.

3D buildings are not enough to make me switch from StreetView.

3. vistadude macrumors 65816

Google maps are really great, and mapquest works very well and it's free for turn by turn navigation. I won't upgrade to iOS 6 since it seems like a downgrade for iphone 4 users and will fragment apps that depend on google maps.

4. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Google is adamant about having Google Maps on iOS in some way or form. It'll probably be a free app. Probably won't be able to make it your default map app, though.

As usual, it's Apple's way or the highway.

5. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I imagine you'll be seeing a Google Maps for iOS launching VERY soon after the new iPhone.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If they do launch this, then I will update; otherwise, I will not touch iPhone OS 6 with a 6 foot pole.

7. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I'm right there with you.

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Streetview is nice but after using iOS 6 maps since beta 1 I find I need navigation much more. It's integrated so well I've completely stopped using all my other navigation apps. I don't miss streetview all that much to be honest and I thought I would a lot.

9. vistadude macrumors 65816

I doubt google maps would be free since google charges OEMs to put its google apps on android phones. Although for old iPhones it might continue to be supported for more years as apple is probably still paying google for maps.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I don't think Apple ever paid Google. Google voluntarily threw in the back end support for the iPhone. After all, Google does generate income from iPhone Map searches every time a "Sponsored" link appears.

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Maps wasn't even a fully fledged nav app. It won't matter for me as I'm using TomTom. Maps isn't the only nav app by a long shot. If you're relying on Maps as a nav app then you should really check out the alternatives.

12. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

maps.google.com "add to home screen" now you have google maps on your iphone.

13. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

Oh hell yeah. Google is probably developing that as we speak. Can't let all those Maps users go away so easily. We'll see that App in no time, with features like downloadable offline maps.

14. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted

I think the iPhone will still make a great gps, since I mostly use gps functionality with motionx for hiking and biking. :)