Will the majority of Americans be obese by 2030?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, May 7, 2012.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This is kind of scary. Even the conservative estimate is not good. Will the people of the US look like the humans in Wall-e someday?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/featu...to-rise-but-how-high-20120507,0,3598126.story

2. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Do you mean that with regard to health care costs?

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I think the better question is if people really like living/eating this way or if its the marketing that is tricking them into eating processed garbage? Yes, we have nutritional labels, but most people won't read, let alone comprehend what they mean. Has there been any attempts to make a simple and intuitive system of labelling that allows people to evaluate their choices in one glance?

You have all the glitz and flashiness of marketing campaigns telling people about how you can eat **** in a box as part of a balanced diet, I think its time that the government enforces a proper labelling system. Even something as stupid as coloured dots to tell people how ****** this food is for you evaluated by an independent third party.

5. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I hope so

I'm ripped like a UFC fighter and the less competition I have for the ladies the better.

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Why sir! I am surprised you would advocate for such nanny-state liberalism! I've marked this date in my calendar, BTW. ;)

Seriously though, a big part of the problem is also getting people to get off their butts and move. My mom and my aunt have both developed diabetes in their 60s (definitely lifestyle related). That's ridiculous. This kind of ting should not be happening.

7. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

If it's one thing I have learned, it's that it doesn't matter how simply put something is. People eat what they like, not what they should.

Label: This product will probably give you cancer! Consumer: But is it good?

Label: This product killed several animals! Consumer: But is it good?

Label: This will make you obese and significantly shorten your life! Consumer: But is it good?

Label: This will kill you in three seconds, do not eat this. Just go home already. Consumer: It's my right to consume what I want, wraaaaah!

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You realize the ladies are included in this statistic so it will just be harder for you to find one who didn't just knock down 4 double cheeseburgers for a midnight snack.

9. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm still shocked at the current rate- 35%. That's already really bad.

10. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Zombie ...your logic is beginnning to damage my calm. :p

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I always laugh when people obsess about terrorism being the biggest danger to America. It's not, obesity is.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Maybe the fear of terrorism causes them to eat more. :eek: the terrorists have won.

13. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Maybe this will help with our SS problem. If people stop living to 100, maybe they'll be some money left for me when I retire.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

As an advocate of Survival of the Fittest, I see nothing wrong with this approach.

Just try to catch them before they reproduce.

:rolleyes:

15. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
  16. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

The prediction that I helped with when working on a State public health board on childhood obesity was 1 in 3 children born in 2000 will have Type 2 Diabetes (which is almost always weight-related) by age 35-40, if current trends continue. Diabetes accounts for more amputations than any other cause, combined. Our prediction was largely based on the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS) and Medical Expenditure Panel Survey (MEPS), which are both solid predictors of risk factors and health trends thanks to a few decades of continuous data 'flow'. We also came to a unanimous agreement that the traditional class 1-3 obesity is no longer substantial in recording how 'extreme' an obesity case is. Since then, class 4 and class 5 obesity have become more commonly used. The increasing rate of young children with class 3+ obesity is absolutely alarming. There are many children under 5 feet tall that weigh over 250 pounds. This is a huge risk factor.

Obesity is the single biggest barrier to good universal care IMO. Why? Because the cost of fighting obesity and the conditions that come from it is astronomical. The conditions that come out of all, all chronic and long-term or life-long, are among the worst you could have. If you are very obese then you are probably going to die early from at least one of the many diseases from obesity. Chronic diseases now account for about ninety percent of healthcare dollars spent. While the solution to obesity on paper is simple as consume fewer calories than your burn, the actual means to achieve this requires a substantial life change for many.

17. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

In lots of way really. Market regulation, Fast Food/Sweets/Candy taxing, "Healthy Food" subsidy, Education reform, Health Care changes.

Obesity is a cultural problem which literally takes a generation to change, I just don't see with America's violent political swings happening anytime soon. Especially one with a government who wanted to declare pizza a vegetable.

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

For some or perhaps the majority this may be the case, but I find that marketing is particularly misleading these days and I don't have the time to be a nutritional expert on top of my other jobs. It would be nice to be able to look at a label and know either "this is healthy" or "this is complete ****" with one glance. Added to the fact that if food producers had to put a label that basically said their food was ****** for you they might even change their content.

Unlike say cigarettes there are more healthy alternatives to most foods that taste comparably good, companies currently just go by whatever is cheapest. A proper labelling system may stop this.

19. IntelliUser, May 7, 2012
    Last edited: May 7, 2012

IntelliUser macrumors 6502

I think around 65% of Americans are already overweight, so this is not that surprising. But it sure is disgusting and unsustainable in the long run. I don't know how the millions of Americans that are obese can look in the mirror every day and not think: "Maybe I'm doing something wrong..."

20. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

New Zealand isn't far behind - 28% of kiwis are obese!

21. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

While I think that would probably help I think there are a lot of factors that cause this.

There's a few things I notice, not being from the U.S. but spending a few months every year there:

- Portion sizes: I remember going to a restaurant in the U.S. where the meal I ordered was so big that I ate until I was very full, my boyfriend ate part of it as well, we took the leftovers home and still had a meal for the both of us. That's insane! That being said, most restaurants in Portugal have very big portions as well. But there the portions are meant to be split. Usually one portion is split by two or even three people, and then there's half portions for individuals. I don't know if it's just my impression but I don't think I ever see people in the U.S. splitting portions, I don't know if it's a cultural thing.

- A lot of the flavour in food comes from fat: I've eaten mashed potatoes in the U.S. where all I could taste was the cream and butter, not even a hint of actual potato flavour. Salads come with incredibly fatty dressings. Simple tomato sauces are often super greasy. I think a lot of people in the U.S. don't even know what a lot of food and ingredients actually taste like. If you really want some extra flavour in food why not some lemon, garlic, herbs, spices?

22. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I think there are a lot of known factors contributing to obesity and also some unknown ones (possibly environmental toxins? changing genetics?). But one factor that I don't see mentioned too often is that a substantial portion of us are on psychiatric drugs, many of which cause weight gain and diabetes. I went on Zyprexa, at a low dose, about ten years ago and I gained 50 lbs at least in the course of a few months. I'm now on different drugs which also cause weight gain but to a lesser extent, but I have developed type II diabetes and I am obese. I have been a vegetarian my entire life and do not eat processed foods. My main issue is with the medication I take at night called Seroquel. After you take it, it is a hunger like no other. I have tried to force myself to lie in bed and not get up and my body actually goes into what I can only describe as being like a seizure if I don't eat. And if I do manage to fall asleep without eating I will wake up a half hour later needing to eat (which is no fall small feat given how sedating Seroquel is). I am currently tapering off of Seroquel, which took quite a long time to muster the courage to do.

What I have learned from my experience is that it is possible for the *brain* to be hungry in a way that does not at all relate to your need for food, and it is not just a matter of willpower. I don't know what about Seroquel causes a feeling of torture if you don't give in and eat, but I have to wonder whether people who are very obese feel the same thing. It's opened my mind up to the possibility that there are variations that cause overeating and hunger that are more complicated than just being bored. Because I couldn't force myself to eat in the day what I feel I have to eat at night.

For now I am one of the 35% (I'm 6'2" and 235 lbs) but I hope to be rejoining the overweight and hopefully one day the "normal" weight masses. I am exercising, eating as well as I can (except for late night--where it's not that I eat bad, but I eat high volume), and cutting down on the drugs as I am able to.

I guess my point in starting this is that there are a lot of people on these drugs. They're not great stuff.

EDIT: I wanted to add my most successful weight loss tip so far: journal everything you eat. It helps a lot.

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Totally. American portion sizes are ridiculous, especially in the large chain restaurants. Couple this with a tendency to eat foods high in fat and sugar (such as some of Starbucks' drinks) and it's easy to see how this has happened.

I'd say there are many Americans who think salt and pepper are the only spices available.

I also think it's the increased consumption of heavily processed foods. Americans eat bagel bites and hot pockets, and if you spend anytime reviewing the nutritional facts on the back of one of those things you immediately begin to recognize that these things only resemble food.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Lee, given you are well muscled are you not technically obese under body mass index or at least overweight?

25. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

That's an interesting point about the limitations of BMI, however, I'm not sure that the lion's share of people fall into the well-muscled, but "overweight" category.