Will the MBP come with Lion X and iCloud for free?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by insmgg, Jun 15, 2011.

1. insmgg macrumors member

Apologies if this has already been asked. Will these programs come free (and pre-installed?) with the purchase of a MBP or will we have to pay the same upgrade fees as everyone else?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It won't come pre-installed until Lion is released. Apple has stated that Macs purchased between now and the release will get the update for free.

3. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

You get Lion for free if you purchase a MBP today. In the near future it will come pre-installed. iCloud details haven't been fully released yet.

4. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

I cloud is too far away. I feel like I don't really want to use Mobile Me anymore till then lol. Or really organize anything manually anymore haha

5. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

6. insmgg thread starter macrumors member

Any guesses on when Lion X will come pre-installed? I have to buy a laptop by mid July at the latest. Any point in waiting?

7. saberahul macrumors 68040

No one knows when it will come pre-installed. Just to be clear - if you purchase your MBP after June 6th, 2011 - you will receive the upgrade for free from the Mac App Store. It's as simple as going there and downloading it. I bought my MBP yesterday so I will also get Lion for free.

8. ApplePu macrumors regular

Well they just said that the release will be anytime in July. Not very precise......

As Lion is free anyway if you purchase your Mac now, in my opinion there is no reason to wait......who knows, probably you will be glad someday that you've got Snow Leopard as well....if you buy now, you get both.....

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

Even if Lion ships on, for example, July 20, that does not mean that a new MBP will have Lion on it. It depends on a number of things. If you buy one in the store, it will most likely not have lion, but the upgrade will be free.

10. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

11. Just "Vinnie" macrumors member

Just remember, you only have 30 days after release date to get your free copy.

There will be no waiting around for 10.7.1 unless the initial Lion release has some major flaw.

And snow leopard users are lucky in that regard as we'll be able to roll back should Lion prove a disappointment. New mac owners won't have that option.