Will the new iPhone be announced at WWDC?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by borgqueenx, May 30, 2013.

1. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

Or do you believe the rumors that it will not launch so soon?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

3. simsaladimbamba

The iPhone 5s or iPhone 6 will be announced in September or October, WWDC will be for iOS and OS X.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The WWDC. There's not much changing, so there's no real reason for much of a delay in bringing it out.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The truth of the matter is that we really don't know. Apple has changed up their announcements and release schedule before. They may do so again. Or, they may stay on the current "cycle" that they have been on for two years.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

In the past they've announced new versions of IOS at WWDC, give some idea about what it will do, and the developers get a preview version to start work. It takes about 3 months for testing and final development, so a new iPhone won't be out before Sept most likely.

7. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

This.

Not this. There aren't secrets anymore. We would have significantly more information if a new phone was likely to come out at WWDC.

8. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Good question. Anythings possible, however according to the powers that be too many things going on .Bottom line, probably late summer

9. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

Nope . iOS 7 is going to take the stage and osx updates and MacBook refresh ....

10. dmx macrumors 6502

I agree with the consensus of no, but I don't think you can really be sure. Apple has surprised us in the past - and if this is simply an iPhone 5S without a complete redesign, it's possible that it could happen. But seeing as this would only be 9 months after the 5... I doubt it.

11. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

we should have previewed iOS 7 in march for new iphone to launch in june WWDC. so yeah it's a no.

12. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Yes, yes it will.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes, but there are rules.

1) They are not going to announce the phone and then not put it on sale right away.

2) They are not going to put out iOS 7 quickly without giving developers time with it.

3) And they are not going to release the next iPhone without iOS 7 on it.

Add those 3 together (and the knowledge that developers don't yet have iOS 7) and you can safely deduce that there is zero chance of the new iPhone being announced at WWDC.

Exceptions that prove you need an explanation in order to "get around" these rules:

* They pre-announced the first iPhone because there were no sales of previous models at stake. Not the case anymore.

* The last time they changed the iPhone schedule they went forward in time not back, so it avoided these issues.

* The last time they moved a release up in time (the last iPad) they did so without changing the OS which they can do on an iPad but won't do with the phone.

14. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Given the rumors of revamped iOS, I doubt we will see a new phone this summer. I am going to guess that the new iOS will go through multiple betas with a release date sometime in September/October. It will be released with a new phone.

But, then again, I do not work for Apple. Only Apple knows what will happen and when.

I wouldn't mind Tim Cooks doing another "one more thing" though! :D

15. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

agree... but then we just had a secret launch of a new iPod touch and we had absolutely no clue that was going to happen... Just saying. The lack of clues is not evidence that we won't see a phone. Do I think we will? Probably not. But I can't be sure. And that's all that I am saying here.

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I am answering the OP's question of if there will be a "new iPhone."

I promise you that if Apple announces an iPhone 5 with the camera removed and the price lowered, the OP will in no way consider that "a new iPhone" and thus the answer to his question is still 'no.'

I'm not saying Apple can't surprise us in some way. (Hell, maybe they'll announce a watch!) I'm just saying they can not surprise us in the specific way the OP is asking.

17. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

it seems stupid to announce a phone without putting it on the shelf immediately... it would be an incredible auto goal! I think we will see only the new software....

18. Sparticu$ macrumors member

Based on what I've read the only thing I'm expecting is iOs 7

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

19. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

4) They launched iPhone 5S supported by incremental iOS 6.3. Announce new features not to be launched until Fall.

Could also substitute iPad 5 in that sentence.

Can't look to past. iPhone 4S was delayed, the 3 phones before it were unchanged. Pattern shattered. Careful not to put so much weight on irrelevant patterns :)

I don't really think or expect either pad or phone.

20. TouchMint.com macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com

I am also voting No on a new iphone just yet. I could see them revealing a new ipad and not releasing it for a month or so though.

21. cnev3 macrumors 6502

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

None of this negates what I said. I even specifically mentioned the 4S delay in my argument.

In order for there to be a new iPhone next month Apple would have to break one of my 3 assumptions, and there has been no arguments yet about which one they'd supposedly violate or how they would do that.

23. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Hey man, you quote ME. Forgive me for thinking it was a direct response to my quote. :eek:

Regardless, he asked about a new iPhone. Technically speaking, anything different would be new, right? Fact is, we just don't know what is coming. We have ideas, but we have been surprised before.

24. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

The Tim Cook "pipeline" is only 1 1/2 inches wide, so a new phone definitely will not fit through.

25. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Agree 100%. Well said. This should be carved in stone.