Will the new iPhone have Arm Cortex A15?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nathan20, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Nathan20 macrumors regular

2. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

I, and others here, are psychic so we can definitely answer this question.

The answer is: maybe.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, just an intell i8.

4. zbarvian macrumors 68010

Apple would really be ahead of the curve if it did, but sadly I doubt it will.

5. SR71 macrumors 68000

You never know. TSMC is already manufacturing them, and Apple did try to buy out one of their factories or something and they declined. Apple has a lot of money and as we all know, money talks. They could easily persuade a chip maker to manufacture them and they could spend some of their $100 BILLION in their war chest on R&D for the new A15 chips to make sure they perform to Apple's standards.

They've got all that money and nothing to spend it on, and with the new iPhone, a new iPad Mini, and a new iPod Touch, they're going to make A LOT of money this holiday season. They'd make all the money they spent on R&D of the new chip back in under a quarter with their profits only going up from here.

6. kannesss macrumors 6502a

7. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

If I had to pick, I'd say no.

It's too early, it'll most likely have a shrunken A5.

2013 for A-15.

8. brucethemoose macrumors newbie

Qualcomm's S4, which has been on shelves for awhile now, is basically a customized A15, and like Qualcomm, Apple always produces their own custom ARM designs. The A9 based A5 (confusing, isn't it) has been around for awhile, so an A15 based iPhone is long overdue, really. TI, Samsung, and others have A15 designs in the pipe, and this iPhone chip will be competing against them.

I would love to see a dual A15, and I think it's possible. Sadly, we'll probably get a shrunken Apple A5 or A5X.

9. SR71 macrumors 68000

Well, you never know. I mean, Apple does have over $100 BILLION in the bank with nothing to spend it on. They could spend a couple million on the development of the A15 based chip, some R&D, and they'd have the best next-gen chip. Couple this with a redesigned iPhone, LTE, a larger screen, etc., and you've got one incredibly fast phone with most likely VERY good battery life. That's my dream phone, hopefully Apple uses its money on this. :)

10. brucethemoose macrumors newbie

Mine too.

It's basically impossible though. TSMC can't even produce enough 28nm chips to meet the (relatively) small demand from Qualcomm, and other fabs haven't caught up. Apple needs ALOT of chips for an iPhone launch... 32nm MIGHT have the capacity Apple needs. Seeing that the revised Apple A5 uses that same process, we're probably gonna see another revised Apple A5.

11. ek9max macrumors regular

Weren't there leaked photos of the iphone with an A6?

[​IMG]

12. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Pretty sure they were declared fakes due to photoshopping on the A6 sign. I'll never understand why people spend their time creating fake "leaks" like this. Oh well…