Will the new Samsung Galaxy S2 give the new Iphone 5 run for it's money

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chadf652, Sep 26, 2011.

1. chadf652 macrumors newbie

I'm still rocking the Iphone 3GS, I've been able to upgrade since July. I've been holding out for the Iphone 5. Samsung has really brought a lot to the table to compete with apple everything from the Samsung's design to the specs. I can't really decide now if I should invest in the new Samsung or the Iphone 5. Will Iphone 5 be able to compete or come close with samsungs new phone?

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I'm going for the Galaxy SII this year.

Who knows, maybe next year the iPhone 6 will wow me more than other offerings.

3. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

The Galaxy S 2 has been out since April. The Galaxy S 3 or Nexus Prime are going to be the real contenders.

4. batting1000 macrumors 604

For now, the GS2 will, but soon, it'll be the Prime and the GS3.

5. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

6. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

The S2 is old, not to mention it's already outdated with the S2 HD coming out in Korea.

7. chadf652 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not even released on AT&T until October 2nd. Hows it old news?

8. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Because it's been out everywhere else in the world for a few months now. The States is the last country to get the S2.

9. film major macrumors member

It's not really old news, that's a bit of a stretch. We still don't know when the Prime or SG3 are going to be released. You might see the Prime on Verizon in a few months but you won't see the SG3 here in the states for a good long while.

Technology moves quick. As soon as you buy a phone something else is bound to come out and be better.

10. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

11. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Maybe if it's a 4S, but because the phone has a shiny apple logo on it, it probably won't.

12. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

T Mobile, Sprint and ATT all recently got it or will be getting in the near future.

It is not old at all, its the most advance android so far excluding note, claiming that the S2 is outdated because it hasn't been released in the US is incorrect.

After all US is the biggest phone market in the world, it dictates whether a device is old, not UK or Korea, they only have a small % of population when put against the US.

China and India is not taken in to account since they are "developing countries"

As with Africa who does not even have a full mobile infrastructure.

13. eye macrumors 6502a

eye

14. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Yup. The same way the Galaxy S gave iPhone 3GS/4 a run for its money...not.

15. 7even macrumors 6502a

The A5 chip spanks the Galaxy S2's processor in most benchmarks. So... maybe?

16. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

1) I didn't say it was old news, that was someone else.
    2) USA is not the world. Just because AT&T was slow to get it doesn't mean is hasn't existed. Over 10 million GS2s has been sold to date.

17. walie macrumors 6502a

Incorrect

18. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

^^^ Actually, I think Engadget posted an article saying 20mill.

But no, it's not "old news". US is a major market for this. I'm sure it will sell millions in the first month of it's release.

Yes, a phone that's announced TODAY and won't release for a while will make a phone that's still one of (if not the) best phones on the market outdated..:rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm sure I'll get downvoted since I'm favoring with Android. Yes, I use Android. Oh well, I'm not against Apple, I'm not against iOS. I'm not against iPhones. If the iPhone is a better phone and can do things better than it's direct competitor, then I will gladly purchase it. But for now, I like my Android :D

19. boss.king, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011

boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Um, how about we do include China and India. It doesn't matter if they are developing or not, a sale is a sale. The US is not the biggest market, nor does it dictate what gets sold. The companies themselves do that. Did the US dictate whether the GS2 should be sold? No.

Also, what are you talking about when you say Africa doesn't have a mobile infrastructure? Africa isn't a country, open a book once in a while. If you had bothered to do any research whatsoever before making a fool of yourself you would know that there is mobile infrastructure, South Africa is even trailing their LTE network.

It was the iPhone that's sold 20 million (in the last quarter).
    http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/219...martphones-samsung-group-mobile-and-wirel.htm

20. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

It's your device and you like it because it suits your needs. Definitely not going to down vote your decision because that's just wrong.

21. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

the only way the galaxy S2 will compete with the iPhone is if apple doesn't change the design. my friends and i have been discussing this with all the rumors out. normal non tech people don't care about specs. They want a nice looking phone that does what they want. the iPhone 4 looks nice however normal people might take it as a stupid upgrade. a lot of people didn't upgrade to the 3GS from the 3G. if apple changes the design and makes another nice looking phone people will be more likely to upgrade because its "different."

my belief is that if apple wants to stay ahead of android and gain more market share they need a new design. there will be a lot of 3GS owners that are going to upgrade however, there were a lot of ip4's sold. even if apple only upgraded to A5, more ram, better camera, and HSPA+ and the dual GSM CDMA chip on a new design they would sell more imo than if apple didn't change the design. back when they had the 3GS from 3G transition there was no android to compete with. Apple was the big player and now they competition to compete with. a week or two will tell. lets hope for something good. come on Apple :D

22. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

You know what"s getting old? The iphone 5!

23. theperipheral macrumors 6502

The S2 definitely competes with the 4...I played with it yesterday and it is pretty freaking awesome. In fact, if I had to choose between an upgraded iPhone 4 and the GS2, I would go with the GS2. The screen is awesome.

Yeah, it's been out on Earth for 5 or 6 months, but it's not out in the U.S. until the 2nd of October. The fact of the matter is that most people will never care about internal specifications...it's about what they can see. With the GS2, they see a huge screen, they see a very thin design and they feel the lightness of it.

If Apple releases an iPhone 4 clone, they will be losing my money to the GS2, and I imagine they'll be losing thousands upon thousands of others. It may not be a huge percentage, but it will affect them in some way.

I will definitely jump on the iPhone if it's redesigned with a bigger screen, or I'll wait till they actually do make some good choices and release a bigger model.

24. lilo777 macrumors 603

As you might have seen in today's news people prefer Android to iOS (in mobile phones) at 2 to 1 ratio. For most folks out there iOS is a liability not an attraction.