will the next gen of macbook pros destroy resale value of this one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The Final Cut, Aug 18, 2011.

1. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

with all the talk of a MAJOR update to the MBP line, will i still be able to get the 75%+ resale value out of my 13" i5 MBP? i purposly bought this one because i figured the 17" would loose even more money in the long run...

also on a side note, how come I did not get lion with this mac? i ordered it non custom/BTO from apple online store? how do i get lion?

oh and dam is it hard getting to this low res screen again lol

2. randomrazr macrumors 65816

macbooks generally hold there resale value alot

3. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

Apparently, I could still get my 2006 MBP 15 sold for $300. That's pretty good for an old laptop.

4. karohan macrumors 6502

I disagree. Even though Macs hold their value well in general (especially compared to PCs), the drop in value after a refresh is contingent upon the magnitude of modifications. For example, the 2011 refresh was pretty major with the introduction of quad core CPUs and Thunderbolt. This led to a pretty substantial drop in the resale values of 2010 MBPs (far more than the drop in 2009 MBPs when the mid-2010 MBPs came out). If the 2012 MBP refresh is as huge as you say (an external redesign, for example), expect the resale value to drop considerably and I wouldn't guarantee 75%. Regardless, if you want to maximize resale value, I would scope out the likely release date for the new Macbook Pros and sell yours just before.

5. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Timing is everything. If you want the best price, now's the time to sell. If you wait until the release date is announced for the upcoming new model it will be far too late. Even though Macs have the best resale, when a new model is about to be released, there's a significant drop in resale value of used models.

6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Even though a refresh will certainly drop the resale value, Macs hold their value fairly well. Especially if it is kept in good condition with original box etc. At least in selling Macs via the marketplace on this forum, original documentation and box is worth some $$.

7. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Excellent points.

Each time I buy a new Mac, I keep every bit of packaging along with the original box. It does indeed make quite a difference when it's time to sell.