Will the next nmb be “the next big thing”?

beatitjean

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2015
34
5
Recently,I've been struggling to make the decision of purchasing a 12 inches nmb.Given that the price of the new macbook has been fell to the bottom(I could get a base model at 1150 $),I'm on the verge of buying one.However,I've never used a Mac before.I've already have a powerful windows laptop(i7 4790K 4.0GHZ,GTX 980M GPU),I intend to use nmb as my second laptop which is more portable than my main laptop.So I can carry it to library and do some typing work,or watch some videos during the travel.
The question that bothering me is should I wait for the next generation nmb which may equip with more powerful hardware,longer battery life(that's the most essential for this kind of laptop,10 hours seems fair to me),better front camera.
 

beatitjean

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2015
34
5
Yes. You should always wait unless you need it now, or you want to be an early adopter. V2. Apple products are infinitely better.
I don't need it right now,but I want to know whether the waiting is worth it.Macbook pro 15 (2015 mid) seems like a downgrade to the early version except the force touch trackpad
 

Queen6

macrumors 604
You shouldn't expect major improvements with Skylake.
GPU will have up to 40% greater performance over the current Retina MacBook, improved battery performance and a slight increase in CPU performance.. It`s also possible that the 2nd generation Retina MacBook will also offer TB-3 over USB C, and as others have stated Apple will have gleaned a great deal of metric from us first generation owners, so naturally the Skylake MacBook will be significantly better.

Q-6
 
  • Like
Reactions: AirdanMR

whodatrr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2004
672
490
There will always be a better machine on the horizon.

I tend to buy open-box, whenever I can. This often means waiting several months after a release, but the savings is worth it. We just bought two rMB open box, both for under 1k. I have no doubt that an update will come along that bumps specs by ~20% across the board, the current ribs are good enough for what we do. Considering we saved about 25% each, not a bad bargain.

Regarding TB3 over USB-C, my gut says that'll never happen. MB is designed to be a mobile system, and not a powerhouse. USB-C offers a lot of flexibility there, with a huge ecosystem of cheap & good stuff coming down the pipeline. And USB ports & chargers are ubiquitous.

I guess the question is what do you want from this Mac? If you want it to serve both a desktop and laptop role, you may want to wait. External display support is likely to be improved with the next rev. But for the light load it seems like you're looking for, the current rev will likely hold you over quite nicely.

I say buy a cheap open box now, or wait for the bumped new one. Either way, you're good.
 

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
1,134
442
Irvine, CA
There will always be a better machine on the horizon.

I tend to buy open-box, whenever I can. This often means waiting several months after a release, but the savings is worth it. We just bought two rMB open box, both for under 1k. I have no doubt that an update will come along that bumps specs by ~20% across the board, the current ribs are good enough for what we do. Considering we saved about 25% each, not a bad bargain.

Regarding TB3 over USB-C, my gut says that'll never happen. MB is designed to be a mobile system, and not a powerhouse. USB-C offers a lot of flexibility there, with a huge ecosystem of cheap & good stuff coming down the pipeline. And USB ports & chargers are ubiquitous.

I guess the question is what do you want from this Mac? If you want it to serve both a desktop and laptop role, you may want to wait. External display support is likely to be improved with the next rev. But for the light load it seems like you're looking for, the current rev will likely hold you over quite nicely.

I say buy a cheap open box now, or wait for the bumped new one. Either way, you're good.
I agre with that. I get laptops open box or very slightly used. You may have to wait, but with a laptop its not as important to me to have the latest and greatest. I still disagree with getting the current generation though. Its a great portable computer, but its not fully living up to its potential. Version 2 should fix most issues and bring some big improvements, especially with graphics.
 

Queen6

macrumors 604
There will always be a better machine on the horizon.

I tend to buy open-box, whenever I can. This often means waiting several months after a release, but the savings is worth it. We just bought two rMB open box, both for under 1k. I have no doubt that an update will come along that bumps specs by ~20% across the board, the current ribs are good enough for what we do. Considering we saved about 25% each, not a bad bargain.

Regarding TB3 over USB-C, my gut says that'll never happen. MB is designed to be a mobile system, and not a powerhouse. USB-C offers a lot of flexibility there, with a huge ecosystem of cheap & good stuff coming down the pipeline. And USB ports & chargers are ubiquitous.

I guess the question is what do you want from this Mac? If you want it to serve both a desktop and laptop role, you may want to wait. External display support is likely to be improved with the next rev. But for the light load it seems like you're looking for, the current rev will likely hold you over quite nicely.

I say buy a cheap open box now, or wait for the bumped new one. Either way, you're good.
Smart Moves on the purchasing. As I travel a lot as a function of business, I look to pick my Mac`s up in countries where such products are tax free.

Regarding TB-3 over USB C I am 50/50 The rMB is a premium product and only TB-3 adds to to the kudos, and very much fits in with Apple`s Mantra for the rMB. The real question is after the redesign of the RMB`s diminutive Logic Board for Skylake, will there be space for Intel`s Alpine Ridge TB-3 controller? I guess we will find out Q-1 next year, equally I doubt either of will be disappointed :)

On a side note chipsets for USB C are still very scarce on the ground, hence the low adoption which is also a factor.

Q-6
 
  • Like
Reactions: AirdanMR

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
1,806
625
It will have a new slightly better processor and maybe a 720p webcam. I don't know what people are expecting...

The thing to look out for is a price drop. Maybe they'll make a 128GB/8GB model for $999.

There will always be a better machine on the horizon.

I tend to buy open-box, whenever I can. This often means waiting several months after a release, but the savings is worth it. We just bought two rMB open box, both for under 1k. I have no doubt that an update will come along that bumps specs by ~20% across the board, the current ribs are good enough for what we do. Considering we saved about 25% each, not a bad bargain.

Regarding TB3 over USB-C, my gut says that'll never happen. MB is designed to be a mobile system, and not a powerhouse. USB-C offers a lot of flexibility there, with a huge ecosystem of cheap & good stuff coming down the pipeline. And USB ports & chargers are ubiquitous.

I guess the question is what do you want from this Mac? If you want it to serve both a desktop and laptop role, you may want to wait. External display support is likely to be improved with the next rev. But for the light load it seems like you're looking for, the current rev will likely hold you over quite nicely.

I say buy a cheap open box now, or wait for the bumped new one. Either way, you're good.
Where did you get such a big discount? Best Buy?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ghost31

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
1,134
442
Irvine, CA
It will have a new slightly better processor and maybe a 720p webcam. I don't know what people are expecting...

The thing to look out for is a price drop. Maybe they'll make a 128GB/8GB model for $999.



Where did you get such a big discount? Best Buy?
It was open box so they can't sell it full price.
 

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
1,134
442
Irvine, CA
The 1.3 is supposedly a bigger bump that that much clock would traditionally indicate. But I also distrust eBay...
Actually eBay is very safe for sellers. eBay buyer protection is very good. However, there's a lot of shady sellers and buyers. I had to use buyer protection once this year out of 3 big purchases there. Also, I had a buyer promise to pay an extra $40 for one day shipping, but they ripped me off